Light Rail for Cork: What Route would you like?

livingstone

All I want is something that goes from Kent station to CUH and I'd be happy. Right now it is a taxi.
Doesn't the No 8 go from Kent to CUH?

Buses not as reliable as they should be, but as routes go, Kent to CUH is one of the easier ones by public transport.

locke

Buses not as reliable as they should be, but as routes go, Kent to CUH is one of the easier ones by public transport.
It goes from Summerhill North. It's a relatively easy walk from Kent Station if you are able bodied, but with people requiring medical treatment and elderly people visiting loved ones among the users, there are plenty who aren't.

Diverting the 208 into Kent Station might work westbound, but it would be awkward heading the other direction.

Simpler solutions could be to move the 214 terminus from Merchant's Quay to Kent Station (although it's route is indirect) or using Kent Station as the terminus for all the buses to West Cork (236, 237, 239) and alllowing them to drop at CUH. The latter option would integrate the West Cork bus services with rail and provide 20 journeys a day between the train station and CUH.

Mrs. Crotta Cliach

It goes from Summerhill North. It's a relatively easy walk from Kent Station if you are able bodied, but with people requiring medical treatment and elderly people visiting loved ones among the users, there are plenty who aren't.

Diverting the 208 into Kent Station might work westbound, but it would be awkward heading the other direction.

Simpler solutions could be to move the 214 terminus from Merchant's Quay to Kent Station (although it's route is indirect) or using Kent Station as the terminus for all the buses to West Cork (236, 237, 239) and alllowing them to drop at CUH. The latter option would integrate the West Cork bus services with rail and provide 20 journeys a day between the train station and CUH.
Perfect. Then one could make ones appointment without hours spent before and after trying to co-ordinate trains, buses and appointments.

cricket

The 205 goes from Kent to CIT, also stopping at UCC, before heading out Model Farm Road.

livingstone

OK - I could have sworn that the 8 went from the train station but I must be misremembering.

Might be confusing it with the 5.

livingstone

The 205 goes from Kent to CIT, also stopping at UCC, before heading out Model Farm Road.
That may be what I'm thinking of. My interaction with Cork buses was entirely based on the 8 and the 5. I knew the 8 went to CUH and I knew I was able to get one of them from Kent. Evidently it was the 5 rather than the 8 though.

'orebel

That may be what I'm thinking of. My interaction with Cork buses was entirely based on the 8 and the 5. I knew the 8 went to CUH and I knew I was able to get one of them from Kent. Evidently it was the 5 rather than the 8 though.
Yep. But the 5 stops at the now closed Rendezvous Bar which is a 2 minute walk from the hospital rear entrance.

locke

Linking Douglas to the Airport would also be great. There are a lot of people working in Cork Airport Business Park from the Douglas area, so this could attract some patronage. It would also take some pressure off the 226/226A, which needs supplementary buses during rush hour.

The downside for Glanmire passengers is that their bus would end up going through Douglas. Although the South Douglas Rd isn't so bad, buses have been taking up to 20 minutes to cross Douglas Village during the morning peak and it has been screwing reliability on all services that pass through it. Douglas is in greater need of investment to improve bus speeds than the city centre is.

That's also why it's a bit unfair of the NTA to ask Bus Eireann to address service issues. While there are things in Bus Eireann's power (e.g. putting in pass validators as on Dublin Bus), the real issue is with lack of bus priority measures on the roads and that is the fault of the County Council, City Council (not as guilty as the county council as they have made some efforts) and TII.

locke

One thing that has occurred to me rather late in the day on this is that among all the talk of alignments, we need to consider where a depot might go.

For the core alignment that I think most of us agree on, the only possibilities seem to be in the greenbelt between CIT and Ballincollig (would cause a stink), on the grounds of either Bishopstown GAA Club or Highfield Rugby Club (would cause an even bigger stink), or somewhere in the Docklands (a low value use of what is the city's main development area).

Locating a depot may mean an area getting included, even when it's not obvious. It could also be a reason to look at whether the East Cork rail lines should be converted. It could provide access to a depot and I'm also sure that Irish Rail would like to relocate all their maintenance facilities away from Horgan's Quay to free up that site for sale.

cricket

One thing that has occurred to me rather late in the day on this is that among all the talk of alignments, we need to consider where a depot might go.

For the core alignment that I think most of us agree on, the only possibilities seem to be in the greenbelt between CIT and Ballincollig (would cause a stink), on the grounds of either Bishopstown GAA Club or Highfield Rugby Club (would cause an even bigger stink), or somewhere in the Docklands (a low value use of what is the city's main development area).

Locating a depot may mean an area getting included, even when it's not obvious. It could also be a reason to look at whether the East Cork rail lines should be converted. It could provide access to a depot and I'm also sure that Irish Rail would like to relocate all their maintenance facilities away from Horgan's Quay to free up that site for sale.
The proposed site of the events centre ?

Analyzer

Just wondering, is this anything more that "Dublin has one, therefore Cork must ALSO have one " ?

And also, given that the Luas has proven not the most economic means of transport in Dublin, are there other considerations apart from light rail that might be more useful ?

cricket

Just wondering, is this anything more that "Dublin has one, therefore Cork must ALSO have one " ?

And also, given that the Luas has proven not the most economic means of transport in Dublin, are there other considerations apart from light rail that might be more useful ?
I have already posted here that I consider the proposal a huge waste of money. A high frequency/speed bus service with more bus lanes would more than suffice.

Roll_On

An east-west luas line in Cork would be fantastic, it needn't stop right outside kent station, it'd be better to build a pedestrian bridge from the quays and put in very good pedestrian and cycling facilities from there to south of the river and continue the line eastwards.

In addition the Blackpool road and south link road have plenty of room to build more BRT routes. Then in the City remove the riverside onstreet parking, put in wider footpaths and more cycling lanes, put in car bans around Partrick St. Electrify the Cobh/Middleton line and the Mallow line and bring in 15 minute frequency DARTs/CARTs open more stations north of the City. Bring in integrated ticketing.

Cork is going to be chockers with development over the next decade and that development will be very dense:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/cork-citys-skyline-set-for-dramatic-transformation-467356.html

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies