Leo Varadkar's referendum wish list.

Degeneration X

Varadkar is insistent on holding a referendum on the abortion issue in the first half of 2018. However he has now expressed support for a series of other constitutional changes to take place over the next few years.

These include:

• Reducing the time in which someone can get a divorce
  • Blasphemy
  • Extending the vote to citizens abroad
  • The establishment of a unified patent court
  • The role of women in the home
  • Changes to how the Ceann Comhairle is elected.

What do you think? Do we need referendums on some,none or all of these issues?

Do People believe Varadkar will be in power to see any of these initiatives through?

You'll be voting in quite a few referendums over the next two years

Roll_On

Surely divorce times can be reduced without a ref? the legal leeches would oppose it and they're a powerful lobby. It'd be interesting alright. They should be paired properly not like the last ref in which we had ssm, a massive issue, and a simplistic age reduction for presidential candidates. Explosive issues should be voted on without being paired up.

Congalltee

Where the issue with the Ceann Comhairle?
I assume non-controversial ones like women, patents and blasphemy can be held on day of presidential election.

A simple repeal of the 8th will be defeated, as will votes for non-taxpaying emigrants.

Degeneration X

Surely divorce times can be reduced without a ref? the legal leeches would oppose it and they're a powerful lobby. It'd be interesting alright. They should be paired properly not like the last ref in which we had ssm, a massive issue, and a simplistic age reduction for presidential candidates. Explosive issues should be voted on without being paired up.
Agree divorce, since 1995, seems like something that could be dealt with by the Dail and Seanad or the Supreme Court.
Also didn't they change the way the Ceann Comhairle was elected in 2016 without a referendum? What do they want to do that requires a referendum?

Mushroom

Also didn't they change the way the Ceann Comhairle was elected in 2016 without a referendum? What do they want to do that requires a referendum?
Maybe it's to give Constitutional protection to the new system of electing a CC.

Currently it's only a Dáil Standing Order so I assume that the method of election could be changed by a simple Dáil vote.

Finbar10

Varadkar is insistent on holding a referendum on the abortion issue in the first half of 2018. However he has now expressed support for a series of other constitutional changes to take place over the next few years.

These include:

• Blasphemy

Do People believe Varadkar will be in power to see any of these initiatives through?

If they seek to delete the reference to blasphemy in the constitution, then fine. However, if they seek to replace it with some secular incitement to religious hatred clause, which Aodhón Ó Riordáin was suggesting a few years back, then no thanks!

On extended the vote, if it was extended to ex-pats in general elections (maybe people would keep a vote for a specified period after leaving Ireland), then great. However, this will probably be to something symbolic like Presidential elections (I think that's what the citizens convention was confined to discussing). If so, wouldn't be against it as such, but it would be more a gesture.

I don't know enough about the implications of the women in the home clause. There might well be specific advantages to women to having this clause, e.g. a uniquely advantageous alimony regime in Ireland has been suggested (in women can get alimony indefinitely after a divorce). If so, this might be a controversial one. This might be an equality measure that does not suit women.

I guess the Ceann Comhairle suggestion is to explicitly specify that there be a secret ballot for his/her election. They've changed Dáil procedures to do this recently. However, nothing stopping an incoming government from changing these back and electing this the old way.

On reducing the time needed for divorce, I wouldn't be inclined to reduce it by too much. Perhaps three out of the last four years, rather than four out of the last five years apart, as it is at present. IMO it shouldn't be too easy. There's a balance to be struck. A straightforward no-fault divorce mechanism (what we have), but within three rather than four years would IMO be reasonable. Would disagree with a one or two year delay (though I'm sure plenty here would disagree).

GDPR

These include:

• Blasphemy

The issues themselves & whether or not he's still around will of course have an effect, but the serious question would be in how many ways will he make a bollix of them if he is?

razorblade

My wish list would be for them all to stop pandering to the scum that are the Hallawa family and start to take the threat of islam seriously.

D

Deleted member 17573

The issues themselves & whether or not he's still around will of course have an effect, but the serious question would be in how many ways will he make a bollix of them if he is?
I have absolute confidence that his every utterance on these subjects will be guided by the latest opinion polls.

GDPR

What's this unified patent court thing ? I thought our patents were governed by EU standards at this stage ? Why would Dev et al want to address and restrict patents constitutionally in the 1920s ...unless they viewed technology as the work of the devil :D

Degeneration X

What's this unified patent court thing ? I thought our patents were governed by EU standards at this stage ? Why would Dev et al want to address and restrict patents constitutionally in the 1920s ...unless they viewed technology as the work of the devil :D
Apparently it is an EU thing meaning it will be another EU referendum for us on the Emerald Isle:

https://www.williamfry.com/newsandinsights/news-article/2017/06/15/further-delays-to-ratification-of-unified-patent-court-agreement

ruserious

I can't see any meaningful argument (perhaps to avoid sham marriages) to have a time limit on divorce. It should be (in genuine cases) be as easy to divorce as to get married in the first place.

Also, end Blasphemy now. For Christ's sake...

Degeneration X

I can't see any meaningful argument (perhaps to avoid sham marriages) to have a time limit on divorce. It should be (in genuine cases) be as easy to divorce as to get married in the first place.

Also, end Blasphemy now. For Christ's sake...

RadicalJacobin

These include:

• Blasphemy

Reducing the time for Divorce IMV would be a bad move. I'm not some sort of "no divorce ever" loon but I honestly think that marriage is a serious commitment and quick and easy divorce will only lead to more failed marriages. I don't want us to end up like the UK or US where every second person is on their fifth marriage!

Blasphemy should pass easily, its not particularly controversial

Citizens abroad for the presidency, no problem but for the Dáil absolutely no way. Why should someone who doesn't live here get to decide policy that doesn't impact them.

The role of women in the home is a relic of a bygone era but it has no practical impact on anyone, not sure it's worth a referendum at all.

Why would the Ceann Comhairle need to change, the secret ballot is fine enough, again not sure why it would have to be changed.

I think Leo is being ambitious to be honest. The 8th will be a particularly nasty and intense campaign, the country won't care about another if it's at the same time and afterwords I think it would be stupid to try and rush more. Of course this all is irrelevant because the Dáil could collapse tomorrow if FF wanted it to and we'd have an election.

storybud1

Referendums Leo should also consider,,

First up the Presidency should be reduced to 5 years and re-elected by the people and not by consensus , by the politicians for a second term ( I just really want to see the back of that gimp clown incumbent who would not have gotten in except for the scum media)

secondly, the Irish language should be a choice in secondary school, not mandatory

thirdly,our Judiciary should be held accountable to the innocent victims when stupid,dangerous bail and light sentencing is given to career crims and scumbags. There is a massive gap between the authority we give Judges and their accountability to us, ultimately, their bosses, it has to stop,,

GDPR

The government should get out of marriage altogether and allow people to draw up their own contracts and their own penalty for breaking it.

Too many hypocrites declaring ''until death do us part'' are also going on about instant no fault divorce. If people want to enter into unbreakable marriages and are mature adults of sound mind then let them do it. The hypocrites should be forced to face the reality of what it is they actually want. Let them have their marriages with term limits.

Mercurial

This ought to be enough to keep the Iona Institute in business for the next couple of years.

Congalltee

This ought to be enough to keep the Iona Institute in business for the next couple of years.
David Quinn is in favour of removing the reference to blasphemy (and I think he hates some hate speech replacement )

statsman

Where the issue with the Ceann Comhairle?
I assume non-controversial ones like women, patents and blasphemy can be held on day of presidential election.

A simple repeal of the 8th will be defeated, as will votes for non-taxpaying emigrants.
15.9.1: each house of the oireachtas shall elect from its members its own chairman and deputy
chairman, and shall prescribe their powers and duties.
I guess this is the reason.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies