Liam Cosgrave

tralee1

As a member of Fine Geal, I often hear members talking about Garret and Bruton. But i want to get the yfg on who i think was the best leader Fine Geal ever had Liam Cosgrave

CJH

I assume you're not referring to the Liam Cosgrave convicted of corruption the other day? Though at least he didn't allow the guards to beat up suspects

hiding behind a poster

CJH said:
I assume you're not referring to the Liam Cosgrave convicted of corruption the other day? Though at least he didn't allow the guards to beat up suspects

I doubt if they rang the Taoiseach's office, and asked "do ye mind if we thump seven bells of lard out of a few lads down here at the station?" - and Cosgrave said "fire away, lads". :roll:

CJH

The Government secretly supported the activities of the Heavy Gang. So much for FG 'Law and Order'.

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
My assessment of Liam Cosgrave is extremely negative. This was the Government in office when the Garda investigation into the Dublin-Monaghan bombings was called off. His views against contraception are also off-putting.

I regard Cosgrave's government as West-British.

Sunningdale is the one bright spot, but that never got off the ground so I wouldn't attach to much stall to that.

Pidge

FutureTaoiseach said:
His views against contraception are also off-putting.

Somewhat contradictory there. He was strongly Catholic and came out with that charming phrase about how he was a Catholic and served the Church first and foremost (I'll try and find the exact quote).

He was very much the conservative wing of FG. I'd be an admirer of the liberal wing - Garret's group.

FutureTaoiseach

Website
Pidge said:
FutureTaoiseach said:

Somewhat contradictory there. He was strongly Catholic and came out with that charming phrase about how he was a Catholic and served the Church first and foremost (I'll try and find the exact quote).

He was very much the conservative wing of FG. I'd be an admirer of the liberal wing - Garret's group.
The group that gave us the 1981 Abortion amendment you mean?

tralee1

Cosgrave took a tough approach in the 70's to law and order, The kind of approach we need now

FutureTaoiseach

Website
tralee1 said:
Cosgrave took a tough approach in the 70's to law and order, The kind of approach we need now
Wrong. He took a tough approach to Republican terrorism, while the Loyalists involved in Dublin-Monaghan bombings were allowed to go unhindered back to the North - even though the Gardai knew their identities.

tralee1

What could he do?. He did what he could, the conservative government in england were very pro uvf. He did what any honest think man would do or elase risk an all out war with the north

FutureTaoiseach

Website
tralee1 said:
What could he do?. He did what he could, the conservative government in england were very pro uvf. He did what any honest think man would do or elase risk an all out war with the north
Are you seriously saying that it was justifiable to let the murderers of 33 Southern Irish people escape to NI? That is an appalling point of view if you don't mind me saying so. The Government failed in its duty to the Irish people to punish Loyalist terrorists who slaughtered people in the South. To do this while simultaneously cracking down hard on Republican terrorism illustrates an apparent selectiveness with regard to what sort of terrorism the then government was concerned with fighting within its jurisdiction.

holdini

Pidge said:
FutureTaoiseach said:

"I am a Catholic first, and an Irishman second."

Pidge said:
FutureTaoiseach said:

That was John A. Costelloe who said i'm a catholic first and an Irishman second.
Besides, that government despite the memories of Halls pictorial Weekly, was relatively successful. It had to deal with the oil crisis and yet upon handing over power to Jack Lynch in 1977 the economy was in a stable state (something that could not be said again until 1989) Even Jack Lynch acknowledged the good state the finances were in upon entering power.
So how was he west British exactly, as opposed to any other leader of the state maybe apart from Haughey and Develera. Do you actually have any facts???

Johnny

tralee1 said:
Cosgrave led a government who presided over repression of civil liberties on a grand scale, curbing of freedom of the press, miscarraiges of justice, the brutality of suspects by police, debilitating economic depression and his coup de grace must be his capitiulation to the Brits after the D/M bombings (only rivalled by that of Union Jack Lynch after Bloody Sunday.)

Cosrgave was Blueshirt thug - nothing more, nothing less.

blue33

Liam Cosgrave, without doubt the best leader we ever had!
The man had a certain charisma, he never pandered to public opinion, always spoke his mind and stood up for what he believed in. How many politicans could you say that about today?

blue33

Johnny said:
tralee1 said:
Cosgrave led a government who presided over repression of civil liberties on a grand scale, curbing of freedom of the press, miscarraiges of justice, the brutality of suspects by police, debilitating economic depression and his coup de grace must be his capitiulation to the Brits after the D/M bombings (only rivalled by that of Union Jack Lynch after Bloody Sunday.)

Cosrgave was Blueshirt thug - nothing more, nothing less.
The man who presided over the introduction of equal pay for equal work, the end to compulsory Irish for civil service positions, an end to the ban on married women having careers, income tax for farmers, allowed a parliamentery vote on contraception( even though he personally opposed it), held his ground dispite global economic turmoil and turned the economy around, despite the North being on the brink of collapse, he negociated a landmark deal at Sunningdale.

The man is a living legend!

Johnny

tralee1 said:
how do you insert an image?
Right click on the picture, go to Properties, copy and paste the link details into your post, highlight the link and then click on

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies