Leo, Ibrahim, Spain and Egypt: Why is some meddling ok?

ruserious

Taoiseach says no date confirmed for Ibrahim Halawa's return to Ireland

News from the journal today on the Ibrahim case. Well no news really. He's still detained, but interestingly once again points out that Leo and Simon have been on the phone to their Egyptian counterparts looking for answers. This has been a Constant feature of the Ibrahim Halawa case. Irish politicians interfering in the Egyptian courts and legal system demanding his release and answers.

Contrast this to Leo's stance on Catalonia where apparently the Irish State will not recognise the referendum because we do no want to be seen as interfering in an internal Spanish legal matter. That the referendum was "illegal" (look at our own State's birth to smell the hypocrisy).

Betson

To be honest I see no harm in diplomats , politicians trying to 'interfere' in behalf of an Irish citizen overseas. He has been found not guilty and should be released. I hope they would do the same for any Irish citizen , whether they would or not is debatable.

But as an Irish citizen he has rightful expectations that the Irish state will work on his behalf when he is been deprived of his rights in a foreign state. We should not pick and choose what cases that applies to, it should apply to all.

ruserious

You're right. I actually think the State had an obligation to Ibrahim. I just find the hypocrisy over Catalonia stomach churning.

Sync

There's no hypocrisy. They're utterly different situations. A better (Though still flawed) analogy would be Ireland speaking out about Myanmar and not Spain.

artfoley56

To be honest I see no harm in diplomats , politicians trying to 'interfere' in behalf of an Irish citizen overseas. He has been found not guilty and should be released. I hope they would do the same for any Irish citizen , whether they would or not is debatable.

But as an Irish citizen he has rightful expectations that the Irish state will work on his behalf when he is been deprived of his rights in a foreign state. We should not pick and choose what cases that applies to, it should apply to all.
and yet the state are picking and choosing; compare the treatment of halawa with how Michael dwyers family have been treated or how often Eanna Ó Cochláin is raised in the dail

Shpake

I came across a letter in today's financial times. It compared the EU's mild comments towards the Spanish govt & police knocking old ladies about and compared it with the EU's heavy interference in Pl, HU Cz & SLK....
Shame I didn't make a copy of it.

eoghanacht

and yet the state are picking and choosing; compare the treatment of halawa with how Michael dwyers family have been treated or how often Eanna Ó Cochláin is raised in the dail
I only came across the latter fellow recently, a disgusting abuse by the Philippinos.

owedtojoy

News from the journal today on the Ibrahim case. Well no news really. He's still detained, but interestingly once again points out that Leo and Simon have been on the phone to their Egyptian counterparts looking for answers. This has been a Constant feature of the Ibrahim Halawa case. Irish politicians interfering in the Egyptian courts and legal system demanding his release and answers.

Contrast this to Leo's stance on Catalonia where apparently the Irish State will not recognise the referendum because we do no want to be seen as interfering in an internal Spanish legal matter. That the referendum was "illegal" (look at our own State's birth to smell the hypocrisy).
When did the Irish "demand his release"?

My understanding is that they tried to expedite his trial, or his release on bail, by diplomatic means. In fact, Ibrahim Halawa's family and lawyers were very dissatisfied with the Irish government's handling of the case.

Get your facts right before you shoot your mouth off.

Reducing complex problem to cartoon good guys and villains is a habit with piesters. Thread to the zoo.

Shpake

When did the Irish "demand his release"?

My understanding is that they tried to expedite his trial, or his release on bail, by diplomatic means. In fact, Ibrahim Halawa's family and lawyers were very dissatisfied with the Irish government's handling of the case.

Get your facts right before you shoot your mouth off.

Reducing complex problem to cartoon good guys and villains is a habit with piesters. Thread to the zoo.
I'd be interested to know how he was handled differently from the Egyptians who were arrested alongside of him. His PR or legal team certainly made full use of the narrative of "young, sixteen-year-old, Irish holiday-maker getting accidentally caught up in the "troubles" in Egypt." --- along with his sisters.
Then we find that his Da is a bigwig in the Muslim Brotherhood!
I think the truth is the first casualty in a lot of conficts... legal and in war.

Karloff

Stand back, relax, think. Is Spain really like the Egyptian junta? I mean really as in facts, reality based assessment.

I fear in your mind this is 1937 Spain.

The Egyptian junta has murdered imprisoned and tortured tens of thousands of people.

Karloff

I'd be interested to know how he was handled differently from the Egyptians who were arrested alongside of him. His PR or legal team certainly made full use of the narrative of "young, sixteen-year-old, Irish holiday-maker getting accidentally caught up in the "troubles" in Egypt." --- along with his sisters.
Then we find that his Da is a bigwig in the Muslim Brotherhood!
I think the truth is the first casualty in a lot of conficts... legal and in war.
The MB is a largely peaceful organisation. I bet that comes as a surprise to you to hear that.

It should tell you a great deal that even the US has not designated it a terror group. The only ones who do are a few dictatorships from the region and Russia (probably a political arrangement to smooth over relations with Sisi and others).

Meanwhile just today Boorish Johnson made a half joke comment about the dead in Sirte Libya, a city his country bombed to bits and then delivered into the hands of ISIS. But we know who the good guys are don't we?

Shpake

The MB is a largely peaceful organisation. I bet that comes as a surprise to you to hear that.

It should tell you a great deal that even the US has not designated it a terror group. The only ones who do are a few dictatorships from the region and Russia (probably a political arrangement to smooth over relations with Sisi and others).

Meanwhile just today Boorish Johnson made a half joke comment about the dead in Sirte Libya, a city his country bombed to bits and then delivered into the hands of ISIS. But we know who the good guys are don't we?
True or False: The aim of the Muslim Brotherhood is to create a state governed by Islamic Law?

pumpkinpie

Ridiculous post, you must be trolling.

razorblade

The MB are a pack of murderous genocidal maniacs no way should they ever be supported anywhere.

fergal1790

In Egypt this guy is treated as an Egyptian because of his Dual Citizenship. They are under no obligation to recognise his Irish passport or citizenship in any way.

The Egyptians may well hold him for another year or two to teach the Irish government to stay the fook out of Egyptian sovereign internal affairs and if they do there is nothing Leo or any other twat of a minister can do about it.

New Threads

Most Replies