link between Conservatives, homophobic attitudes, Protestant militias and illiberal policies

McSlaggart

"Tom Tugendhat, a Tory MP and former soldier who served in Iraq and Afghanistan, uses a piece in today’s Sunday Telegraph to raise his concerns.

He warns of the impact the Government’s apparent closeness with the DUP could have on peace in Northern Ireland, saying that often “perception can become reality”.

Mr Tugendhat says: “Is it worth it? Can an agreement creates the perception of a link between Conservatives, homophobic attitudes, Protestant militias and illiberal policies really yield the five years of stability our country so desperately needs?"

Theresa May cancels 2018 Queen

Dame_Enda

The Tories were a homophobic party before David Cameron.

GDPR

Well the Shinners could take their seats and put an end to the DUP's entry into serious politics. Having to deal with the situation might bring the DUP to cop themselves on.

McSlaggart

Well the Shinners could take their seats and put an end to the DUP's entry into serious politics. Having to deal with the situation might bring the DUP to cop themselves on.
Firstly :
They will not take the oath.

"I (name of Member) swear by Almighty God that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, her heirs and successors, according to law. So help me God."

Secondly:

Why not let the rest of the UK see who the DUP are?

GDPR

Firstly :

"I (name of Member) swear by Almighty God that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, her heirs and successors, according to law. So help me God."

Secondly:

Why not let the rest of the UK see who the DUP are?
That part of it I'm looking forward to- as I said I would like Gregory Campbell in charge of Culture, Sports and Media. However it is the Conservatives that I'm worried about and I know that the DUP won't mitigate their increasing social injustice in the UK with Arlene in charge but instead will go along with them totally if they get to really troll the CNR community in Northern Ireland.

Given that the Shinners now accept Northern Ireland being within the UK in the context of the GFA I don't see why they just cant take the oath.

McSlaggart

Given that the Shinners now accept Northern Ireland being within the UK in the context of the GFA I don't see why they just cant take the oath.
Would you swear this oath :

"Almighty God that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to gerry adams, his heirs and successors, according to law.

GDPR

Would you swear this oath :

"Almighty God that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to gerry adams, his heirs and successors, according to law.
Depends on the context.

One Labour MP takes the oath and adds at the end "and all who sail on here" because he is a hard line republican. Other Labour MPs have taken it while having their fingers crossed. Look the Shinners might look like a bastion of honesty compared to the DUP but objectively they are far from that. Would you consider Parnell not an Irish patriot?

McSlaggart

Depends on the context.

One Labour MP takes the oath and adds at the end "and all who sail on here" because he is a hard line republican. Other Labour MPs have taken it while having their fingers crossed. Look the Shinners might look like a bastion of honesty compared to the DUP but objectively they are far from that. Would you consider Parnell not an Irish patriot?
If the UK wants to treat everyone equally then their should be no oath to one Family.

GDPR

Wasnt that before the Brexit vote though?
Look a lot of unicorns are like Glenshane4 but morons like Cruimh believe just because a Catholic wants to remain in the UK that they are actually fond of the OO and have an understanding attitude towards the UVF.

hollandia

The reality:

19% want a United Ireland.

NI Life and Times Survey - 2016 : NIRELND2
Cruimh, are you being disingenuous again?

The figure is around 40%. Here's some actual analysis, when it it's put as a binary question.

A similar splintering effect was seen in a 2015 B&A poll question, in which devolution (51%) and direct rule (29%) were included as an option alongside Irish unity (16%). However, when respondents in this same B&A poll were further asked to make a simple binary choice between Irish unification or the union in the long-term, 41% chose a united Ireland.
https://sluggerotoole.com/2017/06/16/northern-ireland-life-and-times-survey-suggests-slight-increase-in-support-for-irish-unity-and-cross-community-support-for-abortion-reform/

The thing which is actually of real interest in that survey (which is in fact a year out of date....) is how conservative SF voters are regarding abortion - actually the most conservative of the main parties outside of the DUP.

vivabrigada

Depends on the context.

I could not take an oath of allegiance to a British monarch, it's more than a principal, the British monarchy aren't mine.

hollandia

No they can't. It's not mathematically possible, and would also put off other potential left/centre parts of the alliance in the same way an alliance with the DUP is causing disquiet for the tories. And they've ruled it out anyway.

GDPR

I could not take an oath of allegiance to a British monarch, it's more than a principal, the British monarchy aren't mine.
But the Mrs Windsor is the Head of the State you live in and I'm not saying that in a SOG way, it is simply a fact and if you want to really change facts you have to deal with them. A Corbyn Labour/Sinn Fein coalition would have the potential to greatly speed up the process of Northern Ireland merging with the ROI.

GDPR

No they can't. It's not mathematically possible, and would also put off other potential left/centre parts of the alliance in the same way an alliance with the DUP is causing disquiet for the tories. And they've ruled it out anyway.
Realistically the Shinners are just not scary anymore if looked at objectively by any standards. They have changed a lot since the Troubles. If people worried about them because of the Troubles looked at them seriously since than they would be okay with it. The SNP at the moment have decided that they hate the English more than they hate Irish Catholics so with them and the Shinners though I haven't checked the numbers Corbyn could form a government.

Niall996

Firstly :

Do atheist MP's have to take the oath?

former wesleyan

Fun times ahead. The DUP are like a barrow full of frogs.

hollandia

Do atheist MP's have to take the oath?
Yes, and MPs of non christian faiths. Since they are to a man, british, it's not much of a problem. There's also the fact that the likes of Skinner cross their fingers when taking the oath. Tune in Wednesday to see him heckle the queen's speech - now almost Westminster Tradition.

redneck

That part of it I'm looking forward to- as I said I would like Gregory Campbell in charge of Culture, Sports and Media. However it is the Conservatives that I'm worried about and I know that the DUP won't mitigate their increasing social injustice in the UK with Arlene in charge but instead will go along with them totally if they get to really troll the CNR community in Northern Ireland.

It would help matters if you stopped referring to Sinn Féin as "Shinners". Not a lot of respect from you and the DUP in my opinion.

New Threads

Most Replies