Leo Varadkar will not support direct rule for NI

McSlaggart

Northern Ireland Secretary James Brokenshire has said that while the UK government does not want a return to direct rule, time is running out to restore devolution.
Leo Varadkar insisted that there would be only two options if talks fail; either to call Another assembly election, or convene the British-Irish Intergovernmental Conference (BIGC).
The taoiseach (Irish prime minister) suggested he would seek the latter, adding that little would be gained from another snap election.
Leo Varadkar will not support direct rule for NI - BBC News

Catalpast

Northern Ireland Secretary James Brokenshire has said that while the UK government does not want a return to direct rule, time is running out to restore devolution.
Leo Varadkar insisted that there would be only two options if talks fail; either to call Another assembly election, or convene the British-Irish Intergovernmental Conference (BIGC).
The taoiseach (Irish prime minister) suggested he would seek the latter, adding that little would be gained from another snap election.
Leo Varadkar will not support direct rule for NI - BBC News
We have the right to be consulted on what the British Government intends to do

- and they are obliged to listen

But we cant force them to do anything

The British Government would need to proceed with caution here.....

McSlaggart

We have the right to be consulted on what the British Government intends to do

- and they are obliged to listen

But we cant force them to do anything

The British Government would need to proceed with caution here.....
The UK government has lost all credibility in dealing with the situation in the north due to their links with the DUP.

I am scared that brexit could work out a total disaster for all the counties in Ulster the way that the DUP/Conservatives are dealing with Brexit.

CastleRay

The UK government has lost all credibility in dealing with the situation in the north due to their links with the DUP.

I am scared that brexit could work out a total disaster for all the counties in Ulster the way that the DUP/Conservatives are dealing with Brexit.
You're scared? I would appear that's exactly what you hope for.

GDPR

I wonder what Leo little girls' socks is playing at.

One thing I'm pretty sure of it that he doesn't want a united Ireland for several reasons.

Glenshane4

I am glad that the Eire government does not regard direct rule from London as the best option for Northern Ireland.

BUT what does the Eire government consider to be the best option for Northern Ireland? I fear that the government of Eire wants a return to Prod rule in Northern Ireland. If that is not their ambition, what do they want?

McSlaggart

Your the person who voted for the UK to get out of the EU?

At the time I said that even though I though it would speed up the end of British rule in this part of the Island that I would still vote for the UK to stay in. The reunification of the Island on a political basis is bound to happen and I wish it to be as painless as possible for all concerned. Brexit is understandable but disastrous for the people of Northern Ireland.

vivabrigada

I read this on Twitter:
Varadkar's absolutely right. Northern Ireland's not been an 'internal' UK matter since Anglo-Irish Agreement. Unionist blowhards are raging against the dying of the light."
Nail on the head.

Mickeymac

Absolutely 100% correct McS.

CastleRay

At the time I said that even though I though it would speed up the end of British rule in this part of the Island that I would still vote for the UK to stay in. The reunification of the Island on a political basis is bound to happen and I wish it to be as painless as possible for all concerned. Brexit is understandable but disastrous for the people of Northern Ireland.
All you ever do is express desire for Brexit to be a disaster. It's oozing out of you.

I have always said that I believe there would be a short-term adverse economic impact on the UK from leaving the EU but that I felt that it was for the best and mid to long-term it would have economic benefits. I still believe this to be the case. I also believe that it would be better for the Republic of Ireland to leave the EU but that is a choice for it. One thing for certain is that Northern Ireland leaving the UK and particularly with no trade deal with the UK would be economic chaos.

CastleRay

I read this on Twitter:
Varadkar's absolutely right. Northern Ireland's not been an 'internal' UK matter since Anglo-Irish Agreement. Unionist blowhards are raging against the dying of the light."
Nail on the head.
You grasp at any old tweet for any chance of hope. Nothing new there.

Mickeymac

Beats me as to why and understand Britain opting to leave a market consisting of half a billion people right next door to them, unbelievable and most certainly not understandable IMHO.

GDPR

All you ever do is express desire for Brexit to be a disaster. It's oozing out of you.

I have always said that I believe there would be a short-term adverse economic impact on the UK from leaving the EU but that I felt that it was for the best and mid to long-term it would have economic benefits. I still believe this to be the case. I also believe that it would be better for the Republic of Ireland to leave the EU but that is a choice for it. One thing for certain is that Northern Ireland leaving the UK and particularly with no trade deal with the UK would be economic chaos.
I saw a post on another forum a while back arguing that Brexit might actually turn out to be excellent for the Northern Irish economy. His arguments seemed sound enough to me at the time but economics isn't one of my strong points.

AhNowStop

Good grief ... the cheek of this fella yapping about people pointing out the awful implications which will result from Brexit & the decisions of the coalition of crackpots.. the coalition which he supports and the Brexit which he voted for ...:?

Ye really couldn’t make these morons up :roll: ffs ...

vivabrigada

You grasp at any old tweet for any chance of hope. Nothing new there.
Excuse me?
There was a political debate going on and someone made this pertinent point which you simply ignored.

Sword of Gideon

I read this on Twitter:
Nail on the head.
Do you believe everything on Twitter or is just the bits that suit your idiotic theories?

McSlaggart

Beats me as to why and understand Britain opting to leave a market consisting of half a billion people right next door to them, unbelievable and most certainly not understandable IMHO.
It is not rational that they wish to leave. The way that Brexit was sold was great at stirring old patriotism and a general fed up attitude to all these people from across the EU coming into their small towns and villiages.

vivabrigada

Do you believe everything on Twitter or is just the bits that suit your idiotic theories?
Sweet fukin Jesiz.
I qouted someone from an interesting polical debate on Twitter and already two posters criticise me, one calling me idiotic, but ignore the point I posted.
Where do you start with these clowns?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies