• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Literary heritage of Ulster

Gurdiev

BBC Radio 4 Extra - Brian Friel Stories, The Gold in the Sea
BBC radio 4 has been running a fabulous rees of Brian Friel plays and stories.
Heres a link to a poignant story .Theyre not going to be available on the bbC website for much longer so give yourself a st Patrick's day treat and have a listen to some of it .

Do they put something in the water in Donegal andcTyrone to produce literary giants like Friel , Heaney , Mcguinness.

runwiththewind

I don't think either Friel or Heaney would consider themselves from "Ulster", McGuinness on the other hand, is an academic historian. Not sure he falls into the literary genre.

No, Ulster has not produced the literary writers that the Rep has. "Ulster" has not produced a Beckett, O'Casey or Joyce.

Those writing today, James Patterson is no Joseph O'Connor.

Gurdiev

I don't think either Friel or Heaney would consider themselves from "Ulster", McGuinness on the other hand, is an academic historian. Not sure he falls into the literary genre.

No, Ulster has not produced the literary writers that the Rep has. "Ulster" has not produced a Beckett, O'Casey or Joyce.

Those writing today, James Patterson is no Joseph O'Connor.[/QUOTE

friel , born in Tyrone ! Schooled in Derry ; Heaney , born in Antrim, schooled in Derry ; Mcguinness born Donegal .....how could they not consider themselves of 'Ulster '
mcguinness is a magical playwright.

RedCloud

Slim Fat Coogan.....let's not forget about her !! :)

Gurdiev

friel , born in Tyrone ! Schooled in Derry ; Heaney , born in Antrim, schooled in Derry ; Mcguinness born Donegal .....how could they not consider themselves of 'Ulster '
mcguinness is a magical playwright.

J

Johnny Boy

Friel, Heaney and McGuinness would consider themselves as both Irish, and from Ulster in a broader sense, I'm pretty sure.
As for Patterson, don't you mean Glenn rather than James? James is an American thriller writer. O'Connor, Patterson, Friel, Heaney and Friel are all members of Aosdána along with McGuinness. All five are considered to be writers. Just because McGuinness is also a full-time academic doesn't disqualify him any more than Heaney who was also employed full time in the same way.
I'm not sure that O'Connor is any more talented than Patterson, btw. O'Connor is too smug for his own good.

runwiththewind

Friel, Heaney and McGuinness would consider themselves as both Irish, and from Ulster in a broader sense, I'm pretty sure.
As for Patterson, don't you mean Glenn rather than James? James is an American thriller writer. O'Connor, Patterson, Friel, Heaney and Friel are all members of Aosdána along with McGuinness. All five are considered to be writers. Just because McGuinness is also a full-time academic doesn't disqualify him any more than Heaney who was also employed full time in the same way.
I'm not sure that O'Connor is any more talented than Patterson, btw. O'Connor is too smug for his own good.
O'Connor is one of the best writers in the English language. Glen Patterson is not. There is no comparison between O'Connor's "The Sea" and Patterson's "The Mill for Grinding Old People Young". O' Connor's is a classic, Patterson's is readable, just.

Not sure Friel or Heaney consider themselves "Ulster" in the hijacked political sense. Both considered themselves just Irish.

J

Johnny Boy

Do they put something in the water in Donegal andcTyrone to produce literary giants like Friel , Heaney , Mcguinness.
All three have links to Derry city. Friel lived and worked there, alongside Stephen Rea in the Field Day Theatre Co. in the 70's and 80's (possibly still does), and the latter two went to St. Columb's College.:)

J

Johnny Boy

O'Connor is one of the best writers in the English language. Glen Patterson is not. There is no comparison between O'Connor's "The Sea" and Patterson's "The Mill for Grinding Old People Young". O' Connor's is a classic, Patterson's is readable, just.
Star of the Sea surely? John Banville wrote The Sea.
One of the best in the English language - hyperbole beyond belief!

Not sure Friel or Heaney consider themselves "Ulster" in the hijacked political sense. Both considered themselves just Irish.
How could you possibly know what they think? The reality is that it is the norm to see one's identity as both. Even in sport, in the GAA for example, if an Ulster team is playing in an All Ireland Final, all Ulstermen apart from a few begrudgers will weigh in behind the Ulster team.

runwiththewind

Star of the Sea surely? John Banville wrote The Sea.
One of the best in the English language - hyperbole beyond belief!

How could you possibly know what they think? The reality is that it is the norm to see one's identity as both. Even in sport, in the GAA for example, if an Ulster team is playing in an All Ireland Final, all Ulstermen apart from a few begrudgers will weigh in behind the Ulster team.
Sweet jesus, have I hurt your "Ulster" pride or what? Get over yourself.

If you back a team simply because they are from "Ulster" that's tribalism, pure and simple. The rest of us tend to back the underdog. But that's just us.

runwiththewind

J

Johnny Boy

Sweet jesus, have I hurt your "Ulster" pride or what? Get over yourself.

If you back a team simply because they are from "Ulster" that's tribalism, pure and simple. The rest of us tend to back the underdog. But that's just us.
Oops! Only pointing out some literary facts and a few other realities to you - no need to lose the hair! But when you start pontificating about a subject in such a strident fashion, you really should get the basic facts right.

runwiththewind

Oops! Only pointing out some literary facts and a few other realities to you - no need to lose the hair! But when you start pontificating about a subject in such a strident fashion, you really should get the basic facts right.
On this mythical "Ulster" identity. ;)

J

Johnny Boy

On this mythical "Ulster" identity. ;)
Oh, a bit more than that.
Anyone who confuses Glenn Patterson with his American namesake James, or John Banville with Joseph O'Connor...................or actually claims that the latter is world-class writer, needs to pull his horns in.:)

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies