• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Leo Varadkar's €80 Clamping Fee Limit - Far Too High!

Killerbank

Leo Varadkar's proposal to "limit" clamping release fees to €80 is being reported on as if this is somehow a reasonable amount to charge.
I strongly disagree! €80 is a draconian penalty for what might be a very minor transgression of parking regulations. Not to mention the indignity and inconvenience of being delayed and the public embarrassment of being forced to wait at the clamped vehicle for the clampers to come and release it - irrespective of the fee charged for this "service".

Varadkar not for turning on

For myself, I would consider any threat of clamping my car for not paying the correct parking fee or for not correctly displaying the ticket (from which they removed the adhesive some time ago) for overstaying the parking period by a few minutes to be completely draconian!

Whatever happened to parking tickets with moderate penalties for minor parking transgressions? Why and how did it become the first step to put a clamp on a car thus delaying the freeing up of the occupied space?

The proposed maximum of €80 is a very substantial charge (ten times the hourly rate of minimum pay) and something like €20 (four or five times the parking fee) might be a more reasonable penalty with perhaps €40 for a second offence within a month.

Dublin City Council have put forward the disingenuous argument that statistics on repeat offences show that for a very small minority of people the clamping fee has weak deterrent value. Do these statistics reflect whether such repeat offenders have their clamping fees paid for by employers or their companies? for myself I consider the risk of clamping my car to be a very serious deterrent even if there were no release fee - the delay and embarrassment in themselves is worth taking the trouble to avoid.

For some very well off people, any clamping fee may be affordable but for most people the proposed €80 would represent a very severe and unaffordable imposition. Imagine someone in mortgage arrears or on welfare and barely able to make ends meet and getting caught by clampers for arriving back from say a job interview a few minutes late and having to find €80 just to get back the car they probably can barely afford to keep on the road. That is the reality of life for many people - a world far removed from the smug life of Dublin City Council officials and of the Minister.

Sync

So don't park illegally. I fail to see why the rest of the world needs to be put out/endangered due to people's inability to manage their own time or because they were too lazy/incompetant to park correctly.

ShoutingIsLeadership

So don't park illegally. I fail to see why the rest of the world needs to be put out/endangered due to people's inability to manage their own time or because they were too lazy/incompetant to park correctly.
That's quite the battle outside Hollis Street hospital. I had to run out and feed the meter, not long before the baby popped out!

controller

SeanieFitz

That's quite the battle outside Hollis Street hospital. I had to run out and feed the meter, not long before the baby popped out!
Generally I do not have an issue with clamping however I do believe that there should be some leeway for those visiting/attending hospitals. The whole issue of parking charges/clamping in hospitals needs to be addressed
I was in Tralee General Hospital some time ago and an elderly man asked me to help him with his parking ticket, he didn't know how to work the pay machine. It transpired that his parking fee was something around €20 and he was genuinely upset at the cost, it was a huge sum to him.

Ulster-Lad

Having to pay the exorbitant parking fees at hospitals should be investigated. Why are people parking at hospitals you might ask but it is all about money sadly enough.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Generally I do not have an issue with clamping however I do believe that there should be some leeway for those visiting/attending hospitals. The whole issue of parking charges/clamping in hospitals needs to be addressed
I was in Tralee General Hospital some time ago and an elderly man asked me to help him with his parking ticket, he didn't know how to work the pay machine. It transpired that his parking fee was something around €20 and he was genuinely upset at the cost, it was a huge sum to him.
Sitting ducks. It's how we fund our health services, in this country.

B

Boggle

I don't get why clamping is legal. It's interfering with the property of others, especially when the car is towed and penal rates applied to get the car back.

It strikes me as sacrificing justice for expediency and it is something that should have no place in a civilised society.

Aindriu

I don't get why clamping is legal. It's interfering with the property of others, especially when the car is towed and penal rates applied to get the car back.

It strikes me as sacrificing justice for expediency and it is something that should have no place in a civilised society.
They don't tow them as that sets off the alarm. It also requires the handbrake to be off and the gearbox in neutral. They pick them up and put them on a flatbed.

Half Nelson

Holles St. is a piece of cake compared to the Mater area, where certain meters inexplicably won't accept coins at certain times and while you walk out of sight to the next meter the clampers dart out their hiding place.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Holles St. is a piece of cake compared to the Mater area, where certain meters inexplicably won't accept coins at certain times and while you walk out of sight to the next meter the clampers dart out their hiding place.
Have you tried breaking their legs?

'orebel

Orbit v2

Varadkar comes out of that article looking fantastic:
Yes, but ....

But speaking after he announced plans for a clampdown on rogue clampers and a new regulator for the private clamping industry, Mr Varadkar (pictured) said he did not favour an increase.
Please God. Not another new quango .... :shock:

Victor Meldrew

Or are the a$$holes who park in disabled spaces...

Half Nelson

Please God. Not another new quango .... :shock:
.. with plush offices and a visible staff of one, who also doubles as the security man.