• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

"Let them eat cake" - the FG attitude to the property tax

Northtipp

Below is an article from today's break news website and a line from the article.

Kenny: Revenue made it clear property valuations only an indicator | BreakingNews.ie

The Taoiseach says the Revenue Commissioners have made it clear that their property valuations are merely an indication.

It would appear that FG have adopted some type of " let them eat cake attitude" to the property tax. Last week we had the comments of Leo Varadkar to the effect that people should just pay and be done. It was almost as if he had lost most of or all of the understanding of the very genuine hardship that most in the country are experiencing in their attempts to make ends meet and the difficulty they would experience in trying to get the money together for Fgs tax. . The last thing they appeared to need was the dismissive attitude of Varadkar to rub salt in to their wounds.

It's seems given Kennys comments that it wasn't a one off. He was questioned on the latest property tax shambles which was the release of the info on valuations on the revenue web site. Again rather than take a sympathetic and understanding view the choose to rub yet further salt in the wounds he was dismissive to a large extent. Almost devoid of any natural human feelings towards those a lot less wealthy than he and his colleagues.

One almost gets the impression that now that this hardship tax is in law that it's got nothing to do with them. It's the revenue don't you know almost seems to be the attitude. But surely with FG driving these hardship taxes and implementing on behalf of the troika they have a sponsibility toward the Irish people. Surely they have a responsibility to ensure that any govt or state body involved in the implementation of this tax has a duty to deliver information accurately and fairly. Surely it's not fair of FG to wash their hands and pretend its some one else's problem let alone the very people they are forcing the hardship tax upon. Surely it isn't too much for the to ensure that people know how much they are being asked to pay and that all information surrounding the taxes are delivered in a user friendly manner. Surely as much burden as possible should be removed from the people, particularly the vulnerable. It's the very least one would expect when hardship is being forced upon the people of the state.

So come on FG and Kenny, take a bit of responsibility, help the people to some degree even if it just telling them in the correct manner the degree to which you intend screwing them to the wall.

Ribeye

I simply cannot accept that this is true,

The idea that James Reilly would support a policy that permitted other people to eat the cake is totally propostrous,

SPN

It is worth noting that this is a Labour tax, not a Fine Gael tax.

However the only people who can stop it are Fine Gael.

I've been saying for months now that the best thing people can do is to call or visit their local FG Councillor, TD and/or Senator and make it perfectly clear to them that you will never vote for them again if this stupid, unfair and immoral tax is not repealed.

Fine Gael specifically promised not to implement it in their 2011 Election Manifesto, so they have nowhere to hide if people start giving them stick on this issue.

If enough people adopt this approach the property tax will be scrapped.

hammer

I cant believe that FG didn`t go to the magic money tree first before introducing this property tax.

harshreality

But think of all the excellent services that the property tax will fund on a local level!

Aindriu

Varadkar is a total gob************************e. He always has something to say on departments that are not under his remit. Hopefully, his constituents will pay him back at election time.

Northtipp

I cant believe that FG didn`t go to the magic money tree first before introducing this property tax.
Why did that effect their ability to accept responsibity and get communications correct. Read the OP first.

Rural

My old 83 year old Father is terrified of this tax, yes he has his home and he paid for it during high interest rates and high income tax. He is a pensioner, he cannot afford this tax

CarnivalOfAction

Another typical FG arrogant sneer. They have learned well from the FFailures.

I've heard several FG supporters saying "the property tax is easy to pay"; everyone of them is trousering over €100,000pa.

Ribeye

Or they could just stop the foreign aid, or close a few quangos, or stop giving out soft contracts, or cut (properly) the PS pay bill, or call the ECB's bluff,

The Prop tax will only raise €500m in the full year,

Don't we give €750 p.a. to African crooks?

"hellllooooo sar"

Bea C

All I can say is that ROS site is on its knees.
I've been trying to do a VAT return today, I can't even log-in.
And ringing that helpline at the moment, I'd regard my chances of getting through to the Oval Office as better. :)

daveL

I love the arrogant attitude currently being exuded by the Revenue... typical of the establishment here

"We can get it wrong"

"But you better not get it wrong; because we won't forgive you our mistakes"

cretins

hammer

Another typical FG arrogant sneer. They have learned well from the FFailures.

I've heard several FG supporters saying "the property tax is easy to pay"; everyone of them is trousering over €100,000pa.
Several...........well done you.

It will be a struggle for 90% of the entire population.

Its slightly better than further taxes on those who actually go to work.

CarnivalOfAction

This one? Worth €66 billion, 1% of which would raise €110 million more than FG's "wealth tax" on the poor.

Ireland

"Ireland’s 300 wealthiest people are rolling in it. This Sunday, Ireland’s biggest Rich List returns in the Sunday Independent.

Austerity may be hitting Joe public but the super rich are getting wealthier and wealthier"

hammer

How many of those 300 are resident in Ireland.

Take out the wealth of those not resident and come back to me.

SPN

The Prop tax will only raise €500m in the full FIRST year,
Fixed that for you!

The deficit is equivalent to about €10,000 per household.

Think about that for a minute!

zakalwe1

to be honest i lost interest in your ramblings after the second sentence.

firstly a few facts:
1. the website is not gospel, it has its uses as an indicator of the taxation level. obviously there are discrepencies in that bono's mansion will be treated the same in the website as a modest property around the corner. it doesn't change the fact that the self-assessment of the current market value is what the tax is based on, not a website with generic valuations.

2. this tax is distasteful, all taxes are in my mind, but it is currently necessary to widen the tax base to ensure sustainable public finances are a feature of future irish economics. it is progressive in that the rate increases massively for houses over €1M.

3. a sympathetic and understanding view, to my mind, would be hypocritical...kinda like FF blaming every unpopular but necessary measure on dem troika folks. we have to suck this one up.

now for some opinion on my behalf,
1. i think that the other emergency tax measures will be loosened in the next few years, somewhat easing the burden on us all.
2. i have heard from a friend in the revenue that while the website isn't great, the letters will be accurate to a street level rather than town/area.

harshreality

All I can say is that ROS site is on its knees.
I've been trying to do a VAT return today, I can't even log-in.
And ringing that helpline at the moment, I'd regard my chances of getting through to the Oval Office as better. :)
Probably the first time knees and Oval Office have been mentioned in the same sentence without Bill Clinton being mentioned!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies