• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Let the punishment fit the crime

GDPR

An Amish man, Samuel Mullet, has been sentenced to 15 years in jail for directing a campaign of hair-cutting amongst the Amish people he considered to be wrong in their religious beliefs. His followers, who actually committed the crimes, received lesser sentences of one to seven years.

The judge considered Mullet and his followers had committed hate crimes, terrorising and traumatising their victims because of a religious dispute. The BBC report says: "Amish people believe the Bible instructs women not to cut their hair, and men to grow beards once they marry."

I think the Ohio judge was very sympathetic to the Amish people and their beliefs. If there were Amish in Ireland, would they have received as much sympathy and understanding?
BBC News - Samuel Mullet and Amish beard-cutters jailed in Ohio

Here is Samuel Mullet, aged 67:

Ribeye

Mullet:)

Hate crimes are a stupid and evil construct,

The attackers should have got what they deserved at the time of the attacks,

ie, a bullet or two in the face,

Sync

I don't see how he's being sympathetic with anyone. The convict orchestrated a number of assaults against people based on their religion and that assault was deliberately formed to cause religious humiliation on the victims. It's a hate crime by US law, as clear a case as you'll see. Screw him.

petaljam

Mullet:)

Hate crimes are a stupid and evil construct,

The attackers should have got what they deserved at the time of the attacks,

ie, a bullet or two in the face,
Err, aren't the Amish pacificists?

What would you suggest in that case - that they put aside their belief about not killing in order to protect another about suitable dress/appearance?

Sense of perspective, anyone?

Druidess

He sounds like a dangerous man, capable of manipulating others to do things.

On the face of it, hair cutting sounds trivial but it seems that he was into other dubious practices.

Grey Area

Go and cut a Nuns' hair and see how you get on.

All religions are stone age stuff that hang around like bad breath!

Levellers

Religious nutters everywhere. We have plenty here to be worrying about.

Ribeye

Err, aren't the Amish pacificists?

What would you suggest in that case - that they put aside their belief about not killing in order to protect another about suitable dress/appearance?

Sense of perspective, anyone?
I dunno what the Amish belief system is,

I was projecting my own belief system,

Nobody has the right to put their paws on anyone unless they have permission or it's in self defence,

I don't even like getting my hair cut when I decide to do it voluntarily, let alone having it forced on me,

Radix

An Amish man, Samuel Mullet, has been sentenced to 15 years in jail for directing a campaign of hair-cutting amongst the Amish people he considered to be wrong in their religious beliefs. His followers, who actually committed the crimes, received lesser sentences of one to seven years.

The judge considered Mullet and his followers had committed hate crimes, terrorising and traumatising their victims because of a religious dispute. The BBC report says: "Amish people believe the Bible instructs women not to cut their hair, and men to grow beards once they marry."

I think the Ohio judge was very sympathetic to the Amish people and their beliefs. If there were Amish in Ireland, would they have received as much sympathy and understanding?
BBC News - Samuel Mullet and Amish beard-cutters jailed in Ohio

Here is Samuel Mullet, aged 67:

Grace thank you for that, you've set me up for the day in the laughing department if this is true.

'Man called 'mullet' sentenced to prison for hair cutting campaign'.

Jaysus, terrorism by scissors, there's a new one.

And in a country which thinks its ok to kill their babies.

Mad Ted... mad.

EmmettTCorcoran

I'm sure there is a first amendment right issue in here somewhere? It's not very clear- Did they cut their own hair, or that of other people? It would have to be the later for it to be in anyway criminal surely?

petaljam

I'm sure there is a first amendment right issue in here somewhere? It's not very clear- Did they cut their own hair, or that of other people? It would have to be the later for it to be in anyway criminal surely?
They broke into other people's houses and attacked them in their sleep I believe. Even without the symbolic value of the beards to their wearers, that, to me, is a serious attack on someone.

Interesting to see that some posters here have apparently dismissed that as a minor misdemeanor, if that.

freewillie

They broke into other people's houses and attacked them in their sleep I believe. Even without the symbolic value of the beards to their wearers, that, to me, is a serious attack on someone.

Interesting to see that some posters here have apparently dismissed that as a minor misdemeanor, if that.
Surely this would be an ecumenical matter?