Leonard Cohen has died

The Field Marshal

I know that Im forgiven, but I dont know how...

Thats wisdom thats very hard-won.
One hears the mantra quite often "I know that Im forgiven, but I dont know how"

One even hear people say they know that God has forgiven them.

It is not possible to know anything in this field unless one has been given confirmation that forgiveness has in fact occurred.

In the ordinary course of life that would be by words/signs of forgiveness from the offended party.
In the supernatural area it would be by the words and signs of absolution given by a Roman catholic priest.

Anything else is supposition and speculation.

The Field Marshal

I've found TFM to be very supportive of people with a mental illness. He isn't clear (it's unconscious) about his thoughts. I'm just being a sounding board to him, to nudge him to go deeper and find what is troubling him about Cohen's lyrics. Cohen's lyrics also have a lot beneath the surface.

If the lyrics disturb TFM, I suggest that he buy Cohen's discography, and listen.
Thank you.
Cohen does not disturb me.
I have already said I think that I actually like some of Cohens songs.

My concern is the deep strain of melancholia that runs throughout what I perceive to be his work plus the intense public interest in that aforesaid melancholia.

Huge global interest in melancholia is a symptom of general unhappiness.
Their are artistes making loads of money profiting from this unhappiness.

Thats ok too I suppose but its a pity these artistes dont lighten up now and then.

Cohen from what I know NEVER LIGHTENED UP.

Socratus O' Pericles

Here's one of his lighter ditties:

[video=youtube;lnvv1Lgj9zM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnvv1Lgj9zM[/video]

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
F*ck sake the Field Marshall is demanding a silver lining now. Maybe he has re-written the Miserere with a punchline.

'And then Lazarus legged it with the wallet of the son of god'.

publicrealm

Thank you.

My concern is the deep strain of melancholia that runs throughout what I perceive to be his work plus the intense public interest in that aforesaid melancholia.

Thats ok too I suppose but its a pity these artistes dont lighten up now and then.

He was certainly introspective and a bit of a depressive. But in later years he became quite a wry and self deprecating old gent - watch any of his recent concerts (they are on youtube).

I think he finally found some peace and acceptance and seemed genuinely to enjoy and take pleasure in his concerts and the obvious love of the audience. I was lucky enough to see him live in Dublin and it was a warm and funny and brilliant concert at which he exceeded our wildest expectations.

I'm listening to -'famous blue raincoat' as I type this.

StarryPlough01

Thank you.

Like a lot of creative artists, Cohen was working through his issues in his writing.

Imho, he did his best stuff in the earlier years (e.g. Suzanne).

Later he composed Hallelujah, which a lot of people find uplifting.

I read there were about 80 verses to Hallelujah which he whittled down to 5, to get to the essence of what he was trying to convey.

Apparently, there are thousands more of his writings / poems that haven't been given his final stamp of approval.

There was a pervasive cynicism in some of his lyrics, e.g., Everybody Knows ...I don't find it that deep. But can understand it could be depressing to listen to.

https://play.google.com/music/preview/Tt66eqg2yp5sv4lh72yikjx422y?lyrics=1&utm_source=google&utm_medium=search&utm_campaign=lyrics&pcampaignid=kp-lyrics

There is a proud tradition of cynicism, nothing to be ashamed of.

Hitler was half Jewish, people dispute it, but Everybody Knows.

Cohen's My Man, AND he gave me Suzanne.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies