Linking energy efficiency with renewable energy is a huge mistake which Germany realizes.

valamhic

Most responsible citizens of this world want a clean healthy diverse environment. They want to see the efficient use of
fossil fuel and only the minimum nuclear facilities needed for prosperity. The ocean plastic problem is beginning to get attention. Europe has a long way to go to make buildings (including homes) more energy efficient.

Unfortunately this drive is accompanied by a drive towards the installation of renewable energy. I have been warned by Petaljam not to create duplicate threads to ones I am banned from and they are mostly wind energy. I will try to avoid conflict with that warning by referring to all forms of renewable energy (except river hydro). None of them work and all are extremely damaging to the environment.

It is a huge mistake to bunch the laudable efforts at energy conservation with renewable energy. It is like saying bacteria are essential for life so we must not injure any bacteria. It is like saying music is good so all noise is good. Now a German government Minister Peter Altmaier has given his view and it seems to co-inside with mine. The targets were unrealistic and the public are beginning to grow tired of them and the fact they are not being met. The article speaks better than I can. Please read it and comment. If I don't post here you will know I am banned.
https://www.euractiv.com/section/energy/news/germany-pours-cold-water-on-eus-clean-energy-ambitions/

owedtojoy

Meh.

Matteradam.

Countries will make poor or bad policy decisions. Not even clear if Germany did make a bad decision.

That will not stop the Energy Revolution.

Wall Street Journal: Global Investment in Wind and Solar Energy Is Outshining Fossil Fuels: In 2016, about $297 billion was spent on renewables—compared with $143 billion on new nuclear, coal, gas and fuel-oil power plants

"Global spending on renewable energy is outpacing investment in electricity from coal, natural gas and nuclear power plants, driven by falling costs of producing wind and solar power."

valamhic

Meh.

Matteradam.

Countries will make poor or bad policy decisions. Not even clear if Germany did make a bad decision.

Wall Street Journal: Global Investment in Wind and Solar Energy Is Outshining Fossil Fuels: In 2016, about $297 billion was spent on renewables—compared with $143 billion on new nuclear, coal, gas and fuel-oil power plants

"Global spending on renewable energy is outpacing investment in electricity from coal, natural gas and nuclear power plants, driven by falling costs of producing wind and solar power."
I must refrain from commenting on the Irish Renewable financial situation for fear of being banned. However, in order to clarify. Many countries must import nearly all their fossil fuel so they make good examples. I know Ireland imports 6 billion euros annually. Can you show where Ireland spends 6 billion euros on renewable energy.

Can you give one country which spends more on renewables than it does importing fuel? I don't think there is any. I have doubts about the accuracy of your link

valamhic

Meh.

Matteradam.

Another point is that is we take the month of June this year, the renewables which have been invested in are providing no
power at all. How can it be claimed renewals are outpacing fuel. Remember about 4% of renewable percentages is river hydro. http://smartgriddashboard.eirgrid.com/#roi

paulp

I must refrain from commenting on the Irish Renewable financial situation for fear of being banned. However, in order to clarify. Many countries must import nearly all their fossil fuel so they make good examples. I know Ireland imports 6 billion euros annually. Can you show where Ireland spends 6 billion euros on renewable energy.

Can you give one country which spends more on renewables than it does importing fuel? I don't think there is any. I have doubts about the accuracy of your link
his post was on investment, ie. building new power plants, drilling new oil wells, installing new windmills.

CookieMonster

his post was on investment, ie. building new power plants, drilling new oil wells, installing new windmills.
Val doesn't do details.

CookieMonster

With the whole renewable energy idea in its infancy ,I would imagine that import is much greater than renewable across the board and it will be only through a gradual shift that there will be change.

https://www.statista.com/chart/4284/the-economies-most-dependent-on-oil/
Scotland is making huge inroads with renewable energy. Last year they met just over 68% of their energy needs from renewables, up just over 14% from the year previously.

Iceland and Norway are up there with similar amounts. The UK (including Scotland, so you cam imagine how low it would be without) and Ireland are at the bottom with just under 9%.

paulp

The wholesale cost of electricity in Ireland will increase by 11 per cent over the period 2016 to 2050 through the use of onshore wind technology, which Price Waterhouse Cooper (PwC) considers to be the most cost competitive low carbon technology.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/energy-and-resources/wholesale-cost-of-electricity-to-rise-by-11-in-coming-years-1.3093356
Nimbyism will stall on shore development (sometimes with genuine cause)
Off shore windfarm might just get going a lot quicker

valamhic

I asked this on another thread, but with no reply. So I want to try again here.

What would the wholesale cost of electricity from a solar farm in Ireland look like? How would it compare to the current wholesale electricity benchmark cost of some €50/MWHr?
I's not wind, so I will chance replying. The cost of any generating source to the consumer depends on the capacity of that source installed and the real use of it. Ballpark figures must be used for solar because there is little or none installed yet. If a facility does not make enough money annually to cover costs and re-pay capital loans it technically is insolvent and will fail. Government must therefore make sure that each form of generation receives enough money from consumers of electricity to remain a going concern. If a facility (like Hunstown) is forced to close, it is probably gone for ever.

This does not appear to be of any help. https://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy13osti/57582.pdf

Now estimate for Ireland. Take a 1,000 MW capacity ballpark. There is no sun light at night, say 50% leaving a potential capacity credit of 50% daytime. Solar differs from wind in that wind generates day and night. Cloud cover reduces sunshine obviously and rain probably makes it worse. I would estimate that daytime output would be in the order of 35% at best in Ireland. (35% of 50 = 17.5%)

So credit capacity for Irish Solar would be in the order of 17.5%. 8760 hours X 17% = 1533 MW per one MW so X 1,000 = 1,533,000. Say the Tariff is 72 euros (like wind) it equals = 110 million per year. From this on I am lost. How much would 1,000 mw cost to install and what are the operating costs? Can anyone put figures on this?

valamhic

Scotland is making huge inroads with renewable energy. Last year they met just over 68% of their energy needs from renewables, up just over 14% from the year previously.

Iceland and Norway are up there with similar amounts. The UK (including Scotland, so you cam imagine how low it would be without) and Ireland are at the bottom with just under 9%.
I have you caught on Iceland. I traveled through out Iceland last year on a visit. I did not see one industrial wind turbine or one solar farm. There are non. You are confusing geothermal generation with wind and solar. I was in a Geothermal power station there. So you need to get your facts right

valamhic

The wholesale cost of electricity in Ireland will increase by 11 per cent over the period 2016 to 2050 through the use of onshore wind technology, which Price Waterhouse Cooper (PwC) considers to be the most cost competitive low carbon technology.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/energy-and-resources/wholesale-cost-of-electricity-to-rise-by-11-in-coming-years-1.3093356
Much more than 11%. This company bought Active 8 solar outfit this year now they are increasing bills. https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/sse-airtricity-to-increase-electricity-and-gas-prices-from-next-month-36968537.html

valamhic

Val doesn't do details.
I am prohibited from talking about the economics of wind farms by administration. If I do i will be banned again and probably permanently next time. They don't appear to mind me commenting on other topics so i have to be careful. You can find all the details on my old thread "Is this the end of the Irish Wind Farm Racket".

recedite

CookieMonster

I have you caught on Iceland. I traveled through out Iceland last year on a visit. I did not see one industrial wind turbine or one solar farm. There are non. You are confusing geothermal generation with wind and solar. I was in a Geothermal power station there. So you need to get your facts right
Oh shut up.

CookieMonster

I am prohibited from talking about the economics of wind farms by administration. If I do i will be banned again and probably permanently next time. They don't appear to mind me commenting on other topics so i have to be careful. You can find all the details on my old thread "Is this the end of the Irish Wind Farm Racket".
You're not. You were chastised for spamming the site with your wild obsession about wind turbines, and rightly so.

Prohibited? Don't be such a drama queen.

Popular Threads

Most Replies