Lets deport the poor

gleeful

Yes, that is a deliberately attention grabbing headline, but stick with me. In the UK, London councils are going to start 'moving' poor families out of the city because property prices in the capital are too high.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jan/15/homeless-families-coventry-westminster-council-london-cuts

Here in Ireland there have been some quite successful pilot schemes to (voluntarily) rehouse homeless Dubliners in rural areas as both a cost saving measure, and as a way to offer families more space than could ever be affordable by the council in the city.

Dublin homeless may be housed in rural areas

But perhaps there is a slightly more radical solution if we look a little further afield. I'm just back from the Portuguese island of Madeira. Beautiful place - with a great mix of perfect weather and great (EU funded) infrastructure. They've also had a housing bubble that makes ours seem minor. The banks basically own around 20% of all property on the island and are very keen to shift it.

I went property hunting while I was over there. You can get a massive 4 bed in the main city for 80k. There are 1000s of similar properties for sale. The cost of living is around half or less of Ireland.

Do the maths, and the cost of housing a family for a year works out at under 3k, vs 15k minimum in Dublin. There are over 1000 homeless families in Dublin tonight who are housed in hotels at the tax payer's expense. For a fraction of that cost, Dublin City Council could buy a couple of apartment buildings in paradise and fly them over. Voluntary, of course.

This would be a very quick way to reduce the homeless crisis and save money to boot.

mr_anderson

Nothing so elaborate required.
Deport all non-EU citizens in social housing.
That would immediately create enough space to cure the homeless situation.

Northsideman

Nothing so elaborate required.
Deport all non-EU citizens in social housing.
That would immediately create enough space to cure the homeless situation.
Are you including the British in that?

Analyzer

Lets deport the quangocrats, Montrose Millionaires, Tax Non Dom Billionaires and other rich plutocrats trying to screw the working people. Every last little Bonox. AIB directors and Anglo Banglo directors. Plus the other dithering drunk from Drumcondra & Offaly.

Northsideman

Could we insist Bono stays in his tax haven.

londonpride

Ireland has for a long time been deporting its poor. Especially in the 40s 50s and sixties. All their descendents are now speaking with Cockney accents and are more English than the English themselves.

D

Deleted member 42179

Yes, that is a deliberately attention grabbing headline, but stick with me. In the UK, London councils are going to start 'moving' poor families out of the city because property prices in the capital are too high.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jan/15/homeless-families-coventry-westminster-council-london-cuts

Here in Ireland there have been some quite successful pilot schemes to (voluntarily) rehouse homeless Dubliners in rural areas as both a cost saving measure, and as a way to offer families more space than could ever be affordable by the council in the city.

But perhaps there is a slightly more radical solution if we look a little further afield. I'm just back from the Portuguese island of Madeira. Beautiful place - with a great mix of perfect weather and great (EU funded) infrastructure. They've also had a housing bubble that makes ours seem minor. The banks basically own around 20% of all property on the island and are very keen to shift it.

I went property hunting while I was over there. You can get a massive 4 bed in the main city for 80k. There are 1000s of similar properties for sale. The cost of living is around half or less of Ireland.

Do the maths, and the cost of housing a family for a year works out at under 3k, vs 15k minimum in Dublin. There are over 1000 homeless families in Dublin tonight who are housed in hotels at the tax payer's expense. For a fraction of that cost, Dublin City Council could buy a couple of apartment buildings in paradise and fly them over. Voluntary, of course.

This would be a very quick way to reduce the homeless crisis and save money to boot.
That's far too rational and innovative thinking for the ideological dullards forming social policy! :p

Spite is everything with these people.

"Punish the poor, though it costs you more" should be their motto.

Mad as Fish

Lets deport the quangocrats, Montrose Millionaires, Tax Non Dom Billionaires and other rich plutocrats trying to screw the working people. Every last little Bonox. AIB directors and Anglo Banglo directors. Plus the other dithering drunk from Drumcondra & Offaly.
Spot on!

Mad as Fish

It's funny but not so long ago the wingnuts were telling us that the poor should get off their arses and move to Dublin to improve their lot. Perhaps the idea of shanty towns along the side of the motorways has made them think again.

GDPR

Madeira, how very middle-aged of you :)

You may be unaware that Madeira is run by a Fianna-Fail-style Mafia that would make your lads look like hobos.

The Herren

Deporting the homeless to Madeira is a great idea
No doubt the EU would part fund the building of a temple to Apollo within whose walls Apollo would be incarnated in the form of Brendan Ogle.Madeira thereafter would be know as The Island of Milk and no Money. eternal bliss.

Hunter-Gatherer

a lot of immigrants into ireland are choosing places like Longford, roscommon etc where their dole money will go much further.

my advice to politicians : people who live in a cheap town, should get less dole.

Longford has already been destroyed.

Mitsui2

It's funny but not so long ago the wingnuts were telling us that the poor should get off their arses and move to Dublin to improve their lot. Perhaps the idea of shanty towns along the side of the motorways has made them think again.
To be fair - and maybe overly semantic - I don't think those folk qualified as wingnuts. They were our Social Better Wise People.

As such I very much doubt that the actual presence of shantytowns would bother them per se - though the certainty that it would be reported on foreign tv etc certainly would.

fat finger

Ireland has for a long time been deporting its poor. Especially in the 40s 50s and sixties. All their descendents are now speaking with Cockney accents and are more English than the English themselves.

It's all about gettin' on yer bike, innit?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies