Life repeating art?

Cruimh

One of the early - and best episodes IMO - of Father Ted was about the protesting against the Passion of Saint Tibulus:

and now from Craggy Belfast....

Belfast priest outraged at plans to show satanic films in Catholic church

A priest in Belfast has told the Irish Sunday Times he is horrified at plans by the Belfast Film Festival to show the horror films The Exorcist and The Omen in an abandoned Catholic church.

Father Patrick McCafferty said that showing the films in the former Holy Rosary Church on Ormeau Road, was “cynical and crass”.

“I think that showing these films in what was once a sacred place, that holds many memories for parishioners, is a really childish stunt,” Father McCafferty said.

“You wonder what the motives of the people at the film festival is and why they would choose a church in which to air these films. There’s a basic lack of sensitivity towards people who would have memories of everything from baptisms to weddings and funerals from inside that building.”
Is anybody really going to give a damn?

The Church is no longer a church. It has been deconsecrated and sold.

The films? Been available online and on TV for years.

A bit late now to be worrying about what use the old building will be put to surely? If they cared about what previous parishioners thought surely they shouldn't have sold it in the first place?

Deadlock

One of the early - and best episodes IMO - of Father Ted was about the protesting against the Passion of Saint Tibulus:

and now from Craggy Belfast....

Belfast priest outraged at plans to show satanic films in Catholic church

Is anybody really going to give a damn?

The Church is no longer a church. It has been deconsecrated and sold.

A bit late now to be worrying about what use the old building will be put to surely? If they cared about what previous parishioners thought surely they shouldn't have sold it in the first place?
It would motivate me to go and see the film.

Life imitating art.

wombat

The films are dated for a festival, I saw a good spoof of the exorcist, not as funny as the original appears now.:lol:

McTell

Twitter
No
St Tibulus was a great man all the same...

[video=youtube;hpPDkZejrHE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpPDkZejrHE[/video]

Orbit v2

There was an interview on the radio the other day with an entrepreneur who is turning an old church in Dublin city centre into a distillery. He specifically said they were putting distillation equipment on the altar. I did wonder what religious types would think of that, and he was asked what his mother (religious and tee-total) would think. He thought she wouldn't have a problem and that was the end of it.

Point being it's funny how random these controversies are. It's like people with too much time on their hands read the papers and ask "Will I get all worked up about this?" Sometimes they say yes, and other times they say "Nah. The sun is shining. I'll go and sit outside" :)

Half Nelson

Man gives his opinion shocker.

Half Nelson

There was an interview on the radio the other day with an entrepreneur who is turning an old church in Dublin city centre into a distillery. He specifically said they were putting distillation equipment on the altar. I did wonder what religious types would think of that, and he was asked what his mother (religious and tee-total) would think. He thought she wouldn't have a problem and that was the end of it.

Point being it's funny how random these controversies are. It's like people with too much time on their hands read the papers and ask "Will I get all worked up about this?" Sometimes they say yes, and other times they say "Nah. The sun is shining. I'll go and sit outside" :)
It's the silly season, made all the more silly by journalists' easy access to the internet.

GDPR

No surprise that Cruimh is a fan of that disgusting piece of hate propaganda "Father Ted".

Niall996

The Holy Spirit indeed. Don't see any issue here. Alcohol & Christianity have always had a sacred connection.

And in the Exorcist, doesn't it support Christian doctrine? Haven't seen it in along time but doesn't one of the priests win out in the end. And doesn't the biblical chanting do the trick? And in a world that laughs at the Christian doctrine of demons and demonic possession shouldn't the priest be delighted that his fairytale religion is getting a run out?

Last edited:

McTell

Twitter
No
///

Or not random at all.

One of the nicer challenges in the business world is to generate free publicity, and the media are often happy to oblige.

The approach is oblique, you get a friend to call a journo with a "you'll never believe it..." story.

*EPIC SUCCESS*

Not sure why he would have an issue - in both movies, Satan is shown up to be a real @sshole?

Bit of a Denis O'Brien-like figure but with a little more charisma.

Bea C

storybud1

any old mosques need buying up to do the same ?? funny that ??

the scum media love anything to reinforce their own ultra liberal fascist politics, they could have easily just ignored it and actually gone out and done a days work investigating real stories that involved reality,,

Personally I would like to see one, just one journalist do a real story on the reality of our insane judicial system that sees dangerous scum free on bail to murder rape and pillage.

If for example an alleged case of a known dangerous piece of scum was let out on bail and raped some poor woman that the journalist would follow the trail,

Interview all the scums previous victims at length so they can tell their story
Interview the people in his backround and childhood to build a robust picture of him
Report on the Judges decision to grant bail and really , really raise the issue if victims of the scum should be allowed to sue the Judge and the dept of Justice for damages for their incompetence in granting bail and light sentencing (all those 200 previous convictions scumbags etc)
The sheer dangerous behaviour of the justice system in not doing their job is reality, the fact that they are untouchable is really shameful for a democracy and really says something about where the power lies in this Country.

Mitsui2

St Tibulus was a great man all the same...

[video=youtube;hpPDkZejrHE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpPDkZejrHE[/video]
We had real saints in those days.

Satan literally trembled, the dirty Prod bastard!

*EPIC SUCCESS*

She's a Quaker gone worse ....
I have a friend who is a Quaker. You really couldn't meet a nicer human being in every respect.

He mentions his faith from time to time but never in a preachy way. 35 years I know him and he had never tried to convince me of his beliefs.

New Threads

Most Replies