• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Leo Varadkar -Why it wouldn't be in our interest to cut high pay/pension of bankers

poolfan81

Leo on morning Ireland this morning

We will tackle high pay and pensions to the "extent" that they can

His reasoning for not cutting high pay and pensions were that

"If the high pay and pension are cut then we will receive less tax and revenues"

"We aren't paying them directly it runs in the same way as semi states like the ESB etc

I ask why then did they bother looking for semi states to take cuts in pay

Its on podcast of you download around 20 minutes

D

Dylan2010

Amazing if he said that. Can they cut me a cheque for a million, i'll spend in Ireland honest! , its like the nonsense the union "economists" come out with. Another case of Cargo Cult mentality taking over Ireland.

niall78

Afraid his own pay or pension might be cut. Any rules that might be changed to penalise or rein in failed bankers could easily be applied to the failed political class of which he is a member.

Hewson

Is one Leo thread not enough for you?

I like Leo because he speaks his own mind, even if I don't always like what comes out of it. But he seems to be missing the point in the controversy over outlandish pay and pensions, and that point is fairness. A sense of fairness in a time of recession is important. Who's willing to endure more cutbacks, tax hikes and extra levies while the boys and girls sitting at the top (you know, the ones who dumped all this sh!t on us) are sitting pretty with large six-figure pensions?

So it's more than just your tax take, Leo, though that's important too. It's making sure that the anger is defused before something bad happens.

Your twitterings don't help.

culmore

There goes Loes chance of ever leading FG . We are so luck these dublin guys did not get their way and remove Kenny. HUP MAYO

odlum

We should be paying more to the heads of the banks really. They are under paid compared to their peers in Europe. If we want to attract the best from at home and abroad I think their pay should be increased.

No doubt the begrudgers will object.

B

birthday

Is one Leo thread not enough for you?

I like Leo because he speaks his own mind, even if I don't always like what comes out of it. But he seems to be missing the point in the controversy over outlandish pay and pensions, and that point is fairness. A sense of fairness in a time of recession is important. Who's willing to endure more cutbacks, tax hikes and extra levies while the boys and girls sitting at the top (you know, the ones who dumped all this sh!t on us) are sitting pretty with large six-figure pensions?

So it's more than just your tax take, Leo, though that's important too. It's making sure that the anger is defused before something bad happens.

Your twitterings don't help.

I think this pension thing is going to run and run. It is all about fairness. Poor Leo cannot grasp that.

To be honest I am surprised that more younger people are not enraged: those who will now have to wait until 68 to retire with significantly lowered pension rights are sitting back and watching AIB staff retire at 50 (presumably paid for by taxpayer), massive untaxed lump sums going to retiring public servants, senior civil servants retiring at 53 on €114k pension, AIB etc using taxpayer money to fund their underfunded and over generous pensions.
Talk about the govt dividing and ruling!
It really is the unions who are into dividing and ruling! No mention anywhere of the massive intergenerational transfer of wealth to their older members.

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CBwQFjAA&url=http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2011/1117/1224307707174.html&ei=0TydUNbdHIi3hAfA9oDoDA&usg=AFQjCNHPLRpexmy4NXP8atyRXhgcv4UU-A

Instead the masses seem to be getting worked up over a measly €100 household charge while they are paying multiples of this in taxes and cuts through feathering the nests of the vested interests.
Deluded fools!

YouKnowWhatIMeanLike

There you go Leo Not one more red cent! Varadkar

if we own the banks we have to pay the salaries and take the loss. What exactly do you want the bankers to do? Gamble again on the international money markets? Go short on this or that currency? so we can build a much much bigger bubble the next time?

Leo you are one pathetic liar, pay them more from our money so we make more is that the kind of bullsh*t they teach you in Blanchardstown?

Prester Jim

Leo on morning Ireland this morning

We will tackle high pay and pensions to the "extent" that they can

His reasoning for not cutting high pay and pensions were that

"If the high pay and pension are cut then we will receive less tax and revenues"

"We aren't paying them directly it runs in the same way as semi states like the ESB etc

I ask why then did they bother looking for semi states to take cuts in pay

Its on podcast of you download around 20 minutes
Varadkar is a total lightweight, the more exposure he gets the less impressive he becomes.
Someone should take the microphone out of his hand, quickly.

dresden8

Leo is one of those bastards who think that public sector workers on 30 40 or 50k a year are greedy ************************s and should be chucked out on their ears.

Total ************************.

making waves

We should be paying more to the heads of the banks really. They are under paid compared to their peers in Europe. If we want to attract the best from at home and abroad I think their pay should be increased.
jeysus h f*cking christ - haven't you lot of gombeens done enough damage without coming out with this nonsense

Have you just got the 2 lines which were taken out of the 7 min interview? Looks to me, who listened to the interview, that have taken 2 lines out of context.
No they weren't - Varadker is a typical down-the-line right-wing establishment politician protecting the interests of the wealthy

daveL

No doubt the begrudgers will object.
Running down failed banks is definitely something we should be paying top bucks for

bonkers

Have you just got the 2 lines which were taken out of the 7 min interview? Looks to me, who listened to the interview, that have taken 2 lines out of context.
Is there anything that FG will say or do that you wouldn't defend?