Let's not forget the PDs...

Mary Harney was interviewed opening another private rip-off clinic to take its part in our three-tier brave new health service today, and was asked if she felt any shame at what the government she has been a part of for 13 years had done to our country. Repeatedly, she dismissed any suggestion that it was anything other than a worldwide crisis in which the government had no responsibility whatsoever. It was hard to know whether she was lying through her teeth or just plain delusional, I couldn't tell through the layers of condescension and arrogance, but I think we all know by now the truth on that score.

What I have noticed though is that there is not enough attention being given, now that they are defunct, to the central role of the Progressive Democrats in our current humiliation. It was they and their deregulation cult Thatcherite lunacy, oh-so-trendy among the mediocre-minded and those who liked to believe that they were special if they wore wide pinstripes, pointy haircuts, and spoke management-speak bullsh1t bingo in trans-Atlantic accents, that, through ripping up the rule books (there for a bloody obvious reason), encouraged every cowboy in western Europe to come here to fill their boots. They and their kindred spirit, 'I fell off a horse' McCreevey, were given control of the economy and Ireland became hostage to the crazed fantasies of people who probably had posters of Ronald Reagan on their bedroom walls. This suited Ahern, an indecisive bluffer and charlatan, who was simply happy to let the money pour in so that he could buy everyone off and ensure his own position in power.

So, FF are rightly being pilloried for what they have done to our country since Ahern was made Taoiseach, but the PDs are being neglected. I feel this is unfair to them, I feel that they, and all the feeble-minded idiots who really believed that they were 'breaking the mould' rather than repeating the self-same laissez-faire mistakes that had been discredited by the consequences of the Great Famine, are not getting enough credit.

So, raise a glass to the PDs and to all their cult membership. We will probably see their kind again, unfortunately...

Cael

The PDs were a particularly nasty plague, that dragged Fianna Fáil down to unprecedented levels of depravity - even for them.

hiker

you are quite right Toxic.

It was all our fault. Because of our domination of the Irish political scene since our foundation in 1986 it is only correct to lay the blame at the feet of this colossus of political power in Ireland.

The lessons for the future should be NEVER allow a party with 5%-8% of the vote to dominate this great democracy again.

The great political giants of Fianna Fail, Fine Geal and The Labour Party, who trembled at our feet, should be forgiven, for they had no power, no control and no influence over our diabolical agenda.

Its just as well that the people saw through our macarbe lies and kicked us out of office over three and a half years ago.
They knew we had destroyed the country becuase in 2007 in the middle of the worldwide financial crisis which we, the PDs, had started single handedly......

Oh, wait a minute.....
eh,,,,erm...

let me get back to you on this....

Pauli

The PDs certainly deserve their place in the sun when we're playing the blame game. They always made out that they exercised a disproportionately large amount influence in the 1997-2007 administration so let us not forget that. Let us not forget the 7 doctrinaire PD budgets McCreevy delivered from 1997 to 2004 which did so much to cause the current clusterfkuc. Let us remember what economic policy was being implemented while Ahern was out opening pubs or whatever it was he was doing. A lot of that policy seems to have been phoned in from Harney's husband in IBEC (before she appointed him to Fas and even after it) and fine-tuned by Harney and McCreevy in the McEvaddy's villa in the South of France.

So much of this economic mess can be laid at the door of the PDs and the fact that they are defunct and Harney is still in the Cabinet is a measure of the degeneracy of Fianna Fail under Ahern and Cowen. Spines of jellyfish.

hiker

The PDs certainly deserve their place in the sun when we're playing the blame game. They always made out that they exercised a disproportionately large amount influence in the 1997-2007 administration so let us not forget that. Let us not forget the 7 doctrinaire PD budgets McCreevy delivered from 1997 to 2004 which did so much to cause the current clusterfkuc. Let us remember what economic policy was being implemented while Ahern was out opening pubs or whatever it was he was doing. A lot of that policy seems to have been phoned in from Harney's husband in IBEC (before she appointed him to Fas and even after it) and fine-tuned by Harney and McCreevy in the McEvaddy's villa in the South of France.

So much of this economic mess can be laid at the door of the PDs and the fact that they are defunct and Harney is still in the Cabinet is a measure of the degeneracy of Fianna Fail under Ahern and Cowen. Spines of jellyfish.
Ah Pauli.
I knew I might meet you here...:)

you are quite right Toxic.

It was all our fault. Because of our domination of the Irish political scene since our foundation in 1986 it is only correct to lay the blame at the feet of this colossus of political power in Ireland.

The lessons for the future should be NEVER allow a party with 5%-8% of the vote to dominate this great democracy again.

The great political giants of Fianna Fail, Fine Geal and The Labour Party, who trembled at our feet, should be forgiven, for they had no power, no control and no influence over our diabolical agenda.

