• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!

The Field Marshal

I've read the bible. I've also read the telephone directory. I learned more from the latter.
That’s because there are more people in it and you can talk to any of them.

The OD

I've read the bible. I've also read the telephone directory. I learned more from the latter.
The early Bible is a bit like a telephone directory, lots of listing of names - And Heshaggedagoat begat Shameitsagoat, who begat Holisticat who begat Sophisticat and so on.

Erudite Caveman

We all also fúcked at the cosmic level too.

Deep time sounds seriously boring, not even any matter to play with and as for the weather, dark and cold. Very, very cold.

:|
In fairness, it will at least offer the opportunity to finally get to all those books I've bought but haven't got around to yet.

statsman

The early Bible is a bit like a telephone directory, lots of listing of names - And Heshaggedagoat begat Shameitsagoat, who begat Holisticat who begat Sophisticat and so on.
They were begatting like rabbits.

The OD

In fairness, it will at least offer the opportunity to finally get to all those books I've bought but haven't got around to yet.
Quite and I can finally get around to finishing Ulysses......OK, you got me, I can finally get around to starting Ulysses......Goddamit, OK, I can finally get around to actually buying it for my book shelf to fill the void left by my removal of 'The Art of the Deal'....

The OD

Mercurial

"The Gaia hypothesis, also known as the Gaia theory or the Gaia principle, proposes that living organisms interact with their inorganic surroundings on Earth to form a synergistic and self-regulating, complex system that helps to maintain and perpetuate the conditions for life on the planet."

This seems obviously true but trivial. What is the alternative?

The Field Marshal

"The Gaia hypothesis, also known as the Gaia theory or the Gaia principle, proposes that living organisms interact with their inorganic surroundings on Earth to form a synergistic and self-regulating, complex system that helps to maintain and perpetuate the conditions for life on the planet."

It is most certainly both trivial and false.

The Field Marshal

There's a lot more truth in the phone book.
I don’t know about that.
But your hypothesis can only be proved by dialogue between you and the dudes in the Bible.

Which dudes in the Bible are you in communication with or is it all of them?

statsman

What most conventional life science pushes, that natural selection refers to the individual, and not the system, and that the circumstances that render life possible are, in effect, random chance. The traditional view is that the environment influences evolution; Gaia states that evolution influences the environment.

The Field Marshal

What most conventional life science pushes, that natural selection refers to the individual, and not the system, and that the circumstances that render life possible are, in effect, random chance. The traditional view is that the environment influences evolution; Gaia states that evolution influences the environment.
And a stopped clock is right twice in the day.
Your banal mantras sound like the ravings recorded by the loons in the now closed Gorman.

farnaby

I hate the phrase "we're killing the planet" - reading about Gaia suggests the planet will chew us up and spit us out in the equivalent of a millisecond of time and regenerate new life on Earth without us.

Sometimes wonder if AGW deniers would be converted 180 degrees to tackling it if they saw Earth/Gaia as an enemy to be thwarted rather than a weak vulnerable victim to be protected.

statsman

I don’t know about that.
But your hypothesis can only be proved by dialogue between you and the dudes in the Bible.

Which dudes in the Bible are you in communication with or is it all of them?
I couldn't find any of them in the phone book, apart from Spanish dude called Jesus, but he was the wrong one.

Mercurial

In what sense does evolution "influence" the environment?

The Field Marshal

In what sense does evolution "influence" the environment?
There is a symbiosis.
It is simplistic to see it as an either or situation.

The Field Marshal

I couldn't find any of them in the phone book, apart from Spanish dude called Jesus, but he was the wrong one.
Ok..
I will try and find some addresses for you to write to.
I am not hopeful though as leaving a forwarding address is a recent thing with an Post.

Mercurial

There is a symbiosis.
It is simplistic to see it as an either or situation.
I would have thought that the standard view is that evolution affects the environment and that the environment affects evolution.

That's why I'm finding it hard to see what's distinctive about this view.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom