• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

"Let them hurry up and die" - Japanese Finance Minister, in relation to the elderly

ShoutingIsLeadership

Let elderly people 'hurry up and die', says Japanese minister | World news | guardian.co.uk

Taro Aso, the finance minister, said on Monday that the elderly should be allowed to "hurry up and die" to relieve pressure on the state to pay for their medical care.

"Heaven forbid if you are forced to live on when you want to die. I would wake up feeling increasingly bad knowing that [treatment] was all being paid for by the government," he said during a meeting of the national council on social security reforms. "The problem won't be solved unless you let them hurry up and die."
And just to make sure everyone got the point:

To compound the insult, he referred to elderly patients who are no longer able to feed themselves as "tube people". The health and welfare ministry, he added, was "well aware that it costs several tens of millions of yen" a month to treat a single patient in the final stages of life.
Would our Minister for Finance countenance such treatment of the elderly?

The Field Marshal

Are you sure you have the right country. ? Ireland's finance minister Michael Noonan,s conduct in relation to the Bridget McCole case comes to mind.

The Field Marshal

willow68

Sure, we're almost there in Europe. I don't understand the pernicious neo-liberal ideology which seems to infest every corner of the world these days. Old people were once treasured for their life experience and - dare I say it - wisdom. Today's youth obsessed culture is misguided and unhelpful at least. 18 year old members of boy bands now pass for men. Ridiculous. What's next, mandatory lethal injection at 60? This world is going the wrong way, and woe betide you if you happen to have the slightest irregularity or infirmity. I believe once upon a time one Mr Hitler tried to create the master race. Nowadays government policies on health and welfare come pretty close to doing the same thing. Euthanasia - see what goes on in Holland, scary stuff - is the next step. Beware the beginnings, us little people are all surplus to requirement.

seabhcan

Let elderly people 'hurry up and die', says Japanese minister | World news | guardian.co.uk

And just to make sure everyone got the point:

Would our Minister for Finance countenance such treatment of the elderly?
My Granny 'lived' for 10 years like that. It wasn't really life, but then it is illegal in Ireland to help someone 'hurry up and die'. Her husband refused to suffer like that so he stayed home and refused to go to hospital and become a vegatible.

The Field Marshal

My Granny 'lived' for 10 years like that. It wasn't really life, but then it is illegal in Ireland to help someone 'hurry up and die'. Her husband refused to suffer like that so he stayed home and refused to go to hospital and become a vegatible.
Looks to me like you yourself would like to help certain people hurry up and die. Your clear frustration at a legal system that affords protection to people in that regard is a consequence of the inhuman political ideology you support.

seabhcan

Looks to me like you yourself would like to help certain people hurry up and die. Your clear frustration at a legal system that affords protection to people in that regard is a consequence of the inhuman political ideology you support.
I think it is inhuman to force a body to stay alive when their 'spirit' has clearly departed.

Franker65

Seems just like a frustrated outburst given the lack of growth in the Japanese economy. Japan has a responsibility to take care of its citizens whether Taro Aso likes it or not.

ManOfReason

What do you expect when you surrender your rights to the state. This is what we have in Irish hospitals where patients are not part of the revenue steam but a drain on revenue. Is it any wonder they are treated like they are some kind of pesky nuisance.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Is keeping people alive via tube or other means, going against your God's will?

slippy wicket

Analyzer

Sounds like the McCole saga all over again.....

G

Gimpanzee

Sure, we're almost there in Europe. I don't understand the pernicious neo-liberal ideology which seems to infest every corner of the world these days. Old people were once treasured for their life experience and - dare I say it - wisdom. Today's youth obsessed culture is misguided and unhelpful at least. 18 year old members of boy bands now pass for men. Ridiculous. What's next, mandatory lethal injection at 60? This world is going the wrong way, and woe betide you if you happen to have the slightest irregularity or infirmity. I believe once upon a time one Mr Hitler tried to create the master race. Nowadays government policies on health and welfare come pretty close to doing the same thing. Euthanasia - see what goes on in Holland, scary stuff - is the next step. Beware the beginnings, us little people are all surplus to requirement.
deep breaths, nutter man, deep breaths....

The Field Marshal

Is keeping people alive via tube or other means, going against your God's will?
There are current ethical and legal guidelines in Irish hospitals concerning end of life conditions [which I broadly support] which have been worked out and suggest you read up on them. Afaik also the catholic church has a well worked out position on such matters also and I recommend you research that as well. When you have all that done you should be reasonably well informed on the matter.

sauntersplash

Perhaps you'll tell me what assistance blind people got from the state seventy years ago in Ireland? Old people were treasured because less than 10% of them made it past sixty and the culture of a society changed every hundred years or so. Presumably, that 10% learned a thing or two about the relatively static world along their way and/or had to have a good head on their shoulders to get that far. This isn't exactly the case today. As far as I can see, most people make large efforts to remove themselves from mainstream society as they get into their sixties and remain that way for the next thirty years. What "wisdom" do they have to offer in a world that changes as quickly as ours?

Your's really is the dumbest post I've seen for quite a while.

Didimus

Afaik also the catholic church has a well worked out position on such matters also and I recommend you research that as well. When you have all that done you should be reasonably well informed on the matter.
Mr Aso as a Roman Catholic should be informed immediately.

G

Gimpanzee

Fair play to him.

If you have someone that can be kept alive for a year, but spend that year incapacited by the treatment, or only live for 6 months but live relatively freely until the end, our current default position is to keep the body alive at all costs, regardless of the net benefit to the individual.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies