Light Rail for Cork: What Route would you like?

SEAMAI

Ballincollig to Carrigaline, linking CIT, CUH, UCC, city centre, close to Bus Office and Kent station, Docklands,Pairc Ui Caoimh, Douglas Village and on to Carrigaline. I'd be thinking way ahead and put the Bishopstown to Douglas section underground, laugh if you want, there are several similar sized cities around Europe,
with at least one underground line or a section of tramline which has been placed underground.
Dublin didn't think big 20/30/40 years ago and look at the mess they're in now.

Finbar10

Train station to Pairc ui Chaoimh would suit me nicely.
Under the Cork Docklands plan, if that happens, there'd likely would be a bridge straight across the river near Páirc Úi Chaoimh to not too far from the station (would make it a short enough hop :) ).

Boy M5

Ballincollig to Carrigaline, linking CIT, CUH, UCC, city centre, close to Bus Office and Kent station, Docklands,Pairc Ui Caoimh, Douglas Village and on to Carrigaline. I'd be thinking way ahead and put the Bishopstown to Douglas section underground, laugh if you want, there are several similar sized cities around Europe,
with at least one underground line or a section of tramline which has been placed underground.
Dublin didn't think big 20/30/40 years ago and look at the mess they're in now.
CUH, UCC, CIT are regional amenities. The other places are domitory towns, transport nodes or development areas. Makes sense.

Will Kerry want a Luas from Killarney train & bus station to FitzGerald Stadium.

GDPR

CUH, UCC, CIT are regional amenities. The other places are domitory towns, transport nodes or development areas. Makes sense.

Will Kerry want a Luas from Killarney train & bus station to FitzGerald Stadium.
A bullet train, nothing less!

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
They love their cars in Cork, will they or anyone in any city leave the throbbing V* at home and take a bus? Really.

livingstone

They love their cars in Cork, will they or anyone in any city leave the throbbing V* at home and take a bus? Really.
One reason they love their cars is because the bus network is so patchy. Cork has been ripe for a light rail solution for years.

wexfordman

The government announced today the introduction of a light rail to Cork in the infrastructure 2040 plan.

It begs the question on possible routes?

Personally I would have it start in Kent Station, head down Patrick's Street, out Washington St and on to UCC, Bishopstown, CIT, Model Farm Road and finish up in Ballincollig. This particular route could take a lot of traffic off the roads and service the two main third level institutions in the City.

Any other ideas?
There was up till about five years ago the old tramline tracks still just off mccurtain street, can't remember the name of the street, but it was a cobvled laneway and the tracks ran down the middle of it. Think they were taken up recently, suppose new ones will go down again :)

The Field Marshal

I agree it could start in Kent Station but it should then turn eastward across the harbor for forty miles then due south to leg around Skellig Michael making a homeward journey by Skibereen .

The Field Marshal

Anything that reduces the number of cars in cork is to be welcomed.
Careful.
There are enough nut job car haters without adding to the problem.

Mind you these hypocrites never have a problem getting into a car and using one when it suits.

Finbar10

There was up till about five years ago the old tramline tracks still just off mccurtain street, can't remember the name of the street, but it was a cobvled laneway and the tracks ran down the middle of it. Think they were taken up recently, suppose new ones will go down again :)
Parnell Bridge. I know an elderly guy (still alive and well in his 90s) in Cork who remembers the trams. One line used to go from Sunday's Well, through the city centre, across to Summerhill and actually going uphill for quite a bit as far as Luke's Cross on the North of the City where he used to hop on and off. Not the only line either (others going to Blackpool, Blackrock and Douglas etc.).

Finbar10

It has been many a year since I've had to depend on public transport in general or buses in Cork in particular thankfully. In those days, they were pretty sh1t. Many's the morning in the rain I waited for a bus and not for it to arrive (and similarly for the next scheduled one, and sometimes even the next after that). From what I hear it's not quite as bad as that any more, but still fairly sh1t. Generally, those that don't have to, well, don't (for good reasons), and the young, poor and old who have more limited choices, do. If there actually was a decent and reliable bus system, then perhaps a wider range of people might actually depend on it.

cricket

No need for a light rail system. Much cheaper to invest in an improved bus system with more bus lanes.
Light rail is little more than a vanity project.

razorblade

Not needed just increase the bus frequency or the existing heavy rail infrastructure light rail isnt financial viable.

ruserious

Not needed just increase the bus frequency or the existing heavy rail infrastructure light rail isnt financial viable.
I disagree. If you implemented the route I described in the OP you would get passengers from the rail network, people going to City Centre, UCC, CUH, CIT, Bishopstown and out to Ballincollig. That's a huge volume of potential passengers. You wouldn't require as many buses clogging up parts of the city where no bus lanes exist and far more reliable getting people to work on time.

Ardillaun

The war is lost. Further resistance is futile. ‘Begs the question’ now means ‘raises the question’.

Ultan Murphy

The most logical route for CART is to expand down the existing rail lines into East Cork encouraging a park and ride beyond Midleton starting at Mogeely phasing in Killeagh and eventually Youghal. The road infrastructure on the N25 is struggling to cope with the current volume of traffic.

The plan is to expand the city boundaries down that direction anyway. Midleton and Carrigtwohill will just become suburbs of the city.

The very last thing that I would like to see is a duplication of the LUAS system from Dublin whereby road space in Cork City is cannibalised to fit light rail on the main streets. Dublin should have gone underground instead of consuming valuable road space.

Looking ahead to 2050 it would be logical to build a new independent airport in East Cork with a runway long enough to land large aircraft for transatlantic. Commuters would catch a train into the city. Having an airport at sea level low cloud resistant and out of the clutches of their competitor in Dublin should be of interest to everyone.

It would open the whole region as the place to be.

Bea C

I suppose CUH is the critical one.
And fortunately the colleges are on either side of that!
I don't drive, so any improvements to public transport are especially welcome to me.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies