Lisbon 2: One year on, how would you vote now?

Twin Towers

One year ago we voted "Yes for Jobs" and since then 120 workers a day have been added to the dole queue. We were sold a great political lie and the leverage we had at the time was flushed down the crapper.

Would Yes voters still vote Yes today?

A poll would be useful but none is being offered on the submit page.

PrinceMax

You're assuming that just because 120 workers were added to the dole queues a day, that it would have been better without voting yes.

Might be tougher to go begging to the EU for money without having voted yes.

I would have voted yes again, because the Irish government needs someone to keep an eye on it. The more powers we give to Brussels, the better.

realistic1

One year ago we voted "Yes for Jobs" and since then 120 workers a day have been added to the dole queue. We were sold a great political lie and the leverage we had at the time was flushed down the crapper.

Would Yes voters still vote Yes today?

A poll would be useful but none is being offered on the submit page.
I can recall Fine Gael with the slogan 'Yes to Lisbon = Yes to jobs' Was it jobs for politicians in Europe they were on about? I thought it was jobs for the unemployed? I am confussed

Twin Towers

I can recall Fine Gael with the slogan 'Yes to Lisbon = Yes to jobs' Was it jobs for politicians in Europe they were on about? I thought it was jobs for the unemployed? I am confussed
They all sold us the same lie.

PrinceMax

You're assuming that jobs weren't saved because we signed up to Lisbon. We're at around 14% unemployment now. Who's to say this wouldn't be 16 or 17% if we'd not voted for Lisbon?

firefly123

Wouldnt we look good when we go cap in hand to europe when the NPRF runs out next year. Thats whats going to happen. I am happy to be a good little european because from what I see we are incapable of managing ourselves. We are run by used car salesmen and gombeen dynasties. At least Hans and Franc will treat everyone equally.

sondagefaux

You're assuming that jobs weren't saved because we signed up to Lisbon. We're at around 14% unemployment now. Who's to say this wouldn't be 16 or 17% if we'd not voted for Lisbon?
If it wasn't for ECB support for Irish bonds, the rate we're paying would be even higher than it is now, which would result in even worse cut backs and less jobs.

Meanwhile, regarding 'No' side claims, one year on we're still waiting for the appearance of legalised abortion and euthanasia, an EU army and the reduction of the minimum wage to €1.84, amongst other things.

Hans and Franc treat all equally - as long as your not too much of a problem. Look at the Romanies in France! Economically the least of Frances problems and crime wise too to spite all the shouts - but it looks good!

The ones who'll be on for fecking us out of Europe will be France (maybe not Germany) if we get too bad.

Remember the dark mutterings about Italy some ten years ago?

I voted no... twice. And would do so again.

Here is the facts... we still have over 500,000 EU workers in the Irish workforce... and we have 450,000 on the dole, 25% of them from EU. No EU: no EU workers... every Irishman has a job, and we are as solid as Canada.

Make no mistake about it, for our size the bank guarantee we offered which is recognised as solid the world over shows economic balls beyond our resources.

Pity they cant find the same money at the drop of a hat for hospitals, schools, welfare, etc.

While they give dole to the banks, we should not stand for a penny been taken off dole for the people, whether Irish or not.

The work for dole is a good idea, and of the foreignors Im freinds with, they have no problem with it. It was common in the East Bloc before capitalism and its empty promises seduced them and brought all the problems we have today to the whole world.

realistic1

If it wasn't for ECB support for Irish bonds, the rate we're paying would be even higher than it is now, which would result in even worse cut backs and less jobs.

Meanwhile, regarding 'No' side claims, one year on we're still waiting for the appearance of legalised abortion and euthanasia, an EU army and the reduction of the minimum wage to €1.84, amongst other things.
I think you will have to wait a bit longer for the abortion and EU army, but you will see the minimum wage hit shortly.

firefly123

You dont get it. The reason jobs and investment did not come in to ireland is because of our own home grown leaders. The reason 500k EU workers are here (which I doubt) is because the irish workers refused to do the work initially. Me work in McDonalds Phhhh!!!
So in comes Vladamir with his college education and still he happily takes the job. We Irish used to do the same wherever we went. We took the menial jobs made them our own, then made sure the next generation went on to become lawyers and captains of industry. I dont blame anyone coming over here and taking jobs that many irish said were not good enough for them.
Also being part of the EU means Irish people can go and work all over europe which they do. Now if someone comes in as a dole scrounger then by all means ************************ them out. Just like any irish who go to the UK or europe to scrounge. Simples

ivnryn

Here is the facts... we still have over 500,000 EU workers in the Irish workforce... and we have 450,000 on the dole, 25% of them from EU. No EU: no EU workers... every Irishman has a job, and we are as solid as Canada.
If you drop the population by 500k, then there will be fewer jobs in the country, as those people won't be taking part in the economy.

sondagefaux

I think you will have to wait a bit longer for the abortion and EU army, but you will see the minimum wage hit shortly.
If that happens, what will it have to do with the Treaty of Lisbon? Which part of that treaty will be used to change the Irish minimum wage?

New Threads

Most Replies