• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Linux Desktop Marketshare Just Passed 2 Percent

GDPR

I can't say I'm shocked.

If I knew WTF you were talking about I might be, but as it is...................

redacted

Are you just f***** with me now?

Ubuntu, is that not the tribe involved in Rorkes drift?
Ha! No I'm not!

And I've no idea about Rorkes drift but the name is South African in origin from what I know.

jmcc

Just be careful with the stats. ("This report was generated 06/30/2016 based on the past month's traffic to all websites that use W3Counter's free web stats.") Google Analytics and Statcounter might be more representative. However some sysadmins and others will be continually switching between Linux desktops and Windows desktops. There are some who apparently use Macs but we don't talk about them. :)

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Microsoft won the desktop OS wars, lost a lot of the server OS wars ...but totally missed the internet...and nearly missed the cloud, though their offering there proves respectable on functionality, if not cost

cYp

jmcc

Are you just f***** with me now?

Ubuntu, is that not the tribe involved in Rorkes drift?
"Ubuntu (/ʊˈbuːntʊ/ uu-BOON-tuu; Zulu pronunciation: [ùɓúntʼú])[1][2] is a Nguni Bantu term roughly translating to "human kindness."[dubious – discuss] It is an idea from the Southern African region which means literally "human-ness", and is often translated as "humanity towards others", but is often used in a more philosophical sense to mean "the belief in a universal bond of sharing that connects all humanity".[3]"

Though it does sound like some of the words I use when programs I am working on don't work as planned.

Morgellons

If I get a Word document or an Excel spreadsheet, can I work on them if I use Linux?

I like the idea of an OS that's not reporting my every move back to HQ, but is it useful in a world where most people use Windows?

redacted

Just be careful with the stats. ("This report was generated 06/30/2016 based on the past month's traffic to all websites that use W3Counter's free web stats.") Google Analytics and Statcounter might be more representative. However some sysadmins and others will be continually switching between Linux desktops and Windows desktops. There are some who apparently use Macs but we don't talk about them. :)
There's no need to be careful with the stats. Linux desktop was dead in the water a long time ago. The desktop itself isn't long for this world either.

jmcc

Microsoft won the desktop OS wars, lost a lot of the server OS wars ...but totally missed the internet...and nearly missed the cloud, though their offering there proves respectable on functionality, if not cost

cYp
Microsoft seems to be making a big play for some of that Linux market by including a Linux command line shell with Win 10. It is only command line but it solves a lot of problems and makes Windows a lot more usable in a networked environment. Windows beat Apple on the GUI though it wasn't as elegant as Apple's designs.

Carlos Danger

Website
www.youtube.com
I can't say I'm shocked.

If I knew WTF you were talking about I might be, but as it is...................
Sausages, tonic. More specifically, penguin sausages. If Cookiemonster were still with us he could explain the whole schmozzle.

redacted

If I get a Word document or an Excel spreadsheet, can I work on them if I use Linux?

I like the idea of an OS that's not reporting my every move back to HQ, but is it useful in a world where most people use Windows?
Yeah you can use several different Office type apps on linux or you could use Google docs. Works well but don't expect seamless compatibility with MS Office or the latest features.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies