Leo Varadkar Withdraws Support for the Good Friday Agreement

blinding

I suppose its just Varadkar's way of saying that Nationalist / Republican Voters are not of equal value to Unionist Voters....

The Fine Gael Mask slips again . They are a partitionist party and will pursue policies to ensure partition continues.....

These Blueshirts are Red /White and Blue Shirts..........

Boy M5

No six year old I know could follow this nested logic! A 50.1% majority brings a whole slew of problems with it.
You fellas need look at this holistically.

The reason why that is the test is that "consent " was introduced. No change with out a majority in the North agreeing.
Given there's a unionist majority in the North - no change.
Nationalist Ireland recognised the unionist veto.
We gave up our sovereignty, SF entered an assembly.

That is why the test could only be 50% +1.

It is utterly shameful that this poppinjay Varadkar, yet again shouts his mouth off, with lack of knowledge.
He is not fit for government and he is not fit for a leadership role in government.
He maybe academically smart, but in reality he is of low natural intelligence & arrogant enough to not care what impact his words carry.

Last edited:

Simply

A majority for a united Ireland isn't enough but it does matter.Politicians can't infulence the birth rate,their job should to be to unify the island with a peaceful and democratic model.

ruserious

No six year old I know could follow this nested logic! A 50.1% majority brings a whole slew of problems with it.
Like it or lump it, that is the GFA. As voted for by the people of Ireland.

Fr. Hank Tree

I suppose its just Varadkar's way of saying that Nationalist / Republican Voters are not of equal value to Unionist Voters....

The Fine Gael Mask slips again . They are a partitionist party and will pursue policies to ensure partition continues.....

These Blueshirts are Red /White and Blue Shirts..........
Like I said above, this might be part of a good cop bad cop routine. Fianna Fail/Sinn Fein talk about a UI, FG are the sympathetic voice to unionists. Someone mentioned realpolitik and that's a good word.

Remember Fine Gael are arch-Europhiles. They're also deep state.

sic transit

You fellas need look at this holistically.

The reason why that is the test is that "consent " was introduced. No change with out a majority in the North agreeing.
Given there's a unionist majority in the North - no change.
Nationalist Ireland recognised the unionist veto.
We gave up our sovereignty, SF entered an assembly.

That is why the test could only be 50% +1.
Oh I'm good on the holistics thanks. Generation(s?) of work still to be done in the North to mitigate the tribal tendencies. 50%+1 is just a numerical measure and in realpolitik a complete disaster.

sic transit

Like it or lump it, that is the GFA. As voted for by the people of Ireland.
I'm being pragmatic as any politicians countenancing such a vote would have to be. 50%+1 is a very bad target.

sic transit

Maybe you think so, but that's the threshold we democratically endorsed on this island nearly two decades ago.

You may think it's a bad target but frankly that's irrelevant now.
You also used the word realpolitik yourself. That's a far better measure of the desirability of a vote on this. Trying to get 50%+1 looks like bulldozing, through crude demographics.

HenryHorace

Varadkar is a dangerous anti working class pro big business loon. If he has his way people will be working for peanuts and we will see the massive class divide grow bigger in this country.

We will see a United Ireland hopefully in my lifetime and there is nowt Varadkar or the west brits FG party can do about it.

Henry94.

The Agreement is quite clear and it was debated in detail at the time. There cannot be a higher bar for a United Ireland than there is for the UK status quo. That is the deal we are all signed up to. I read Varadkar's ham-fisted intervention with horror this morning. But then I remembered we are talking about the Sunday Independent which supports Simon. It's possible he was misrepresented. He needs to clarify his support for the Good Friday Agreement urgently.

Last edited:

ruserious

You also used the word realpolitik yourself. That's a far better measure of the desirability of a vote on this. Trying to get 50%+1 looks like bulldozing, through crude demographics.
Crude demographics is what clings NI to the UK at present.

sic transit

Crude demographics is what clings NI to the UK at present.
Really not true at all. And you'd actually think it's a good idea to copy that "model"?

ruserious

Really not true at all. And you actually think it's a good idea to copy that model? Yep I'm sold.
Oh I'd like to see current Unionists roll behind a United Ireland but it isn't needed. 50%+1 is all that is required and if you don't support this, then you don't support the GFA as voted on by the People of Ireland.

Fr. Hank Tree

Realpolitik is what I think FG are in engaging in, as opposed to crypto-unionism, by re-writing the rules.

But let there be no doubt that what Varadkar is doing here is effectively re-writing the rules.

sic transit

The Agreement is quite clear and it was debated in detail at the time. There cannot be a higher bar for a United Ireland than there is for the UK status quo. That is the deal we are all signed up to. I read Varadkar's ham-fisted intervention with horror this morning. But then I remembered we are talking about the Sunday Independent which supports Coventry. It's possible he was misrepresented. He needs to clarify his support for the Good Friday Agreement urgently.
Coventry?

Fr. Hank Tree

Oh I'd like to see current Unionists roll behind a United Ireland but it isn't needed. 50%+1 is all that is required and if you don't support this, then you don't support the GFA as voted on by the People of Ireland.
Which makes him technically a dissident.

Varadkar is also now a dissident. FG a dissident party?

Ceartgoleor

Varadkar's lack of vision shows why he would make a poor leader of FG. He might be smart alec with a good soundbite but this speech shows a astounding lack of vision and objectivity.

We all know he is speaking for the Blueshirt s and is by instinct aligned with anti nationalists, however to patronise Northern nationalists like he does bodes ill for FG's future in a free Ireland. SF of all people have spent years making peace and working with Unionism. They know what is going on up there.

It doesn't require a little FG'er from the 'deep South' to lecture people in Northern Ireland on their rights and what's achievable or not.

sic transit

Ah the specious if you're not with us line of attack.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom