Lisbon 3 is coming: Sarkozy and Merkel agree treaty changes

gijoe

Here we go again. Sarkozy and Merkel have agreed treaty changes, including automatic sanctions for failing to meet deficit targets etc. It looks as if the referendum will have to take place prior to 2012.

You have to wonder did they give two seconds thought that the one country that has to ratify these changes by referendum will be the long odds on favourite to be the first defaulter! I can see a breaking of the political consensus in Ireland on Europe in this referendum. For example, I cannot see the Unions going along with it. This is going to make politics in the next of couple of years extra spicy.

Sarkozy backs Merkel on economic reform - The Irish Times - Tue, Oct 19, 2010

BrendanGalway

Two Words : Article 48. The "Self-amending" clause. It generated a lot of debate during Lisbon 1 & 2. I suppose we get to see if it is that.

Ah Well

Here we go again. Sarkozy and Merkel have agreed treaty changes, including automatic sanctions for failing to meet deficit targets etc. It looks as if the referendum will have to take place prior to 2012.

You have to wonder did they give two seconds thought that the one country that has to ratify these changes by referendum will be the long odds on favourite to be the first defaulter! I can see a breaking of the political consensus in Ireland on Europe in this referendum. For example, I cannot see the Unions going along with it. This is going to make politics in the next of couple of years extra spicy.

Sarkozy backs Merkel on economic reform - The Irish Times - Tue, Oct 19, 2010
Yes to Jobs
Yes to Europe
Yes to Lisbon MkIII (if applicable)

:rolleyes:

hiding behind a poster

Two Words : Article 48. The "Self-amending" clause. It generated a lot of debate during Lisbon 1 & 2. I suppose we get to see if it is that.
Do you know what Article 48 says?

deiseguy

That dog ain't gonna hunt..... Unless he can be tempted out of his kennel with around €120 billion of ECB cash for 30 year bonds with a 0.5% vig, then maybe.

gijoe

Mr Sarkozy and Dr Merkel said it would be necessary to revise the Lisbon Treaty before 2013 in order to allow for a “permanent and robust mechanism” to punish states for excessive deficits.

Sanctions for serious breaches could include the suspension of a member’s voting rights, something requiring treaty change.

The necessary amendment to the treaties should be adopted and ratified by member states in accordance with their respective constitutional requirements in due time before 2013,” they said.

hiding behind a poster

Interesting bit at the end, before everyone here hyperventilates too much:

Sanctions for serious breaches could include the suspension of a member’s voting rights, something requiring treaty change.
“The necessary amendment to the treaties should be adopted and ratified by member states in accordance with their respective constitutional requirements in due time before 2013,” they said.
The other interesting thing is that had such rules been in place since the early days of the Euro, we wouldn't be in half the mess we're now in.

Cael

The Fourth Reich is tightening its grip on the throats of the formerly free nations of Europe.

Cael

Please let this be true. PLEASE. Just to see the Yes side squirm.
You are making the mistake, a chara, of thinking that Yesmen have any shame.

seabhcan

That's much clearer now:confused:
Its simple enough - basically if all member states agree, the procedures of the EU can be changed without a new treaty so long as the changes don't give new powers to the EU. Whether Ireland's agreement needs a referendum here is a question of Irish law.

We currently do not need to have a referendum unless new powers are being given to the EU.

gijoe

We currently do not need to have a referendum unless new powers are being given to the EU.
Not correct. One of the measures is the suspension of voting rights. Ireland cannot hand over that sovereignty without a referendum under Crotty.

kerdasi amaq

This country has no future if The People would vote YES to that.

The politicians should be nutted.

hiding behind a poster

Does anyone know what it says? I had a read last year, its hateful. Nevertheless, there was a train of thought that it could be used to get around future Referenda. Looks like a test of that assertion is looming.
Its for us to decide whether we need or want a referendum, though - no-one else.

New Threads

Most Replies