LIDL Store to Be Built in Swords.

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
After a lot of controversy LIDL has now received planning permission to build a store, very adjacent, to J C Savages famous supermarket here in Swords.

The Rathbeale road where it will be located already has a traffic problem because of the many thousands of cars and trucks coming to Dunnes and J Cs supermarket.

Should we welcome it because of the employment opportunities and bargains or should we be nimbys?
It will be handy for us as we will be just a couple of hundred metres from the store.

Thank goodness I know ways to skirt the backed up traffic when we need to leave Swords.

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
Having had the misfortune of working in the place for two years, I can only paraphrase Betjeman; "Come friendly bombs and fall on Swords".

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
Having had the misfortune of working in the place for two years, I can only paraphrase Betjeman; "Come friendly bombs and fall on Swords".
Try 32 years in Salford UK., "The Classic Slum", by Robert Roberts. (R.I.P.)

(Extracts of the book by a one time friend of mine can be read online)

Our 20 years in Swords has been very fortunate indeed. Close to the coast, countryside, airport, and Dublin.

Pauli

Excellent. I can pick up Glühwein on the way home at Christmas. :)

SilverLining

When are they opening one in Grafton Street ? The BT shop would be a faboulous site. The D4ers would be queueing up for the bargains.

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
Rathbeale you say? My wife and kids are descended from the big house.
Maurice, if you are a Swords man through and through you will know of the old family that lived there from time immemorial. Strangely they kept their position in society through the penal times, though they were of the taig persuasion. Maybe because they were inside the Pale.
History is complex.

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
Rathbeale you say? My wife and kids are descended from the big house.
Maurice, if you are a Swords man through and through you will know of the old family that lived there from time immemorial. Strangely they kept their position in society through the penal times, though they were of the taig persuasion. Maybe because they were inside the Pale.
History is complex.
I'm a southsider.

But, an auntie and uncle of mine lived all their lives in a cottage just off the Forest road to the rear of the Lord Mayor's pub.

As a child we would travel ALL the way from Golden bridge Dublin out into the country to Swords to visit and play with our 'culchie' cousins.
We would picnic in a farmer's field at Collinstown airport, burn straw to boil the kettle, and watch the planes arrive and take of again.

Social history is extremely complex. Did an elderly lady relative of yours die fairly recently, last year? She was a well educated woman.

New Threads

Most Replies