Light Rail for Cork: What Route would you like?

Street Train Man

Forget about light rail it is to expensive to install..... go with rubber tired trams and save save save. Provide introductory circular route on a east west axis through the city center. Can extend service into the docklands area, to Douglas, Blackpool and westwards to Bishopstown at a later stage. :lol:

former wesleyan

Not needed just increase the bus frequency or the existing heavy rail infrastructure light rail isnt financial viable.
Frequency is only half the story. Getting from the residential area to the Uni and the hospital by bus is a pain. Changing and waiting.

Emily Davison

I have a conference in Little Island next month.
Out of city locations don't suit me, but I suppose they do suit drivers!
I'll just get a taxi out from my friend's that morning, I think.

Why don't you you hire a car, my husband does frequently, next month he has a car booked for two days and it costs less than 20 euro.

Analyzer

It'll be called the CUAS, means nothing but it starts with a C, so clearly a winner. CART doesn't sound so great..
A CART would be faster than a CUAS, because the DART is faster than the LUAS.

Analyzer

What's the point? We all know the Cork Urban Networked Transport will be full of langers anyway.
I suppose in the venacular, people will get to a location my "grabbing them by the pu55y".

corporal punishment

Seems to be the most obvious route. Would create havoc at Dennehy's Cross though, I suspect.
Not if it followed the old Muskerry route out to Ballincollig. Lots of room there. Yeah, I'd avoid Dennehys cross.

SEAMAI

Linked to this Cork also needs more park & ride facilities. The one at the Black Ash seems to work very well but more are needed.
I have friends in east Cork who car share (which needs to be encouraged where possible) to Glounthaune, were the two branches of the east Cork rail line converge so trains are frequent and then travel the 10/12 minutes into the city centre by train, again more encouragement and incentives are required to increase use of public transport.

Rural

Parnell Bridge. I know an elderly guy (still alive and well in his 90s) in Cork who remembers the trams. One line used to go from Sunday's Well, through the city centre, across to Summerhill and actually going uphill for quite a bit as far as Luke's Cross on the North of the City where he used to hop on and off. Not the only line either (others going to Blackpool, Blackrock and Douglas etc.).
When my Grandparents got married (mid 1920s) my Grandfather brought my Grandmother to a Finbarr's hurling match the day after the wedding, the Finbarr's won, my Grandfather threw his hat up in the air, didn't wait for it to drop and ran off with the crowd to celebrate.

Later in the evening someone asked him where his new bride was, he was shocked with himself that he had forgotten all about her and had forgotten he was married. He asked around and someone said "ah she's fine, I saw her covering the number on the tram home".

Seemingly there was a seat on the tram where your legs would cover the number of the tram.:)

Watcher2

The government announced today the introduction of a light rail to Cork in the infrastructure 2040 plan.

It begs the question on possible routes?

Personally I would have it start in Kent Station, head down Patrick's Street, out Washington St and on to UCC, Bishopstown, CIT, Model Farm Road and finish up in Ballincollig. This particular route could take a lot of traffic off the roads and service the two main third level institutions in the City.

Any other ideas?
Will it be faster than walking?

hellsbells

I wouldn`t be getting too excited because it wont happen . The cove has a bit of form in the area of

promises etc etc ................

Lord Talbot

Will it get a pointlessly twee Gaelic name like the Dublin Light Rail system?

Rural

What's the point? We all know the Cork Urban Networked Transport will be full of langers anyway.
Ah, I remember all us children sitting at Grandpappy's feet, as he puffed on his pipe and regaled us with stories of pushing wisecracks like you under the trams back in the 1920s. How we laughed at the carnage.:)

Mrs. Crotta Cliach

All I want is something that goes from Kent station to CUH and I'd be happy. Right now it is a taxi.

cricket

All I want is something that goes from Kent station to CUH and I'd be happy. Right now it is a taxi.
If you walked from Kent station to the end of Summerhill (5 minutes) you could get a 208 to CUH. Alternatively, you could get a 205 from Kent, change in Patrick street and hop on a 208 there.

Mrs. Crotta Cliach

If you walked from Kent station to the end of Summerhill (5 minutes) you could get a 208 to CUH. Alternatively, you could get a 205 from Kent, change in Patrick street and hop on a 208 there.
And there is the problem, this old body can no longer do all that walking.

locke

And there is part of the problem. You have to pay for two tickets, so the cost is down to a lottery of where bus routes go. It really is about time that we went to a system where your ticket gets you an hour on any bus, as is the way in most European countries.

locke

Linked to this Cork also needs more park & ride facilities. The one at the Black Ash seems to work very well but more are needed.
I have friends in east Cork who car share (which needs to be encouraged where possible) to Glounthaune, were the two branches of the east Cork rail line converge so trains are frequent and then travel the 10/12 minutes into the city centre by train, again more encouragement and incentives are required to increase use of public transport.
Black Ash has been struggling in recent years.

Improvements to the regular bus routes to Carrigaline, Ballincollig and Kinsale have meant that people have got on the bus closer to home rather than driven to the Park and Ride. Of course, that is how it should be. Park and Ride should really appeal to people in one-off rural homes or villages that don't have public transport. Getting someone straight on the bus is a better solution.

Having said that, creating a Park and Ride near an existing piece of transport infrastructure should be a no brainer. There should be one near one of the train stations in East Cork and something between Blackpool and Blarney that could be served by the regular 215 bus.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies