Limit powers of Acting Governments

Dame_Enda

In 1989 the AG told Haughey he could continue as "Acting Taoiseach" despite losing his majority in the Dail but first he needed to tender his resignation to the President. In this context I mean "majority" in the sense of a working majority including the Tallaght Strategy.

After the 2016 election the Irish people faced the prospect of permanent government by the representatives of a defeated government representing 26% of the vote. Likewise in Spain, PM Aznars PP has remained in power despite losing its majority, and until a deal with the PSOE was reached after a year, ruled as an Acting government.

Does anyone have a problem with this system? I certainly do. It creates the possibility of permanent minority rule. Should the powers of transitional/Acting Governments be reduced? Perhaps during the term of a transitional govt give control of govt depts to Oireachtas Committees instead of Cabinet ministers? I recall a committee system of this kind was considered during the 1998 GFA negotiations at a time when the UUP was reluctant to sit in govt with SF.

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 48908

Are their powers not already limited, FT?

Isn't that what Mícheál Martin is for?

The watcher on the wall.

A REASON

Welcome Lena.

Come with a good thick hide and with plenty of defensive weaponry. There are plenty of good posters on this site, but also lots of trolls, and the moderation is appalling.

Don't be discouraged by my warning, it's meant well!

Enjoy!
Leave the young woman alone you creep.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies