Leo Varadkar is a symptom of a deeply insecure country

parentheses

Fairly excoriating article about our new Taoiseach. However it seems she regards Varadkar as really only a manifestation of the low self esteem and shaky sense of identity of the collective Irish nation.

Instead, with a ************************-eating ingratiating grin, he launched into a frankly deranged ode to a Richard Curtis film.
But largely it's how familiar the whole miserable dynamic is: the Irish politician doing some half-hearted clowning for his perceived betters, desperate as a bullied kid to just be liked no matter what it takes.
Ireland, despite its fierce nationalism, is barely capable of conceiving of itself as a country.
The longer Ireland continues in this way, allowing ourselves to exist as an embodiment of other nations' projections, the less real we eventually will become materially, clapping and jigging and gee-whiz-begorrah-ing our way into a state of perpetual objectification.
https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/d38w47/the-irish-prime-minster-keeps-embarrassing-ireland-and-irish-people

Spanner Island

Fairly excoriating article about our new Taoiseach. However it seems she regards Varadkar as really only a manifestation of the low self esteem and shaky sense of identity of the collective Irish nation.

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/d38w47/the-irish-prime-minster-keeps-embarrassing-ireland-and-irish-people
Megan sounds like a bit of a self loathing chip on her shoulder tool tbh...

She probably doesn't even see it in herself either... when looking at herself in the mirror...

Clanrickard

If there is any self loathing here it is the witless woman who wrote this article. Another soft left right on analysis of the crash that is total and utter BS.

Man or Mouse

If there is any self loathing here it is the witless woman who wrote this article. Another soft left right on analysis of the crash that is total and utter BS.
She must have missed the bit where Leo described us not as an island on the periphery of Europe, but an island in the middle of the universe.

petaljam

Megan sounds like a bit of a self loathing chip on her shoulder tool tbh...

She probably doesn't even see it in herself either... when looking at herself in the mirror...
I didn't read to the end of the article, there was too much sheer nastiness instead of any actual criticism of Varadkar for me to bother, so maybe the second half had some substantive points that I missed, but from what I saw it wasn't even self loathing so much as petty generalizations based on class - she doesn't like Leo Varadkar because she doesn't like his accent and his social origins.

It's ok apparently to dislike him because he's from a wealthy family. I wonder whether she thinks it's ok to dislike him because his father's Indian? Or is that different? :roll:

That's not a right/left thing, BTW, I read exactly the same on here about Minister Zappone - how dare an American play any role in this country. It's the pettiest attitude possible, and I don't really come across it in England or in France, except from the most thuggishly open racists.

greengoose2

I didn't read to the end of the article, there was too much sheer nastiness instead of any actual criticism of Varadkar for me to bother, so maybe the second half had some substantive points that I missed, but from what I saw it wasn't even self loathing so much as petty generalizations based on class - she doesn't like Leo Varadkar because she doesn't like his accent and his social origins.

It's ok apparently to dislike him because he's from a wealthy family. I wonder whether she thinks it's ok to dislike him because his father's Indian? Or is that different? :roll:
Maybe she dislikes him because he is a waffler and fairy story teller!

statsman

petaljam

Maybe she dislikes him because he is a waffler and fairy story teller!
But she didn't say that, did she? (Never mind actually give any examples)
She went off on a rant about his unpleasant accent and his well-off parents.

statsman

It did a pretty good job of nailing the obsequiousness he has displayed since becoming Taoiseach.
It struck me as playing the man and not the ball all the way through.

petaljam

It did a pretty good job of nailing the obsequiousness he has displayed since becoming Taoiseach.
Obsequious to whom? What should he have done differently? Engaged in long awkward handshakes?
(I've no very strong opinion on Varadkar, positive or negative, though possibly slightly more negative so far, but I can't see that this article was anything other than a bit of spite.)

Mercurial

It struck me as playing the man and not the ball all the way through.
The reference to his accent was unnecessary, but I think the article's central point was that Varadkar is "a symptom of a deeply insecure country", and a lot of what it says in that regard rings true, in my view.

I think it raises some interesting issues about how citizens of former colonies understand their nations, even if one doesn't agree with the author's particular diagnosis in the Irish case.

Mercurial

Obsequious to whom? What should he have done differently? Engaged in long awkward handshakes?
(I've no great opinion of Varadkar, positive or negative, though possibly slightly more negative so far, but I can't see that this article was anything other than a bit of spite.)
In Varadkar's case, obsequious to Theresa May and Justin Trudeau in particular. Though again, the article was not suggesting that this trait is unique to Varadkar, but rather a flaw of the Irish political establishment (and perhaps Irish people) more generally.

petaljam

It seems to me that the reference to his accent was not just unnecessary, it typified the whole article. But as I say, it had the effect on me that I stopped reading shortly after, so maybe I missed the substantive points. TBH from what I did see, there weren't any.

Basically, as Statsman said, I think there are lots of criticisms to be made of Varadkar, but she didn't make them, and also the criticisms she extrapolated from him to the rest of the country were actually better illustrated by her own article than by anything she said about LV?

Spanner Island

The reference to his accent was unnecessary, but I think the article's central point was that Varadkar is "a symptom of a deeply insecure country", and a lot of what it says in that regard rings true, in my view.

I think it raises some interesting issues about how citizens of former colonies understand their nations, even if one doesn't agree with the author's particular diagnosis in the Irish case.
Looking at the UK and the Brexit shambles is doing wonders for the national esteem of former colonies...

It's been and continues to be a real eye opener... and not in a good way for the UK.

Volatire

Varadkar is the smartest Taoiseach since Charlie Haughey, but without the corruption.

Very impressive so far. His open contempt for the whinging leftie is a breath of fresh air in Irish politics.

blinding

Ah ! Sure they have been lying on their backs getting their bellies rubbed by the EU for years........This also has the added advantage of not doing any real work....The EU and the Civil Service are running the Country.........

EU Quislings All...............

New Threads

Most Replies