Literacy rates in the 26 counties.

SevenStars

A survey done by in 1997 showed that 25 per cent of population had problems with basic literacy meaning that they had difficulty reading instructions on packages, time tables, etc and that a further 30 per cent of the population had literacy problems which involved reading newspapers, books, etc. Doubtless the situation is getting worse.Adult literacy classes mainly run by volunteers are common through out the country which paints a very different picture of our education than that painted by Lazarus. The problem is especially acute among women....Who are generally ignored by teachers as they tend to be quieter than boys. Ireland has the highest rate of people attending fee paying schools in the EU because you if have the money not to send your kids to one shows a lack of love for them.

Yet our state claims that we have 99 per cent literacy and a grand education system....Why do we deceive ourselves so much?

Red_93

A survey done by in 1997 showed that 25 per cent of population had problems with basic literacy meaning that they had difficulty reading instructions on packages, time tables, etc and that a further 30 per cent of the population had literacy problems which involved reading newspapers, books, etc. Doubtless the situation is getting worse.Adult literacy classes mainly run by volunteers are common through out the country which paints a very different picture of our education than that painted by Lazarus. The problem is especially acute among women....Who are generally ignored by teachers as they tend to be quieter than boys. Ireland has the highest rate of people attending fee paying schools in the EU because you if have the money not to send your kids to one shows a lack of love for them.

Yet our state claims that we have 99 per cent literacy and a grand education system....Why do we deceive ourselves so much?
What picture did Laz paint, and I'd have thought the problem would be greater among men given that males are less likely to stay in education and are often more likely to mess.

SevenStars

What picture did Laz paint, and I'd have thought the problem would be greater among men given that males are less likely to stay in education and are often more likely to mess.
That the Irish read more than everyone and sure isnt our education system....And no it seems to be primarily among females and this would also seem to flow of a deliberate policy to neglect or sabotage the education of girls from lower socio-economic groups knowing that if you have broken the women the men are yours.

absconded

I'm guessing the problem is not literacy or even numeracy because you certainly can spell & count (all the way to 26).
Your problem might be geography. It's called the Republic of Ireland (or Eire if you prefer).

SevenStars

I'm guessing the problem is not literacy or even numeracy because you certainly can spell & count (all the way to 26).
Your problem might be geography. It's called the Republic of Ireland (or Eire if you prefer).
The Vicheyesque regime in the 26 counties not under military occupation by the UK state was founded on the suppression of the Republic of Ireland declared in 1916 and ratified by the First Dail, therefore to refer to it such is the urinate on the graves of so many brave women and men. This I will not do.

Next....

absconded

The Vicheyesque regime in the 26 counties not under military occupation by the UK state was founded on the suppression of the Republic of Ireland declared in 1916 and ratified by the First Dail, therefore to refer to it such is the urinate on the graves of so many brave women and men. This I will not do.

Next....

Yes, I think you could probably do with History classes too:lol:

b.a. baracus

Next....
It's like an Eminem rap battle gone wrong. Log off and chill out - you are way too hyped.

SevenStars

This is a serious issue....And I notice its just been trolled...(accept maybe for Red_93's comment).

People in Ireland waffle on about the value of education....But honestly on this board only Cato and Scipio who dont necessarily agree with a lot of time show real signs of having been educated.

captainwillard

This is a serious issue....And I notice its just been trolled...(accept maybe for Red_93's comment).

People in Ireland waffle on about the value of education....But honestly on this board only Cato and Scipio who dont necessarily agree with a lot of time show real signs of having been educated.
You in their fan clubs then? I loathe sycophants, especially on p.ie. Are you either Cato or Scipio by another name or indeed both?

SevenStars

You in their fan clubs then? I loathe sycophants, especially on p.ie. Are you either Cato or Scipio by another name or indeed both?
Oh wow....I dont agree with them about a lot. I didnt say anything about being a fan of either....Just pointing out a reality.

Im talking about people showing evidence of having received a proper education....Can you not admit that that is sorely lacking on P.ie?

Roll_On

you're talking about a survey that was done in 1997. There are still living people in Ireland that remember a time before free education. More than half the schools in the Republic are single sex and more than half of them are catholic run schools.

I went to a catholic boys school in the Republic, my sister went to a catholic girls school. We learned maths, science, music, swimming, sports, Irish, English. My sister learned knitting and how to wear her skirt appropriately such is the catholic opinion of women.

Her class trip was usually to Wicklow, although one time they got the chance to fly to shannon airport (wow).
My class trips were to: Barcelona, The Netherlands, Paris, etc.

splashy

Oh wow....I dont agree with them about a lot. I didnt say anything about being a fan of either....Just pointing out a reality.

Im talking about people showing evidence of having received a proper education....Can you not admit that that is sorely lacking on P.ie?
What evidence are you looking for? Basic literacy seems to be universal around here.

SevenStars

What evidence are you looking for? Basic literacy seems to be universal around here.
Basic literacy yes....But ability to use logic, to place things within context and to penetrate beyond the surface to the essence of a problem are all sadly lacking.

Canon

I would have thought that using a computer, analyzing comments, typing in intelligent well informed and positive replies would qualify more as evidence of education than looking down on others who are posting replies. This is not even to mention showing the civic spirit to care enough to engage in discussion when we could be all gaming.

captainwillard

Basic literacy yes....But ability to use logic, to place things within context and to penetrate beyond the surface to the essence of a problem are all sadly lacking.
Are you Scipio or Cato? Do you use multiple identities on p.ie? Why do you expressly state that they are the only two worthy of merit?

SevenStars

you're talking about a survey that was done in 1997. There are still living people in Ireland that remember a time before free education. More than half the schools in the Republic are single sex and more than half of them are catholic run schools.
Yes I am aware that the survey is from 1997....But those who I have talked to involved in adult literacy classes tell me that situation is if anything getting worse...A frightening percentage of the population has difficulty reading instructions on packages or even The Evening Herald. Yet the Leinster house regime comes out with figures of 99 per cent literacy...:rolleyes:

I know that in the case of my flat mate's son neither him or his classmates are being properly educated at school and at least 50 per cent of his education is basically done by me and her (which is the reason that unlike the rest of them he has a good probability in doing well in his junior cert). I know that I can read well because my dad basically forced literacy into me on weekends so that I could read the Bible. However a lot of girls I went to school with have majior problems in this area.

SevenStars

I would have thought that using a computer, analyzing comments, typing in intelligent well informed and positive replies would qualify more as evidence of education than looking down on others who are posting replies. This is not even to mention showing the civic spirit to care enough to engage in discussion when we could be all gaming.
I dont understand what the word positive is supposed to mean there....But outside of a handful of posters intelligent and well informed are not words that come to mind of this forum.

Civic spirit?

:rolleyes:

SideysGhost

Ah, now we get to the meat of it!

There used to be a huge problem alright with basic literacy/numeracy amongst adults, especially the elderly. I'm not sure if there are any more up-to-date surveys on the issue that the 1997 one. You would still have huge numbers of middle-aged and older people who left school at a very young age to work, or who received no free schooling at all back before the free education of the 1960s. Which really isn't very long ago at all

But the real problem IMO is that the eduation system really doesn't teach people to think, to analyse an issue, to weigh up the pros and cons, to look behind the curtain to see if a claim has evidence to back it up, to come to a considered rational logical judgement.

The education system in Ireland mainly teaches two things: how to Respect Authority And Obey Your Betters; and how to Repeat After Me, learn by rote, regurgitate on demand and say and think exactly what Authority wants to hear you say and think (or write, in the exams).

And this is really a root cause of all our present difficulties. The property bubble and crash, the broken electoral and political system, the lack of protest, the general state of the place - the Murder Machine has a lot to answer for.

SevenStars

Are you Scipio or Cato? Do you use multiple identities on p.ie? Why do you expressly state that they are the only two worthy of merit?
No they arent the only two worthy of merit....Next....

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies