Letter in today's Independent

mickeyc

Website
finegael.csn.ul.ie
There is a letter in today's Irish Independent headed, 'FG will rise again'. The letter is signed as 'Sean Hales, Bank Place, Bandon, Co. Cork'. However, as any underage drinker in west Cork should know when the Gardaí ask for their name, the Sean Hales who resides at Bank Place is in fact a statue erected to the memory of a Civil War hero

Ernie

Pity you let the cat out of the bag coz it was the first positive piece on the Ind about FG for some time. Now you reveal it's a prank. :oops:

DOD

mickeyc said:
It's in today's Examiner too. You'd think they'd have some cop on, what with being based in Cork and all
That's true, the Examiner are usually strict with letters. Perhaps the person dealing with the letter just didn't know their history.

jjcarroll

Website
www.semper-idem.eu
DOD said:
mickeyc said:
It's in today's Examiner too. You'd think they'd have some cop on, what with being based in Cork and all
That's true, the Examiner are usually strict with letters.
Are they? I had always thought that they just publishd the rejected Irish Times ones.

I had thought all the newspapers rang the letter writers up to confirm that they wrote the letter before publishing them.

GusherING

jjcarroll said:
DOD said:
mickeyc said:
That's true, the Examiner are usually strict with letters.
Are they? I had always thought that they just publishd the rejected Irish Times ones.

I had thought all the newspapers rang the letter writers up to confirm that they wrote the letter before publishing them.
No they don't. Your letter, if it merits it, is just published withou being notified. Well thats what the Irish Times do anyway, I know first-hand. I suppose rags like the Indo just make up their letters as illustrated above. They probably get the names from tombstones in old and undercared for cemteries, how else could they fill an entire page with letters!!

DOD

Well I'm glad Barry's sense of humour hasn't failed him.

An Gilladaker

There is a letter in today's Irish Independent headed, 'FG will rise again'. The letter is signed as 'Sean Hales, Bank Place, Bandon, Co. Cork'. However, as any underage drinker in west Cork should know when the Gardaí ask for their name, the Sean Hales who resides at Bank Place is in fact a statue erected to the memory of a Civil War hero
At least they opened the letter hardly happen now:rolleyes:

freewillie

It is my understanding that John Mandeville, of New Market Square, Mitchelstown, is to write a reply this weekend!
I understand that he has been in correspondence with a Mr Billy Byrne of Arklow as well

Most Replies