Its just as well that the people saw through our macarbe lies and kicked us out of office over three and a half years ago.
They knew we had destroyed the country becuase in 2007 in the middle of the worldwide financial crisis which we, the PDs, had started single handedly......

Oh, wait a minute.....
eh,,,,erm...

let me get back to you on this....
Damage done by 2007, I'm afraid. And yes, you WERE in economic power, Ahern abdicated the economy to you so that he could concentrate on counting the Dollars in his sock. You were the puny tail wagging the rather fat dog.

There were construction workers protesting about their plight today, and the CIF turned up to support them. Foremost among the support, of course, was our old friend Tom Parlon, he who saved Ahern's bacon when McDowell was leading his men up the hill before returning back down again. They didn't seem to cop that a large part of their problem is down to the likes of Parlon. They should have been using their placards to make him a new and sudden dress to wear...

hiker

Damage done by 2007, I'm afraid. And yes, you WERE in economic power, Ahern abdicated the economy to you so that he could concentrate on counting the Dollars in his sock. You were the puny tail wagging the rather fat dog.
PDs had NO ECONOMIC ministry from 2004 onwards.
Our two minister were in Justice and Health with a junior in the OPW.

Find some other dog to kick.

Pauli

Ah Pauli.
I knew I might meet you here...:)
Hiya, Johnny. I hope life is treating you well in Spain. I suppose we should be grateful that we are not there to witness the loss of sovereignty which is the ultimate vote of "no confidence" in this God-awful government. But the biggest test of the Euro is still a bit off yet. Portugal is next in line and then the bond market will turn to Spain. I hope you're ready for it.

Pauli

And IBEC was the flea in that tail.

ballot stuffer

The PDs problem was that they couldn't resist the parish pump politics. Which pretty much made a mockery of their whole reason for existing.

hiker

Hiya, Johnny. I hope life is treating you well in Spain. I suppose we should be grateful that we are not there to witness the loss of sovereignty which is the ultimate vote of "no confidence" in this God-awful government. But the biggest test of the Euro is still a bit off yet. Portugal is next in line and then the bond market will turn to Spain. I hope you're ready for it.
I'm trying to hold my head high down here even though many of my friends actually show sympathy.

I think thats worse, to be honest.

My german partner has pointed out to me that this kind of disaster is not unique to Ireland. Her home country of Germany was destroyed and broke after the nazi regime.
the Americans came in with a big bailout, "The Marshall Plan".

It took many years for Germany to get back on her feet but she is a fully soveirign State today and there is no reason to believe that Ireland wont be in the future.

I'm optimistic.

hiker

The PDs problem was that they couldn't resist the parish pump politics. Which pretty much made a mockery of their whole reason for existing.
The PDs problem was that they could'nt do parish pump politics. If we could we might still be going!!

controller

Our two minister were in Justice and Health with a junior in the OPW. Find some other dog to kick.
Yes .........but they did have the votes in cabinet and that is where Tom the builder saved Da Bert..,

Skrynesaver

Our two minister were in Justice and Health with a junior in the OPW.

Find some other dog to kick.
Ahem.. didn't McGreedy decide not to join and stay with FF instead, he certainly walked like a PD and quacked like one.

In fairness the combination of fanatical liberalisation with FF populism created the fiscal crisis but it was the deregulation that caused the banking crisis that has us screwed now.

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
The PDs were the only decent thing to happen to Irish politics in the last 25 years. Which makes it even sadder that they chose to "go native" when they got into government with FF.

Last edited:

hiker

Yes .........but they did have the votes in cabinet and that is where Tom the builder saved Da Bert..,
Two votes in cabinet. I believe there are about 14 votes around the cabinet table.

If it makes you feel better then go ahead and blame the PDs.
I reckon that within the 20 years we were in government we never held more than 15% of voting power in any given cabinet decision.

To delude yourself that we were somehow more powerful than FF is just crazy

Pauli

I'm trying to hold my head high down here even though many of my friends actually show sympathy.

I think thats worse, to be honest.

My german partner has pointed out to me that this kind of disaster is not unique to Ireland. Her home country of Germany was destroyed and broke after the nazi regime.
the Americans came in with a big bailout, "The Marshall Plan".

It took many years for Germany to get back on her feet but she is a fully soveirign State today and there is no reason to believe that Ireland wont be in the future.

I'm optimistic.
So am I but I think the country needs massive political and electoral reform to recover. PR-STV has served us very very badly and we need to get rid of it.

I wouldn't have compared the FF/PD performance in government to the worst war in European history but it was you who said it. The Marshall Plan was a much more benign affair that what the IMF will do to us but the circumstances are totally different.

If they can strip out the blatant corruption, kill the quangos (which is only pork for FF hacks), institute strict public service procurement contracting processes and forensic inventory control systems, it will be a good start. There is an enormous job to do there but it requires the elimination of Fianna Fail and sending Harney into the retirement all Irishmen and Irishwomen deserve.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies