Leonard Cohen has died

Ardillaun

Last edited:

Zapped(CAPITALISMROTS)

Twitter
daxxdrake
Cohen finally gave up the Ghost when Trump got elected. Cannot say I blame him.A Philosopher more then an Artist.The Ladies death man is a mordant presence the world will miss. R.I.P

[video=youtube;XiygaIWqiQE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiygaIWqiQE[/video] :cool:

Mad as Fish

Saw him in Lissadel....Something old-fashioned, wise and gentle in his irony and courtesy ...

Heard his melancholy chant from many a bedsit in my youth...

My favourite Cohen song, Alexandra Leaving --(from the CP Cavafy poem The God Abandons Antony)

[video=youtube;7PxfjBOhLoc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PxfjBOhLoc[/video]
It was the track that first got me into LC. He was a man to capture the moment and I couldn't count the times lines of his have expressed precisely moments in my life, and the lives of others close by. My favourite -

The gates of love they budged an inch
I can't say much has happened since.

That always makes me smile - Thanks Leonard, and if you do find that there is a god after all (you were never really sure) then let the rest of us know somehow.

Emily Davison

Can't believe this, on Wednesday I was at the hairdresser and was reading a long article in the ST about him and how he was going to live forever. I should have realised. My sister mentioned to me recently about one of the times she and my late mother had a positive experience together going to see him in Dublin, what a great time they had and how he did such a wonderful concert. I can rember her now as a teenager discovering him, how she used to love his lyrics and how she introduced him to the rest of us. At my mother's request we played one of his songs at her funeral.

Last edited:

HereWeGoAgain

"My father passed away peacefully at his home in Los Angeles with the knowledge that he had completed what he felt was one of his greatest records,
He was writing up until his last moments with his unique brand of humor"
Leonard Cohen's son Adam

"Unmatched in his creativity, insight and crippling candor, Leonard Cohen was a true visionary whose voice will be sorely missed," . "I was blessed to call him a friend, and for me to serve that bold artistic spirit firsthand, was a privilege and great gift. He leaves behind a legacy of work that will bring insight, inspiration and healing for generations to come."

I was blessed to call him a friend, and for me to serve that bold artistic spirit firsthand, was a privilege and great gift. He leaves behind a legacy of work that will bring insight, inspiration and healing for generations to come."
- Cohen's Manager, Robert Kory

I’ve always been into self-dramatization," Cohen said last month. "I intend to live forever.”

RIP
An incredible talent has left us today but his legacy will live forever.
Thank you for the music, lyrics, and the poetry LC

Link
Leonard Cohen Dead at 82 - Rolling Stone

Irish-Rationalist

Mad as Fish

I found his music boring and depressing. One of those supposedly cool and enigmatic artists you should be into, but he just never grabbed me. Still, sad to hear of his passing.
He was a lyricist first, by a long mile, and a musician second.

Emily Davison

Cohen finally gave up the Ghost when Trump got elected. Cannot say I blame him.A Philosopher more then an Artist.The Ladies death man is a mordant presence the world will miss. R.I.P

[video=youtube;XiygaIWqiQE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiygaIWqiQE[/video] :cool:
I hope he didn't know Trump was elected.

Cohen was indeed a ladies man. In this politically correct world of p.ie I'm sure that's not allowed! He loved women, and many loved him. When he heard one of his old lovers was dying, a muse too, he wrote her a wonderful letter that was read to her before she died. It was such a thoughtful gesture. So loving and kind.

HereWeGoAgain

From the Rolling Stone

Inside Leonard Cohen's Late-Career Triumph 'You Want It Darker'
After an epic tour, the singer fell into poor health. But he dug deep and came up with a powerful new album

Inside Leonard Cohen's Late-Career Triumph 'You Want It Darker' - Rolling Stone

He worked with his son Adam on his final album
"It's increasingly rare for children to be so useful to their parents," says Adam. "To be in such intimate circumstances for such a lengthy period of time with my father was filled with sweetness for me."
link
Inside Leonard Cohen's Late-Career Triumph 'You Want It Darker' - Rolling Stone

Emily Davison

I found his music boring and depressing. One of those supposedly cool and enigmatic artists you should be into, but he just never grabbed me. Still, sad to hear of his passing.
I don't think you'd ever have described him as cool. Personally I think his lyrics were streets ahead of Bob Dylan.

Morgellons

Every thinking person goes through a Leonard Cohen phase. At some time in their development his words and music speak to them in an obliquely beautiful way. Then, having taken the comfort and sustenance his work gives, they move on. His work may even become no longer bearable to them, but the echoes reamain. It's a bit like what he says the Sisters of Mercy do: They gave you their comfort and then they gave you there song.

Sad news, but I would say the man had no regrets.

Zapped(CAPITALISMROTS)

Twitter
daxxdrake

Cohen was indeed a ladies man. In this politically correct world of p.ie I'm sure that's not allowed! He loved women, and many loved him. When he heard one of his old lovers was dying, a muse too, he wrote her a wonderful letter that was read to her before she died. It was such a thoughtful gesture. So loving and kind.
The irony of course, is that Trump would consider himself a ladies Man too................:mad:

eoghanacht

Is he one of the Cohen's from Ballynanty?

Ah, sher jaysus I knew his grandmother well.

RIP.

ROLL ON 2017!

Sotired

Thanks so much for bringing a stupid, pointless, and tasteless political twist to this thread.

RasherHash

‘It said well Marianne it’s come to this time when we are really so old and our bodies are falling apart and I think I will follow you very soon. Know that I am so close behind you that if you stretch out your hand, I think you can reach mine.

‘And you know that I’ve always loved you for your beauty and your wisdom, but I don’t need to say anything more about that because you know all about that.

‘But now, I just want to wish you a very good journey. Goodbye old friend. Endless love, see you down the road.’

Leonard Cohen's letter to dying muse Marianne Ihlen is just beautiful | Metro News

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies