LGBT school lessons protests in the uk

crossman

No state should be funding a single religion school. The state isn't obliged to cosset parents in their happy delusions.
Fair enough butt the state is substituting its own value system for that of the various religions. The state curriculum is not value free either and many people object to the values now being taught. Perhaps sex education should be left where it should belong - with parents.

Clanrickard

From that article:

:unsure:
So it is not sex education from which one can remove your child. It was removing scince teaching which goes against the curriculum. Orthodox Jews and Muslims have form in refusing to teach science that conflicts with their crackpot holy books.

The OD

So it is not sex education from which one can remove your child. It was removing scince teaching which goes against the curriculum. Orthodox Jews and Muslims have form in refusing to teach science that conflicts with their crackpot holy books.
Yep. I absolutely support their right to freedom of religion but have no time for any educational body that wants to deny science to their students.

Luckily, science and Judaism have had a long and productive relationship so I would take this as being an aberration rather than the rule.

Golah veNekhar

Luckily, science and Judaism have had a long and productive relationship so I would take this as being an aberration rather than the rule.
Among Iranian Jews yes, but among European Jews? European Jews were banned by the Rabbis from studying secular subjects that were not very directly related to making money until the early 19 th century (though there was a beginning of shifts against this in the late 18 th century in some places). Classical Rabbinic Jewish culture in Europe also banned the studying of other secular subjects. Also there are a good few scientific arguments against the whole notion of one species evolving into another.

Clanrickard

Among Iranian Jews yes, but among European Jews? European Jews were banned by the Rabbis from studying secular subjects that were not very directly related to making money until the early 19 th century (though there was a beginning of shifts against this in the late 18 th century in some places). Classical Rabbinic Jewish culture in Europe also banned the studying of other secular subjects. Also there are a good few scientific arguments against the whole notion of one species evolving into another.
Shut up you bigot.

Golah veNekhar

Shut up you bigot.
Oh look at all the struggles to get the Haredi (who maintain Classical Rabbinic traditions) to teach their kids secular subjects in the Zionist colonial project.

Clanrickard

Are they also refusing funding from that busybody British state?
Why should they? They pay taxes like everyone else. The state pays for the teachers the curriculum and all kids are obliged to be taught said curriculum. Sex ed is of course optional.

livingstone

Why should they? They pay taxes like everyone else. The state pays for the teachers the curriculum and all kids are obliged to be taught said curriculum. Sex ed is of course optional.
The State should not be funding efforts by schools to push parents to withdraw their kids from learning the national curriculum. If religious communities want to push parents to keep their kids ignorant they should do it on their own dime.

Clanrickard

The State should not be funding efforts by schools to push parents to withdraw their kids from learning the national curriculum. If religious communities want to push parents to keep their kids ignorant they should do it on their own dime.
If it is a mandatory part of the curriculum they should be sanctioned by Ofsted.

Dearghoul

I'm struggling, and not for the first time, with the connection between the sentences.

livingstone

If it is a mandatory part of the curriculum they should be sanctioned by Ofsted.
Doesn’t matter - even if it’s not a mandatory part, the decision rests with the parents. Schools receive funding to teach, not lobby or pressure parents into taking particular decisions. If a school wants to become a lobbying group to push parents to keep their kids in ignorance they should not receive state funding to do so.

Clanrickard

Doesn’t matter - even if it’s not a mandatory part, the decision rests with the parents. Schools receive funding to teach, not lobby or pressure parents into taking particular decisions. If a school wants to become a lobbying group to push parents to keep their kids in ignorance they should not receive state funding to do so.
The school had an ethos and they are pushing that ethos.

petaljam

The school had an ethos and they are pushing that ethos.
And if their ethos was that little girls should sit at the back of the classroom and not be heard too much (some Jewish and Muslim schools have been accused of this) would you be ok with that? And (second step) ok with taxpayers' money being used to help fund that ethos? I'm not.

Clanrickard

Yes I know. The state should not fund people to push a religious ethos - they should do it on their own dime.
I agree. But as long as a school has an ethos well they will push that ethos unfortunately.

livingstone

I agree. But as long as a school has an ethos well they will push that ethos unfortunately.
Ok - because your initial contribution seemed to welcome this behaviour. I agree it is unfortunate and shouldn’t happen in a state funded school.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
The thing is that the story about the jewish schools is not that some parents object to LGBT info, but some parents object to any form of sex education at all. No state should be funding schools where that is evident.

New Threads

Most Replies