Lichtenstein's $43 Million Pouting Redhead Brings Market `Back to Health'

truthisfree

Some good news from the art markets.

Roy Lichtenstein's previous best was $16.3 million and six other artists also broke records including abstract painter Mark Grotjahn, mobile maker Alexander Calder, and canvas stainer Morris Louis.
Pop art has always been very popular in the US market but like all markets there is always movement to different artists and styles. There was 15 of Andy Warhols works sold in the one night which is blamed for the lower than expected price for one of his soup and can opener canvases that sold for $23.9 million, expected price was $30 - $50 million.

Joan Miró (1893-1983)
Dessin dedicace
signed, indistinctly inscribed and dated 'per Joaquim Gomis/.../Miró' (lower centre)
watercolour and ink on paper
7½ x 5¼in. (19.2 x 13cm.)
Executed in December 1957​

Back down on terra firma I can at least dream about this gem by Joan Miro which sold for just under $30,000 almost twice it's estimate, always amazes me how even still masters like this can be purchased for the price of a car which devalues as soon as you pay for it while art does the opposite in almost every case!

André Derain (1880-1954)
La Russe
stamped with the artist's atelier stamp (lower right)
ink and wash on paper
9 x 8in. (22.7 x 20cm.)​

I found this deeper into the catalogue and it is really beautiful sold for $3,795, It is amazing that it is still possible to buy this artists work at this price! Now I am wondering how long it would take me to learn to paint? :)

truthisfree

I thought I would bump this again with some new auction results!

An Andy Warhol painting titled "Large Coca Cola" has put the fizz into Sotheby's New York contemporary art auction after it beat expectations and sold for 35.3 million dollars
Pop Art dominating the headlines again.

I am surprised at how many people that have money will buy gold which tbh is not very exciting to look at and yet good quality fine art constantly seems to hold it's value regardless of world recession and in a lot of cases increases enormously.

On Wednesday it's the turn of rival Christie's with its offering of contemporary art.

Last week both auction houses saw strong sales of impressionist and modern art, with an Amedeo Modigliani painting going for a record 69 million dollars and a Matisse selling for a record nearly 49 million dollars.
I am going to keep a close eye on the Irish sales as the Celtic tiger had quite an effect on sales and pricing and have some theories about how this will be reflected in the future.

Link

former wesleyan

Atelier means done by one of his students, doesn't it ? (in his atelier )

truthisfree

Atelier means done by one of his students, doesn't it ? (in his atelier )
Well spotted Atelier, and this tradition goes right back in the ages and leads to lots of expert speculation with Masters works sometimes being almost completely painted by his understudies and the final master strokes added at the end.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies