Like it or not, these mass killings are going to change our behaviour and way of life

yosef shompeter

Kabul blast: 80 killed in attack near diplomatic area in Afghanistan - CNN.com

Hot-foot on the bomb-attack on the school-girl's teeny-bopper night in Manchester (22 dead so far, but still counting) there's been a follow up in Kabul with 80 dead and 150 or so wounded.

Of course one can point to the military involvement of the world powers.
One can point to the massive arms sales by, you name it: U.S., Russia, France, Germany, UK., Brazil, Israel, Czechia etc.
One might (if one was a devout follower) present the case of the mujahedeen el qualq, the el nusra ( who are they?) the Isis etc etc. the Shia group, the Taliban...

But it looks as if the terrible atrocities are right next door now that the dust has settled on the rubble in Manchester.

What will this mean for us in our daily lives?

a) A cautious approach to attending large gatherings: Football matches, theater, churches, discos, concerts open-air markets...supermarkets...? Hey we could do it all on our mobiles and stay away from the madding crowd.
-- not good for the tourist industry at all -- at all ........ :|

b) We will become a surveillance state -- and just lovin' it! Surveillance Cameras everywhere. The govt knows the state of your bank details with the hit of the return button.
One could argue that this state of affairs has long arrived. No secrets any more. Would you like to inspect my haemorrhoids?

c) last point. Can anyone suggest how one can turn back the clock? looks like there's no going back to those days of innocence and whatever privacy and safety there was.

Last edited:

Dadaist

We will get used to increased security. I had three pat downs getting into GnR at the weekend.

Outside of the proposed laptop ban, I am not sure what much more can be done regarding air travel.

The likes of the UK, France, and Spain, spent most of the latter half of the last century dealing with terror threats. Life will continue. It always does.

I'll dial into the time machine.

Date: January 1st 1972.

Tighten your belts and let the good times roll!

razorblade

Hopefully no more pussyfooting around and have more open discussions on mass immigration and islam, closing down of extremist mosques, deport all hate preachers from the country, ban all islamic face veils in public, islamic schools, sharia law etc, enforce tight restrictions on Islamic immigration into the country, deport all bogus asylum seekers, foreign criminals and anyone with links to terrorist activities.

Zadig

c) last point. Can anyone suggest how one can turn back the clock? looks like there's no going back to those days of innocence and whatever privacy and safety there was.
Not much, other then trying to get on with our lives exactly as before, in the knowledge that the odds of being killed are quite low. And fighting most attempts at surveillance and police state nonsense, given that that's the greater issue.

GDPR

Raised in NI when bombs were going off daily and army check points were a fact of life.

You passed through one when you entered the street and another when you exited it. Metal detectors.

Hold your piss, this is not going to happen in Europe generally. Find a video game and have fun.

razorblade

Raised in NI when bombs were going off daily and army check points were a fact of life.

You passed through one when you entered the street and another when you exited it. Metal detectors.

Hold your piss, this is not going to happen in Europe generally. Find a video game and have fun.
Tell that to all the victims of the atrocity in Manchester last week.

farnaby

In the week after 9/11 I took two packed intercontinental flights.

On the day of the 2005 London bombings I travelled to London and ate with family in a packed pub.

Life goes on. Don't give in to fear. More chance of being killed in a car crash. Etc. etc.

Erudite Caveman

The chances of you being accidentally killed or injured by a vehicle going to a football matches, theater, churches, discos, concerts, open-air markets, supermarkets are far higher than being killed by terrorists when you get there.

If you're going to fret, fret properly.

Zadig

Tell that to all the victims of the atrocity in Manchester last week.
How silly. Of course it's horrible for them and their families. No point in ruining the rest of the country over it. You should be more worried crossing the road than of getting killed by some pimply faced jihadi.

razorblade

How silly. Of course it's horrible for them and their families. No point in ruining the rest of the country over it. You should be more worried crossing the road than of getting killed by some pimply faced jihadi.
personally i'm more worried about being blown up by a jihadi than by being hit by a car.

Dadaist

Yes, there is an argument concerning us all getting on with our lives. I even made it myself above. There is also an argument about what needs to be done to protect against attacks. The two issues are not mutually exclusive. I don't find that a security pat down at a gig, or match, or having to take off my belt and shoes at an airport, in any way alters my 'way of life'.

razorblade

Which is an irrational fear.
Not really when you look what has been happening right across Europe, innocent people going about their business being blown up by these nutters, puts huge fear into me and the safety of my family, its a massive danger to the world.

TheWolf

I'll dial into the time machine.

Date: January 1st 1972.

Tighten your belts and let the good times roll!
It only took 3 posts.
That must be a new record....

Dadaist

Not really when you look what has been happening right across Europe, innocent people going about their business being blown up by these nutters, puts huge fear into me and the safety of my family, its a massive danger to the world.
No, it is an irrational fear. If it was a rational fear then you would be in more danger of being killed in a terror attack than you are from a car accident. You are not, not by million miles. Ergo the irrationality of your thinking.

Yes, there is an argument concerning us all getting on with our lives. I even made it myself above. There is also an argument about what needs to be done to protect against attacks. The two issues are not mutually exclusive. I don't find that a security pat down at a gig, or match, or having to take off my belt and shoes at an airport, in any way alters my 'way of life'.
You should see what loading everything in your suit pockets and yanking that belt through the loopholes does to a good suit. Oh the price I pay.

Sarcasm aside, all sort of events change our behaviors as we mitigate against newly perceived risks. Thus, as a toddler I bounced around unrestrained on the back seat of a car, while father drove through a fug of smoke, his teeth clenching a pipe, the tyres as bald as he'd eventually become, and the brakes nothing more than a memory belonging to the original owner of the car.

That's all changed, all changed utterly. Yet, we equip our cars, get them tested and maintain them. Hardly life changing.

I'm not being blase about the victims of terrorism; rather I'm being sanguine about the legacy of tragedy. We have no other choice. Else, our noses would never peek above the bedcovers.

And my suits are ruined.

razorblade

No, it is an irrational fear. If it was a rational fear then you would be in more danger of being killed in a terror attack than you are from a car accident. You are not, not by million miles. Ergo the irrationality of your thinking.
Well looking at the carnage in the UK, France, Sweden, Russia and Germany the last few years caused by Islamic terror suggests there's nothing irrational about it, it's a very rational fear.

New Threads

Most Replies