Limerick without a Minister

statsman

realistic1

With Michael Noonan's decision to leave cabinet when the new FG leader takes over, Limerick will be without a representative in cabinet for the first time in a long time. While the reality is that neither Noonan nor O'Dea before him have delivered much for the city and county, this may well make matters even worse. In particular, with Shane Ross casting doubt on the immediate viability of the Limerick - Cork motorway, will the lack of a voice at the table be significant?
Does it make a difference? Having a Minister during the Dell flight did not help matters.

statsman

Does it make a difference? Having a Minister during the Dell flight did not help matters.
That's the question. There is, however, a bit of a difference between trying to influence the actions of a multinational and trying to influence direct government capital spending.

Roberto Jordan

With Michael Noonan's decision to leave cabinet when the new FG leader takes over, Limerick will be without a representative in cabinet for the first time in a long time. While the reality is that neither Noonan nor O'Dea before him have delivered much for the city and county, this may well make matters even worse. In particular, with Shane Ross casting doubt on the immediate viability of the Limerick - Cork motorway, will the lack of a voice at the table be significant?
I truly cannot understand how the government can have any kind of national development strategy and not make connection of galway - limerick - cork by dual carriageway/ motorway part of this. Surely it is blindingly obvious that the three western/ sourthern cities offer a counterweight to the Greater Dublin area?

statsman

I truly cannot understand how the government can have any kind of national development strategy and not make connection of galway - limerick - cork by dual carriageway/ motorway part of this. Surely it is blindingly obvious that the three western/ sourthern cities offer a counterweight to the Greater Dublin area?
You'd almost think that there is no strategy. I find it almost unbelievable that I can drive from Annacotty to Dublin airport as quickly as I can to Cork airport.

SeanieFitz

I really hope that this plan comes to fruition. Brosnan was interviewed by Rachel English a few weeks back and I believe that his optimism for the future of Limerick will bear fruit. I hope so, I really like Limerick city

Denis Brosnan bullish on Limerick Twenty Thirty jobs - Limerick Leader

SeanieFitz

You'd almost think that there is no strategy. I find it almost unbelievable that I can drive from Annacotty to Dublin airport as quickly as I can to Cork airport.
the road network in Cork is awful, dreadful. Try driving from Cork to Killarney/Tralee. I reckon Cork CoCo, see their county as a state within a state and they make it as difficult as possible to either leave or enter their state!

locke

the road network in Cork is awful, dreadful. Try driving from Cork to Killarney/Tralee. I reckon Cork CoCo, see their county as a state within a state and they make it as difficult as possible to either leave or enter their state!
Sadly I think it comes down to who delivers what for their locality. Cork hasn't had a Minister for Transport since Peter Barry did the job for a couple of years in the 70s. Limerick and Kerry have never had a TD in the post. It shows.

And it's not even in the quality of the roads, but even the number of them. This is our National Road network.

statsman

razorblade

LV promised to prioritise the plan for the Limerick-Cork motorway if he becomes taoiseach, lets hope he is a man of his word, god knows its badly needed.

statsman

LV promised to prioritise the plan for the Limerick-Cork motorway if he becomes taoiseach, lets hope he is a man of his word, god knows its badly needed.
This is the sound of me not holding my breath.

eoghanacht

Not sure I like the idea that Limerick or anywhere else for that matter should have a Minister.

What start that craic and we'll have Junior Ministers for every god forsaken hole in the country.

stakerwallace

Shure , haven't we Frances Fitz, a Croom woman at the table:lol:

SeanieFitz

Sadly I think it comes down to who delivers what for their locality. Cork hasn't had a Minister for Transport since Peter Barry did the job for a couple of years in the 70s. Limerick and Kerry have never had a TD in the post. It shows.

And it's not even in the quality of the roads, but even the number of them. This is our National Road network.

Road from Tralee - Castelisland-Limerick co bounds is good, ditto road from Killarney to Cork co bounds. Generally roads are good(ish) in Kerry. Fine road to Kilgarvan for some strange reason

Roberto Jordan

Actually , jokes aside, my assumption on visits to Ireland in regard to black hole bwetween maillow and charleville on the cork limerick road ( not that stretches north and south of that aren't improbable also) is exactly that. See also the absence of efficient access to points to the western , eastern or southern sides of cork city once you do get there. If road was improved you would have more commuters , less people buying houses in cork .granted the patently obvious lack of regulations on building in county limerick on one off housing relative to cork is a counter argument! But that not with standing I would be suprised if folks in the county hall haven't factored this into their thinking . TBF ,despite the fact it is wrong header, They probably also looked at how limierock county council beggared their neighbors in the city for decades before amalgamation.

wombat

Seriously, why would you want to? would Shannon not be the better choice?

Orbit v2

I believe there is talk of the Limerick Cork motorway branching off the existing M8 near Cahir or Mitchelstown instead of a new route the whole way (parallel to M8). Some interests, presumably North Cork are dead against it, but it's supposed to save over 300 million, and calls into question what is it that people actually want?

Is it a motorway between the two cities or a motorway for Mallow etc? Time to make some hard decisions, and I can't believe this option wasn't considered before now.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies