Lessons of history on police strikes

patslatt

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Police_Strike

Boston, Massachussetts sacked the striking city police and replaced them with WW1 veterans who were numerous at the time. The militia was called in to maintain order. Governor of the state Calvin Coolige became famous for his hardline stand against the strike which no doubt helped him become US President.

While Ireland hasn't many veterans, it does have a high rate of unemployed youth and many educated youth in low paid jobs who would jump at the chance of a job in the gardai. However, given the extremely valuable pension rights of gardai, worth more than a million euros average in today's money, few gardai are likely to defy orders to return to work except very briefly and will be content with having fired a shot across the government's bow.

Last edited:

Prester Jim

FFS... Zoo... :roll:
Don't mention the zoo to me. A bunch of overpaid bunny-huggers if you ask me. €96k a year and a titanium-plated pension and for what? Shovelling giraffe sh1t? Give me a break. *And* the people/slackers who do these jobs love animals anyway. Let them do it for free!

I'm betting that not all that meat makes it into the lion enclosure nor all those veggies into the rhino pen.

Mushroom

Gin Soaked

Or we could give power of arrest to security guards and up their pay to garda levels... Residents committees could hire their own cops.

They'd still be better trained than your average american cop.

Can't possibly see how that could backfire.

The OPer seems convinced that anybody can do any public sector job with little or no training. What next? butchers sent in to cover in the event of a strike by surgeons? We can always use the unemployed in that event to man the abbatoirs which were thus emptied.

Simples!

SeanieFitz

Boston, Massachussetts sacked the striking city police and replaced them with WW1 veterans who were numerous at the time. The militia was called in to maintain order. Governor of the state Calvin Coolige became famous for his hardline stand against the strike which no doubt helped him become US President.

While Ireland hasn't many veterans, it does have a high rate of unemployed youth and many educated youth in low paid jobs who would jump at the chance of a job in the gardai. However, given the extremely valuable pension rights of gardai, worth more than a million euros average in today's money, few gardai are likely to defy orders to return to work except very briefly and will be content with having fired a shot across the government's bow.
can't imagine there are many WW1 veterans available at the moment and could we fly them over on such short notice?

yet another example of brave Garda reaction

"Hero" gardaí rescue child from sixth floor apartment as witness Senator calls for their pay to be hiked

The_SR

Pat, what do you do for a living? Can we train seals or do we have to source a monkey

Prester Jim

He is a Motivator, DVD's and what not.
He sounds like his job is Liam Neeson's in Taken if the website is any indication:

"What I do really and truly, I am the how to guy I am the guy who will show you how to overcome obstacles."
:shock:

patslatt

The OPer seems convinced that anybody can do any public sector job with little or no training. What next? butchers sent in to cover in the event of a strike by surgeons? We can always use the unemployed in that event to man the abbatoirs which were thus emptied.

Simples!
MAFIA STYLE PROTECTION RACKET
So cave in and hand over the treasury to a police force protection racket exploiting state security?

MAFIA STYLE PROTECTION RACKET
So cave in and hand over the treasury to a police force protection racket exploiting state security?
You really have it bad.

patslatt

Pat, what do you do for a living? Can we train seals or do we have to source a monkey
I organise vast right wing conspiracies against vastly overpaid and overpensioned top half public sector employees.

GDPR

You really have it bad.
This is gravely uncharitable but I picture patslatt posting on his phone in a grotty bedsit deeply convincing himself over Buckfast that if only we had proper capitalism than he would be a millionaire and not stuck on the bru.

firefly123

Never go full retard pat

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies