• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

linking articles might cost

D

Dylan2010

Its not April 1 I think, but hadnt heard of this one before. Reminds me of that grubby little outfit IMRO demanading money with menace from anyone who dares listen to the radio in public. I humbly apologise to the internet gods for linking below. On the upside another reason why the Irish media should die at the soonest

McGarr Solicitors – Dublin Solicitors Ireland | 2012: The year Irish newspapers tried to destroy the web - McGarr Solicitors - Dublin Solicitors Ireland

They were quite clear in their demands. They told Women’s Aid “a licence is required to link directly to an online article even without uploading any of the content directly onto your own website.”

Recap: The Newspapers’ agent demanded an annual payment from a women’s domestic violence charity because they said they owned copyright in a link to the newspapers’ public website.

This isn’t the case of a collection agent going rogue.

The National Newspapers of Ireland is the representative body for Irish Newspaper Publishers. The 15 member titles in the NNI are
•Irish Independent
Irish Examiner
The Irish Times
Irish Daily Star
Evening Herald
The Sunday Independent
Sunday World
The Sunday Business Post
Irish Mail on Sunday
Irish Farmers Journal
Irish Daily Mail
Irish Daily Mirror
Irish Sun
Irish Sunday Mirror
The Sunday Times
Irish Sun Sunday

In their submission to the Copyright Review Committee in July 2012 those 15 newspapers asserted baldly

“It is the view of NNI that a link to copyright material does constitute infringement of copyright”. (Section 7 National Newspapers of Ireland Further Submission to the Copyright Review Committee)

<Mod> This thread has been merged with "Copyright of Newspaper articles". </Mod>

Last edited by a moderator:

bob3367

Well it might just improve standard of posting on the site.

I

Ribeye

I saw this comedy on Twitter yesterday, I figured a thread would pop up,

What a joke, things must be even worse than we think with the ol cash flows,

I don't know if the papers are dead men walkin, it looks like it, but ye never know what'll happen,

I hope all the Irish ones die, glad to see them go,

Is this Simon McGarr that's highlighting this story?

He's the guy who shedded Sean Sherlock in the SOPA debate last year, right?

Ribster likes the cut of his jib:)

Ren84

Complete scum! Glad to see newspapers dying off.

EUrJokingMeRight

Bloody lobby groups turning the world into a kip.

Sync

Oh that doesn't really seem to stack up at all. A link to content external to a site is at worst a free advertisement for that external site. It's the digital equivalent of charging me for telling you that men's health in easons has an article on health food. You want me to say that. You want me to push business your way.

A: I can't see how a link could possibly be viewed as copyright.
B: I can't see how anyone could successfully argue for damages over me telling someone to go to someone elses website.

Ribeye

Tee hee:)

Google makes squillions every year by channeling eyeballs towards websites,

Yet, the twits in the Irish papers want to charge people for linking to their advert stocked websites,

What a bunch of braindead clowns,

What's next, should I be expecting a bill from Lidl for praising their yummy products on p.ie,

Oh no, sorry, that won't happen,

Coz Lidl know how to run a business:)

Ribeye

Oh oh paperboys,

When Sync & Ribeye agree, it's game over:)

Shop in Lidl:)

Lonewolfe

I saw this comedy on Twitter yesterday, I figured a thread would pop up,

What a joke, things must be even worse than we think with the ol cash flows,

I don't know if the papers are dead men walkin, it looks like it, but ye never know what'll happen,

I hope all the Irish ones die, glad to see them go,

Is this Simon McGarr that's highlighting this story?

He's the guy who shedded Sean Sherlock in the SOPA debate last year, right?

Ribster likes the cut of his jib:)
You can read David Adams in today's Times bemoaning the personal abuse and gutter "journalism" floating around on Twitter whilst praising Piers Morgan's grammar Nazism.
He goes on to reassure (himself) that once mainstream media uphold their standards and decency they'll survive.

I wonder, have I just breached copyright by merely referring ti that article?

Ribeye

You can read David Adams in today's Times bemoaning the personal abuse and gutter "journalism" floating around on Twitter whilst praising Piers Morgan's grammar Nazism.
He goes on to reassure (himself) that once mainstream media uphold their standards and decency they'll survive.

I wonder, have I just breached copyright by merely referring ti that article?
Where's the link Wolfy, ye cheapskate:):):)

Twitter is great as a news source,

Eg, in relation to the Savile investigation, 2 men were arrested yesterday, and another man who was arrested before Xmas is now on suicide watch at The Priory,

The media told me only that Jim Davidson was one of the men arrested,

It was only Twitter that told me the name of the other person arrested and who was in The Priory,

Now, I don't know if these men are guilty of anything, but I don't like being kept in the dark by the media,

Long live the Tweet Tweets:)

jmcc

Who is David Adams and why should anyone care?

With all the churnalism and self-indulgent windbaggery there isn't very much real journalism left in the Irish media.

Spanner Island

Tee hee:)

Google makes squillions every year by channeling eyeballs towards websites,

Yet, the twits in the Irish papers want to charge people for linking to their advert stocked websites,

What a bunch of braindead clowns,

What's next, should I be expecting a bill from Lidl for praising their yummy products on p.ie,

Oh no, sorry, that won't happen,

Coz Lidl know how to run a business:)
I get your point but it's not quite the same thing...

Steer enough people to a newspaper website and they might just start accessing their news there and stop buying the hard copy...

Steer people towards a Lidl shop and Lidl might sell them something...

The reason newspaper websites are going down the tubes is because there's too many of them and they're trying to compete with 'social media' when what they should be doing is their jobs - reporting news accurately and breaking real stories based on quality journalism.

Chasing vacuous rumours, gossip, scandal and whatever some gobsh!te might post on Twitter etc. is not their job.

And as for relishing the demise of the Irish media... I'd prefer if they went back to basics and engaged in quality journalism and quit lazily spinning the 'establishment' line and those of vested interests... although having said that, it may well be too late for the existing rags to do this...

Trainwreck

I wonder if they have thought about how much readership gets drawn to their sites from these links?

Ribeye

I get your point but it's not quite the same thing...

Steer enough people to a newspaper website and they might just start accessing their news there and stop buying the hard copy...

Steer people towards a Lidl shop and Lidl might sell them something...

The reason newspaper websites are going down the tubes is because there's too many of them and they're trying to compete with 'social media' when what they should be doing is their jobs - reporting news accurately and breaking real stories based on quality journalism.

Chasing vacuous rumours, gossip, scandal and whatever some gobsh!te might post on Twitter etc. is not their job.

And as for relishing the demise of the Irish media... I'd prefer if they went back to basics and engaged in quality journalism and quit lazily spinning the 'establishment' line and those of vested interests... although having said that, it may well be too late for the existing rags to do this...
If the papers are worried that people will go to the website instead of buying the rag itself, than they should close the site, or find a way to monitise it,

Either the site is public, or it's pay walled,

Choose public, and I'm free to link to it,

Choose pay wall, and, well, bye bye readers and advertisers,

Your choice losers:)

Trainwreck

I cannot see any conceivable scenario where this will work in favor of the newspapers. When the Belgian newspapers tried the same with Google (and won their case!) Google simply removed all traces of the newspapers from their search indexes, causing the newspapers web traffic to collapse.

Google News Removes Belgian Newspaper - Slashdot
Belgian Newspapers Delisted On Google - Slashdot
Once again proving that businessmen/women are generally pretty ignorant about economics.

Astral Peaks

Complete scum! Glad to see newspapers dying off.
Be careful what you wish for, I fear that the death of print journalism will not presage a rise in other forms of investigative media.

We will all become less well informed if a solution to the cost crisis in print media is not found.

Do you wish to rely on RTE for investigative journalism?

LamportsEdge

RTE would be no loss to the cause of investigative journalism. I haven't forgotten their habit of turning into Fianna Fail TV and I didn't appreciate their softly softly approach to a number of issues in Ireland or being lied to by a jesuit disguised as a civilian in their 'Religious Affairs' Dept either on the subject of the huge demand for bloody bells on national TV every evening.

I'm not impressed by Irish investigative journalism either within RTE or in print I have to say.

The other point I would like to make is whether newspapers in Ireland proposed to pay the contributors they simply take quotations from in their 'On the 'Net' features?

If they are proposing to charge for links should they not be discussing a proper pay scale also for those they choose to quote in print?

Howya

The print media are desperate to find new revenue sources - the UK Times seems to be the only media company to successfully have a pay wall (in the UK and Ireland). The media owners know that the future is online but can't find a way for it to pay a subscription.