Leonard Cohen has died

'orebel

Ah, bollox.

O

Oscurito

[video=youtube;Lin-a2lTelg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lin-a2lTelg[/video]

Emily Davison

‘It said well Marianne it’s come to this time when we are really so old and our bodies are falling apart and I think I will follow you very soon. Know that I am so close behind you that if you stretch out your hand, I think you can reach mine.

‘And you know that I’ve always loved you for your beauty and your wisdom, but I don’t need to say anything more about that because you know all about that.

‘But now, I just want to wish you a very good journey. Goodbye old friend. Endless love, see you down the road.’

Leonard Cohen's letter to dying muse Marianne Ihlen is just beautiful | Metro News
I didn't have it to hand earlier to post, but when I was reading it I thought it was so beautiful.

And he was so right, her hand so close then and he was right behind her. He knew how close he was.

An incredible writer, but at first a reluctant performer:

Like a bird on the wire
Like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried, in my way,
To be free.
His music is an integral part of the soundtrack to my life - to many lives.

Franzoni

I don't think you'd ever have described him as cool. Personally I think his lyrics were streets ahead of Bob Dylan.
And Bob Dylan said, "Well, how long did it take to write 'Hallelujah'?" And Leonard Cohen said, "Three years." And then he asked Bob, "How long did it take you to write 'I and I'?" And Bob said, "Fifteen minutes."
[video=youtube;Tkk6phMBkOs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tkk6phMBkOs[/video]

RIP

RasherHash

I didn't have it to hand earlier to post, but when I was reading it I thought it was so beautiful.

And he was so right, her hand so close then and he was right behind her. He knew how close he was.
If he'd had another few days he might have fashioned it into a classic :)

Emily Davison

Thanks so much for bringing a stupid, pointless, and tasteless political twist to this thread.
It is your post that is stupid, pointless and tasteless. Cohen loved humour. He was a very humourous guy.

I heard a lovely piece earlier from Eddie Walsh of Lissadell. About what a gentleman Cohen was. About how Cohen himself checked the sound for three hours every day to make sure it was right for his audience. He wanted them to enjoy themselves and they did.

Cai

Oh dear - until today he was there but not exactly real & now he's real but not exactly there.

Emily Davison

I've been informed he passed away on Monday and is already buried.

loner

A gentleman --met him one evening in Toddys Bar in the Gresham and he chatted with us for 10 minutes---no airs or graces about him.
May he rest in peace

'orebel

An incredible writer, but at first a reluctant performer:

His music is an integral part of the soundtrack to my life - to many lives.
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

RasherHash

[video=youtube;Tkk6phMBkOs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tkk6phMBkOs[/video]

RIP
Meaning[edit]

Cohen explained himself in a backstage interview:[1] "I think it means exactly what it says. It is a terrorist song. I think it's a response to terrorism. There's something about terrorism that I've always admired. The fact that there are no alibis or no compromises. That position is always very attractive. I don't like it when it's manifested on the physical plane - I don't really enjoy the terrorist activities – but Psychic Terrorism. I remember there was a great poem by Irving Layton that I once read, I'll give you a paraphrase of it. It was 'well, you guys blow up an occasional airline and kill a few children here and there', he says. 'But our terrorists, Jesus, Freud, Marx, Einstein. The whole world is still quaking.'"

rainmaker

Administrator
Cr*p news. I'm genuinely beginning to fear that we're going to run out of intelligent, thoughtful artists at this rate.

RIP - one of the most interesting & finest wordsmiths the 20th century ever produced.

''And Jesus was a sailor, When he walked upon the water
And he spent a long time watching, From his lonely wooden tower
And when he knew for certain, Only drowning men could see him
He said "All men will be sailors then, Until the sea shall free them"

Irish-Rationalist

He was a lyricist first, by a long mile, and a musician second.
And therein lay the problem. If he had stuck to poetry and lyricism and found someone else to put music to and sing his material, he would have been a great song writer. Singing his own poetry/lyrics in that dull, depressing, monotonous voice must have surely not only sent people to sleep, but had many reaching for the kitchen knife/bottle of pills.

Irish-Rationalist

I don't think you'd ever have described him as cool. Personally I think his lyrics were streets ahead of Bob Dylan.
Bob Dylan was another artist who divided opinion, and whose poetry, like that of Cohen's, could have perhaps benefitted with a different vocal conveyer. Cohen, Dylan, the Beatles ...if you dare criticise any of these so-called cultural icons you're deemed by elitist arty types as a philistine. Well, either something grabs you or it doesn't. And whilst Cohen may have appealed to many, I'd prefer to listen to Never Mind the Bollocks Here's The Sex Pistols, or the Clash's debut album. That was vital, rebellious, gripping, anti-establishment music which awoke something with an entire generation. What dreary Cohen did was send people to sleep.

Minority

So sad to wake up to this news. What a legacy and his final album is probably his greatest. First saw him live during the 'I'm your Man' tour at the National Stadium on June 4th 1988 - had to wait twenty years before he returned in June 2008 at RH Dublin . What a glorious evening it was to be in the same field as LC. I've been to many great concerts but this was different - it was a spiritual thing. As an aside Ireland had just voted no to Lisbon 1 and the great man even acknowledged our bravery in doing our own thing.
RIP Leonard and thank you.

And therein lay the problem. If he had stuck to poetry and lyricism and found someone else to put music to and sing his material, he would have been a great song writer. Singing his own poetry/lyrics in that dull, depressing, monotonous voice must have surely not only sent people to sleep, but had many reaching for the kitchen knife/bottle of pills.
If you wish to hear others perform his music you'll find that a huge amount of his work has been covered by others and that there is an album consisting of such performances. Jennifer Warnes also released an album of his songs.

Personally, I preferred his own renditions of most of his songs and find many of them uplifting. They're ideal for that late-night introspective hour when they create an ambience of rest and ease.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies