Leo Varadkar Withdraws Support for the Good Friday Agreement

Shannon73

There is a difference between unity with a tiny majority and unity with a large majority - meaning that Unionists had voted yes

I think he is expressing the view that unity of mind of the majority is what is ideal.I can't agree that he is rejecting the GFA at all - he is just embellishing it to have a more acceptable situation when the referendum comes about.

ruserious

We saw how well that worked, some of us think we should learn from others' mistakes.
Err...the principal of consent codified in the GFA has lead to the end of violence and a path to peace.

Fr. Hank Tree

There is a difference between unity with a tiny majority and unity with a large majority - meaning that Unionists had voted yes

I think he is expressing the view that unity of mind of the majority is what is ideal.I can't agree that he is rejecting the GFA at all - he is just embellishing it to have a more acceptable situation when the referendum comes about.
Maybe that would be ideal, but we don't live in an ideal world and the rules are the rules.

Northsideman

Err...the principal of consent codified in the GFA has lead to the end of violence and a path to peace.
Indeed and must be upheld, but he has not said he is rejecting it.

ruserious

Saying that 50%+1 is not enough is ipso facto a rejection of the principal of consent and ergo, The Good Friday Agreement.

ainm_eile

In principle that is wrong

- but the reality its a statement of the Realpolitik of the thing

Best that can happen in the decades to come is a Nationalist led Assembly in the North that moves in tandem with Dublin

TBH there will be a Civil War down the line

I wont be around to see it

- but its coming....
There is no way of putting this nicely: it wasn't the Albanians in Albania that the Kosovo Serbs had to worry about.

If the Unionists want to keep up an atmosphere of violent menace and lock themselves in a cage with Nationalists that's their prerogative, but Realpolitik suggests it won't work out.

Fr. Hank Tree

He's challenging a core aspect of it - the principle of consent.

Under the maxim nothing is agreed until everything is agreed, and the reality that GFA is a package, it's fair to say he's rejecting it.

Northsideman

Saying that 50%+1 is not enough is ipso facto a rejection of the principal of consent and ergo, The Good Friday Agreement.
But he did not say that, in fact he said he would dearly love to see a UI, you are making things up.

Eoin Coir

The op is misleading.He criticises SF for asking for it now, that it is premature at this time of uncertainty.

ruserious

But he did not say that, in fact he said he would dearly love to see a UI, you are making things up.
He has changed the parameters. He would love to see a UI but only with Unionist support (a redundant label in this case) which is a departure from the principal of consent. The cornerstone of the GFA.

ruserious

The op is misleading.He criticises SF for asking for it now, that it is premature at this time of uncertainty.
Yep. I believe SF should wait until the realities of the impending disaster become felt rather than known.

Northsideman

It's not just that it's pure porkies, made up lies.

Northsideman

He has changed the parameters. He would love to see a UI but only with Unionist support (a redundant label in this case) which is a departure from the principal of consent. The cornerstone of the GFA.
He has not rejected the GFA and I am sure will clarify that, you seen a headline didn't read the acticle and are now backing up bigstyle.

Boy M5

I am no Blueshirt but I will be amazed it he does not clarify this quite quickly.

If he confirms it is his position he is sunk without trace,
It's taken you this long to tumble him?
There's plenty like him in YFG too. He's their pin up.

Boy M5

it is an international treaty.
Vlad is now aligned with Michael Gove who tried undermine the GFA

Fr. Hank Tree

He has not rejected the GFA and I am sure will clarify that, you seen a headline didn't read the acticle and are now backing up bigstyle.
He has rejected a key provision, a provision which the rest of the agreement was contingent on. Therefore, he effectively rejects GFA.

A six year old child would be able to follow this logic - why can't/won't you?

sic transit

Inference dear boy. Read the article.
This is how rumours get legs! Varadkar tends to think aloud and there is a point to consider in relation to using crude demographics for such a fundamental change in political definition.

Gurdiev77

The Good Friday Agreement allows for a United Ireland if a majority of the people both North and South support and vote for Unification. This principal has been accepted by nearly all parties, politicians and governments since 1998 and nobody has, until now, challenged this principal.

In a stunning speech to members, potential Fine Gael leader believes a simple majority is not enough!

Sinn Fein's push for border poll 'alarming', says Varadkar - Independent.ie

For someone who is a serious contender to lead Fine Gael and perhaps the government, this is a stunning departure from previously accepted parameters.

He believes that Unionists must also be happy and willing to join the Republic or we could see a return to violence. Mr. Varadkar does not account for the falling levels of violence since the GFA promoted the principal of consent however.

I believe this will alienate the rural FG vote and Simon will presumably benefit from this.

A United Ireland is for the first time in decades, a real possibility once the realities of Brexit take hold. This speech by a potential Future Taoiseach is both alarming and suggests that Varadkar does not support the GFA as the basic principal of consent is not enough for a United Ireland.
50% plus 1 , imo is not a sufficient majority for major structural change .
The British brexit vote was insanity, and should have required that at least 60% and possibly 65% of the electorate were behind the decision.
It is too much of a struggle to carry virtually half the population reluctantly, and will make it almost impossible to make a success of it.

Watch the UK struggle, as it tries to calm the increasingly distressed and vocal 48%

I would love to see a UI, but if its to be embarked upon there has to be a groundswell of support to make a success of it.

sic transit

He has rejected a key provision, a provision which the rest of the agreement was contingent on. Therefore, he effectively rejects GFA.

A six year old child would be able to follow this logic - why can't/won't you?
No six year old I know could follow this nested logic! A 50.1% majority brings a whole slew of problems with it.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom