Life as a stabiliser: the Gaia hypothesis revisited

Finbar10

Heffer:

That's not your normal Lidl or Dunnes own brand. That is genuine Jacob's Crackers.
Nah. Lovelock was just a believer in the worst case scenario of global warming. That's where some kind of threshold would be exceeded and a kind of unstoppable feedback loop triggered involving methane clathrates in the arctic permafrost. The theory went that sufficient warming would cause the permafrost to thaw, releasing lots of the potent greenhouse gas methane, warming the atmosphere further, causing more melting and so on (perhaps involving more release of methane clathrates from the ocean bed as the ocean warmed further along in the cycle). He pointed to a period about 55 million years ago, called the Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum, when temperatures averaged about 8C above current temperatures and where there would have been no ice at the poles. A prime candidate for the cause that period is the release of methane clathrates perhaps initially triggered by volcanic activity raising CO2 levels to get the whole process going. There are certain parallels with what's happening at the moment. Lovelock argued that we were going to get an accelerated version of the Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum (getting to levels needed to trigger the feedback process within decades rather than centuries or millenia). Certainly if temperatures did increase by 8C over decades then there'd be chaos and large-scale starvation as he described. Of course, apparently so far the climate is far more resistant to the increased CO2 than he feared. He has admitted he seems to have gotten it wrong given observed warming trends. However, his arguments weren't "crackers" and did have a logical basis. And it's still not inconceivable, though less likely now, that at some point some kind of switch may be flipped regarding global warming and the planet head down the kind of path he described.

The OD

Science is stupid.
What I love most about science (and maths) is that there is no one answer to most things.

Personally, I believe the universe is just a bubble in a brane beings pint.

petunia

The Field Marshal

More of the horse manure shoveled by left wing secularists protecting poor Mother Earth.
:roll:
A butterfly flaps its wings in Amazon basin and this causes an earthquake in Chile.

Horspiss swallowed by an infinite number of fools.

ZOO this nonsensical OP.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
It is an extremely interesting and I think well argued book. Humans were meant to function as God's Vice Regents on earth and so channel Grace to the rest of Nature, however in turning against God we have become destroyers of our Sister the Earth and her other creatures. That our Sister would take revenge on us for this is not beyond the realms of possibility at all.
Grand, grand. Been channelling Grace all morning, meself, and could do with a break.

The Field Marshal

It is an extremely interesting and I think well argued book. Humans were meant to function as God's Vice Regents on earth and so channel Grace to the rest of Nature, however in turning against God we have become destroyers of our Sister the Earth and her other creatures. That our Sister would take revenge on us for this is not beyond the realms of possibility at all.
Pagan rubbish.

Stop re-drooling the deceits peddled by the false pope Bergoglio and his pagan Pachamama creed.

Cruimh

Members of this "Green Religion" will all agree that the Earth is in a crisis state and this ecological emergency is the result of Christian traditions. They believe that the Judeo-Christian belief that God assigned man to rule over the earth has caused us to exploit and abuse it. Monotheism, they assert, has separated humans from their ancient connection to the earth, and to reverse this trend governments, the media, our education system, artists, and other areas of influence must revive earth-centered myth and reconnect us to Earth's spirit. Al Gore, in his book "Earth in the Balance", expounds on this view:

"The richness and diversity of our religious tradition throughout history is a spiritual resource long ignored by people of faith, who are often afraid to open their minds to teachings first offered outside their own systems of belief. But the emergence of a civilization in which knowledge moves freely and almost instantaneously through the world has spurred a renewed investigation of the wisdom distilled by all faiths. This panreligious perspective may prove especially important where our global civilization's responsibility for the earth is concerned." (Earth in the Balance, pp. 258-259.)

Gore praises the Eastern religions and new age spiritualism, while blaming Christianity for the elimination of the ancient goddess religion, and calls for a new spiritual relationship between man and earth.
Gaia and Gaianism: What is Gaia? New Age Gaia, Hypothesis, Facts, Quotes

But at least Pope Francis is on the ball

Pope Francis: ‘Defender of the Pagan Gaia Faith’

Pope Francis Still Singing Praises for the Earth Spirit Gaia and Mother Earth

The OD

Originally Posted by Ratio Et Fides
Pagan rubbish.

Stop re-drooling the deceits peddled by the false pope Bergoglio and his pagan Pachamama creed.
Fundy Fights Are Fun!

The Field Marshal

There is no such valid pope as “pope Francis”

What you see is a pagan Cardinal masquerading as a catholic pope.

The poor bastard worships Pachamama a South American goddess who protects the earth.

You are a Protestant so easily deceived about such matters.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pachamama

Mitsui2

More of the horse manure shoveled by left wing secularists protecting poor Mother Earth.
:roll:
A butterfly flaps its wings in Amazon basin and this causes an earthquake in Chile.

Horspiss swallowed by an infinite number of fools.

ZOO this nonsensical OP.
To be fair, Marshal, it's a little more logical than a story that - misrepresented using your method - might be repeated as "a talking pigeon flaps its beak in Bethlehem and a carpenter nailed to a tree in Jerusalem saves a whole species as a result."

Different strokes for different folks and all that.

The Field Marshal

Judging by the numbers who accept the validity of his papacy, he's doing a bloody good job of it ....
Your biblical files will inform you that “the number of fools is infinite”

The OD

Is the crucifixion and resurrection a prophetic allegory for the pollution and destruction of the Industrial revolution?
I thought it was just another in a long line of rehashes of various pagan crucifixions and subsequent resurrections, but what would I know?

The Field Marshal

I learned that from p.ie.
Had you read your bible before p.ie it would have prevented you being deceived by this GaIa stuff.

The Field Marshal

From someone who has been dismissive of the Bible where it clashes with Roman Orthodoxy ......
Exactly.
Thank you.

The OD

Had you read your bible before p.ie it would have prevented you being deceived by this GaIa stuff.
I did read the Bible, some parts, several times.

All it did was convince me that Julian Jaynes might have been onto something.

statsman

I've read the bible. I've also read the telephone directory. I learned more from the latter.

New Threads

Most Replies