L'Etat, c'est moi.

bactrian

I have thought for a long time that Donald Trump's opinion of himself was that of "Emperor of America" . He seems to think that his power is unlimited and untrammelled by any interest other than his own.

He has now declared his absolute power
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

" all agree the U. S. President has the complete power to pardon, ".

Many of his close advisors are being questioned about alleged improper contacts with Russia. Nothing has been proven , there is no convincing evidence yet in the public arena ,yet , Trump is already planning pardons.

He seems to know that illegal acts were committed and seems to think that since they were for his benefit "Thats OK"

Beachcomber

I have thought for a long time that Donald Trump's opinion of himself was that of "Emperor of America" . He seems to think that his power is unlimited and untrammelled by any interest other than his own.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Many of his close advisors are being questioned about alleged improper contacts with Russia. Nothing has been proven , there is no convincing evidence yet in the public arena ,yet , Trump is already planning pardons.

He seems to know that illegal acts were committed and seems to think that since they were for his benefit "Thats OK"

Exactly.

He's got the bunker mentality already.

Trainwreck

Just a rapid dissection.

"He seems to know illegal acts were committed" is 100% fantasy existing in your head. As in "you seem to be struggling with latent paedophilia tendencies", Just something I made up an attributed to you.

If any world leader today is worthy of your thread title it is Macron, not Trump. He really does see himself as the Sun King.

Jim Car

Most heads of state have the power to pardon. Question is can he pardon himself. Probably not as you have to be charged in order to be pardoned and the president like most heads of state can't be sued or charged with a crime they have immunity until they are impeached of course.

Levellers

Of course the Trump crowd were doing something illegal. Why would they deny any meetings took place before they were outed?

Beachcomber

Just a rapid dissection.

"He seems to know illegal acts were committed" is 100% fantasy existing in your head. As in "you seem to be struggling with latent paedophilia tendencies", Just something I made up an attributed to you.

If any world leader today is worthy of your thread title it is Macron, not Trump. He really does see himself as the Sun King.

For what you say to be true bacterian would have to preparing a defence against charges of paedophilia.

Is he doing that?

Trump is preparing to use pardons. Why would he be doing that unless he knew he was going to need to be able to use that power?

Bill

Most heads of state have the power to pardon. Question is can he pardon himself. Probably not as you have to be charged in order to be pardoned and the president like most heads of state can't be sued or charged with a crime they have immunity until they are impeached of course.
a pardon can be issued at any time, there is no requirement for charges to be pending

Trainwreck

For what you say to be true bacterian would have to preparing a defence against charges of paedophilia.

Is he doing that?

Trump is preparing to use pardons. Why would he be doing that unless he knew he was going to need to be able to use that power?
Yet again, you are reading minds.

You have no fúcking clue what Trump "is about to do". I am pretty sure, because I don't think he knows himself most of the time.

Trainwreck

Of course the Trump crowd were doing something illegal. Why would they deny any meetings took place before they were outed?

"Of course they were".

Add it to "He seems to be guilty of something"

and "we know he is guilty of something.

And yet still not a scrap of evidence of any such thing...

Beachcomber

"Of course they were".

There is lots of evidence.

You just ignore it.

Beachcomber

Yet again, you are reading minds.

You have no fúcking clue what Trump "is about to do". I am pretty sure, because I don't think he knows himself most of the time.
No mind reading is necessary.

Trump's actions speak for themselves.

Finbar10

Pardoning himself seems to be a legally gray area. However, it seems the impeachment process is specifically excluded. So that's always an option if the Republicans actually ever wanted to go through with it.

"Of course they were".

There are very serious investigations taking place. Evidence of not much more than a high level of suspicion, but serious stuff still. I can't see anything that will stick to him yet, but the bombs are dropping close.

jmcc

There are very serious investigations taking place. Evidence of not much more than a high level of suspicion, but serious stuff still. I can't see anything that will stick to him yet, but the bombs are dropping close.
And in May, Eagle of the Ninth said that Trump would be gone in six weeks. This may end up being one of the most investigated presidencies of recent years.

Beachcomber

It's not so much that the bombs are dropping close.

It's more a case of Trump, his family members and friends keep stepping on the mines that they themselves planted.

And in May, Eagle of the Ninth said that Trump would be gone in six weeks. This may end up being one of the most investigated presidencies of recent years.
It's not up to me to defend the predictions of others. My position has always been that any possibility of impeachment would take a long time. That process is grossly unfair to a president if he or she is utterly innocent of all charges. Trump needs to row back on the hurt, though. His comments on AGs and his behaviour towards them is really making things worse. He needs to back off. A protest of innocence and complete confidence in his time would calm the issue somewhat.

It's easy, I know, to say at this remove that he should keep a lid on his frustration, but he needs badly to do that.

Let the investigation proceed. An emmolient and occasional prodding tweet pointing out a lack of findings would let off steam.

He's raking the coals with his demeanour.

It's bad enough that his campaign is under such serious investigation, but to sail so close to interfering in it looks very bad indeed.He needs to be careful. There is a risk that the campaign be found to be clean and that his reaction to the investigation of it itself compromise him.

For Trump's sake (and I'm no fan) the investigations need to move on quickly and reach some findings ASAP.

Ardillaun

The Dems need to slow the process down, drag it out as long as possible so he sinks as many of his party as possible as well. Reasonable voters will abandon him at some point.

The Dems need to slow the process down, drag it out as long as possible so he sinks as many of his party as possible as well. Reasonable voters will abandon him at some point.
I'd give Trump a break on this to the extent that there should be no impediment to the investigation. Prolonging it amounts to cruel and unusual punishment, and the possibility always exists that his campaign and he are totally innocent of wrongdoing. He deserves the same consideration as any suspect of a crime; innocence until proven guilty. If the investigations turn into a fishing expedition at some stage then they *should* cease.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies