Lethal balconies in Dublin apartment complex, will the developers be held to account ?

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Developers should be held to account for building death traps - fire code violations are rife, now this:

Residents at Dublin estate warned over unsafe balconies
It informed residents "as a matter of urgency" that it had been brought to their attention by an engineering company which assessed the buildings that the balconies were unsafe to use until further notice.

The balconies in question are made of timber, and in some cases are showing outward signs of deterioration.
Building wholly unsafe residences is not legal, how come we see no enforcement action ?

Cyp

devoutcapitalist

When where those apartments built, I'm not surprised given a lot of the muck that was built in the Celtic Tiger.

PBP voter

Most of the RC balconies in Dublin aren't properly waterproofed.

These were timber. It was never going to work.

mr. jings

They look like pallets tacked on to the walls. The mind boggles at the ineptness and rages at the cavalier cowboyness of it all.

PBP voter

No, they will have gone bankrupt by now.
The builder/developer may have followed the drawings and spec.

The materials specified may have not stood up to the conditions.

recedite

I am very surprised to see (biodegradable) timber joists being used to support an apartment balcony in Ireland.
I thought it only happened in Berkley California.
Definitely not "fit for purpose" in our climate.
Lucky it was discovered before anyone got killed, but its still criminal negligence IMO.

milipod

They look like pallets tacked on to the walls. The mind boggles at the ineptness and rages at the cavalier cowboyness of it all.
I thought that myself I have seen better-built treehouses.

Dame_Enda

There should be a redress scheme for owners and renters of properties whose constuction was already safety-deficient when they moved in. I was disappointed to hear Minister Eoghan Murphy oppose a redress scheme in the Dail in the Prime Time report this week about properties with safety issues and who were being sent massive bills (in one case €10,000) by landlords to pay to fix. Im not sure whether this is the same issue as the on Prime Time or not but my point otherwise stands.

The govt should learn the lessons of Grenfell, one of which is that prevention is better than cure.

mr. jings

It's shocking really putting peoples lives at risk.
And no redress for the owners either. A good surveyor is really one of your only true defences against the tidal wave of horse5hit you have to deal with on buying a house.

Half Nelson

It's shocking really putting peoples lives at risk.
There are thousands of homes throughout the north west in a state of near collapse due to pyrite and mica and nobody in authority will give a damn until a family is crushed in their beds.

loner

This is Ireland--great place to do business in--you buy apartments that are unfit for purpose--you get a loan that you must payback at high rates of interest--when the problems are discovered you can take a hike or pay huge sums to have the defects remedied--no one is responsible--neither the builders or the well paid local authority employees --as I say Wonderful country in which to do business

Marbellabound

Those balconies on the news were shocking! That said I see balconies made of decking laid on steel girders regularly. The steel will probably be fine but decking boards rot and when they do they can go quite quickly once the rot sets in. I personally don't understand why the residents don't get the danger.

recedite

There are thousands of homes throughout the north west in a state of near collapse due to pyrite and mica and nobody in authority will give a damn until a family is crushed in their beds.
All of those houses were fully certified as being built to the highest standards and complying with all the Building Regs, by the builders who built them.

And all were fully guaranteed against any defects by the national Homebond insurance scheme, until the claims went in.

Karloff

Good Lord you wouldn't see that in India.

Cowboy capitalism at it's finest.

recedite

Those balconies on the news were shocking! That said I see balconies made of decking laid on steel girders regularly. The steel will probably be fine but decking boards rot and when they do they can go quite quickly once the rot sets in. I personally don't understand why the residents don't get the danger.
Putting your foot through a rotten plank is not going to kill you.
But a balcony sitting on rotten timber joists will wait there like a trap, until a bunch of people walks out on it all at the same time, and then the whole thing will collapse suddenly.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies