Light Rail for Cork: What Route would you like?

ruserious

The government announced today the introduction of a light rail to Cork in the infrastructure 2040 plan.

It begs the question on possible routes?

Personally I would have it start in Kent Station, head down Patrick's Street, out Washington St and on to UCC, CUH, Bishopstown, CIT, Model Farm Road and finish up in Ballincollig. This particular route could take a lot of traffic off the roads and service the two main third level institutions in the City.

Any other ideas?

Last edited:

Erudite Caveman

The government announced today the introduction of a light rail to Cork in the infrastructure 2040 plan.

Personally I would have it start in Kent Station, head down Patrick's Street, out Washington St and on to UCC, Bishopstown, CIT, Model Farm Road and finish up in Ballincollig. This particular route could take a lot of traffic off the roads and service the two main third level institutions in the City.

Any other ideas?
Seems to be the most obvious route. Would create havoc at Dennehy's Cross though, I suspect.

locke

The major destinations for Cork traffic are
- Cork City Centre
- City Gate (Mahon)
- Cork Airport Business Park
- UCC
- CIT
- CUH
- Little Island
- Ringaskiddy

Secondary are
- Mahon Point Shopping Centre
- Douglas (especially schools there)
- Blackpool

You try to link as many of them as possible, but you probably find that Douglas and Blackpool are too far from other potential points on the network to be worth connecting as secondaries, while Ringaskiddy is too far even as a primary.

There may also be a case for converting the Midleton/Cobh rail line to light-rail operation so you could have it coming through from East Cork the whole way to CIT. Trams would be a little slower than trains, but this is made up for by the fact that they have better acceleration and aren't slowed as much at stops. Also, getting taken closer to destination would improve timings.

So you probably get an east-west core network from Kent Station to CIT, with spurs off to Mahon, CUH and possibly East Cork. Ballincollig/Blackpool/Douglas may be for future stages of expansion, as has happened with Luas extensions in Dublin. The terrain up to Cork Airport is challenging (although not impossible) for light rail and may be better served by a high quality bus route.

ruserious

In addition to the east-west line alluded to in my OP, another possibility is a North-South Line, running from the new town out in Grenagh, into Blackpool, Patrick's Street, Grand parade, City Hall, Douglas Road, Rochestown, Carrigaline.

GDPR

It'll be called the CUAS, means nothing but it starts with a C, so clearly a winner. CART doesn't sound so great..

ruserious

It'll be called the CUAS, means nothing but it starts with a C, so clearly a winner. CART doesn't sound so great..
I dunno lad:

"sure will we take the CART to Ballincollig there la..."

could catch on.

He3

It really didn't.

This is what the document says.

A Cork Transport Strategy is also being finalised by
the relevant Local Authorities in partnership with
the NTA which includes proposals for a revised bus
system for Cork and enhancements to the commuter
rail service in Cork including additional stations and
rail fleet. This transport strategy will also evaluate the
potential of a Bus Rapid Transit or Light Rail corridor
to serve the increased population growth as envisaged
by the NPF and subject to the necessary development
consolidation by the Local Authorities to support the
appraisal, planning and design for provision of such a
high capacity corridor in the later stages of the period
of the strategy. BusConnects programmes will be
delivered for Galway and Cork to include new bus
fleets; bus lanes with segregated cycling; revised bus
service networks; and park-and-ride facilities.

http://www.gov.ie/en/pdf-viewer/?file=https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/govieassets/18/5569359-NDP strategy 2018-2027_WEB.pdf#page=55

In plain English it says someone might look at light rail for Cork sometime. Meantime take the bus.

Last edited:

Mercurial

Personally I would have it start in Kent Station, head down Patrick's Street, out Washington St and on to UCC, Bishopstown, CIT, Model Farm Road and finish up in Ballincollig. This particular route could take a lot of traffic off the roads and service the two main third level institutions in the City.

Any other ideas?
What you've described would be my ideal route. Most of the places worth going in Cork would be nearby.

Mick Mac

Called Light rail In cork Environment or LICE

Pronounced Like ,:)

Boy M5

Goleen to Sherkin.

Do you remember when PJ Sheehan used to be interviewed on Vinnie's RTÉ radio programme?

Montenote or Killiney to 'Ballteemore" or "Skull" for the yachties?

It's a posh version of Dustin bringing the Dart to Dingle.

livingstone

Any other ideas?
I think that would certainly be right but if it's being done there should be connectivity to the Airport. The route you suggest would work with a branch line from CUH to the Airport.

You could also have a sort of semi-circle line from Kent Station, north to Blackpool, east via Mayfield, Tivoli, Little Island, Mahon, Rochestown and Douglas (you could extend to connect to an Airport line at Togher).

I doubt any of this will happen, but fun to invent it.

Bea C

I think that would certainly be right but if it's being done there should be connectivity to the Airport. The route you suggest would work with a branch line from CUH to the Airport.

You could also have a sort of semi-circle line from Kent Station, north to Blackpool, east via Mayfield, Tivoli, Little Island, Mahon, Rochestown and Douglas (you could extend to connect to an Airport line at Togher).

I doubt any of this will happen, but fun to invent it.
I have a conference in Little Island next month.
Out of city locations don't suit me, but I suppose they do suit drivers!
I'll just get a taxi out from my friend's that morning, I think.

Boy M5

You try hitching?

Mushroom

The Little Island Radisson is lovely - but probably not cheap.

New Threads

Most Replies