Littering in Ireland

Ruff says Flaherty

Tullamore tops rankings of Ireland's cleanest towns · TheJournal.ie

I live in Dublin city(originally from down the country) for the last 5 years. I have to say some of the littering I see up here is an absolute disgrace. I have lived in Dublin 7, 8 and 12 and they all have their own various issues. Most revolve around youngsters loitering around shops and chippers just throwing stuff on the ground, but then you have people who throw black bags around various places in the city. The amount of times I have seen black bags int he canal is crazy. I find this repulsive, I don't know who or why people would do this.

Is it a lack of education? Lack of pride in ones area? The attitude that it is someone elses problem? Or is it just that some city people are so out of touch with nature and the environment that they think it is ok to just dump rubbish anywhere without consequence?

What can be done to combat this?

Congalltee

Renationalise the refuse industry.
Educate on green bins.
Prosecute and name and shame dumpers and literers.

blokesbloke

I really don't know. I despise littering and I despise the people who do it. Education campaigns don't seem to have worked.

I don't understand why people do it but I do feel that there needs to be enforcement action, and a lot of it.

People need to be made an example of.

Erudite Caveman

Or is it just that some city people are so out of touch with nature and the environment that they think it is ok to just dump rubbish anywhere without consequence?
Yes.

But it isn't just city people. Look at the state of rural Ireland. Small farms looking like complete kips, with dilapidation of walls, wrecks discarded in fields and fly tipping.

We have a weak civic structure, and you'll find that most people here will actually defend it when pressed. Can't be having rules for us all to live by, you know. That's oppression, and usually oppression of the poor apparently.

Erudite Caveman

And don't get me started on dogsh1t.

Dog owners will give you the travellers speil - vast majority clean up after their dogs, and the actions of a very small minority give the rest a bad name. Bollicks. If you see someone with a dog, who isn't male, and isn't under 40, then their dog sh1t is almost certainly on the sole of your shoes. At least in 40 years time death will have worked it's wonders and improved the situation somewhat.

Punishment for anyone who doesn't pick up after their dog should be a visit from a non-dog owner, to take a morning dump on their doorstep.

blokesbloke

And don't get me started on dogsh1t.

Dog owners will give you the travellers speil - vast majority clean up after their dogs, and the actions of a very small minority give the rest a bad name. Bollicks. If you see someone with a dog, who isn't male, and isn't under 40, then their dog sh1t is almost certainly on the sole of your shoes. At least in 40 years time death will have worked it's wonders and improved the situation somewhat.

Punishment for anyone who doesn't pick up after their dog should be a visit from a non-dog owner, to take a morning dump on their doorstep.
So you're saying that females over 40 years old are the only dog owners who fail to clean up their dog poop?

On what are you basing this?

hammer

It is in some peoples DNAs unfortunately to litter.

"Sure aren`t people paid to clean up"

How come smokers think it is perfectly legitimate to throw their horrible disgusting butts on the road / path ?

hammer

Why are those in poorer areas more likely to litter ?

It makes the area even more depressing if covered in litter.

Mushroom

Why are those in poorer areas more likely to litter ? It makes the area even more depressing if covered in litter.
Because - as they'll tell you if challenged - every piece of litter that they drop represents an employment opportunity for someone else.

"Duh, if everyone stopped dropping litter, the all those street cleaners would lose their jobs." I describe it as the Club Retard mindset - prominent SP poster and underqualified educator of our young people Making Wind would probably agree.

gleeful

People are disgusting. I've seen people just fling their empty drinks bottles in the park near my house.

I propose a solution - snipers. A few headshots, followed by the public flaying of their corpses would sort it out.

Ruff says Flaherty

Why are those in poorer areas more likely to litter ?

It makes the area even more depressing if covered in litter.
Is it because when you get a house and handouts for nothing, you are less likely to have pride in and appreciate what you have?

Ruff says Flaherty

No bulls*****g I once saw a black bag with a dogs leg sticking out of it in the canal. Incredible.

Littering is a disgusting habit carried out by uneducated disgusting people. Do some parents not tell their children not to drop litter?

gleeful

No bulls*****g I once saw a black bag with a dogs leg sticking out of it in the canal. Incredible.

Littering is a disgusting habit carried out by uneducated disgusting people. Do some parents not tell their children not to drop litter?
Part of the problem is there is nearly zero enforcement. Only 700 fines are issued in Dublin per year, and only 30% of them are ever actually paid.

che schifo

No bulls*****g i once saw a black bag with a dogs leg sticking out of it in the canal. Incredible.

A lack of self respect and respect for others. I'm staying not far from jobstown at the moment and that area is an absolute kip. Not just general litter but household waste strewn across green areas. The back of the housing estates near cheeverstown look like early stage landfill sites. I guess these are deprived areas but no need to be deprived of self respect and respect for one's neighbours.

gleeful

Who enforces this?
Nobody. Thats the problem.

Even for major illegal dumping cases conviction rates are so low that you can basically dump whatever you like, whereever.

I was at a DCC meeting recently and they said that their conviction rates are dreadful. Of 2000 recorded illegal dumpings, about 20 resulted in conviction.

DCC have cases where they have video of the person leaving their home with rubbish and dumping it, and returning to their home - all on camera. Courts didn't convict.

DCC tried putting photos of the dumpers on a poster to shame them - courts told them to take it down. Data protection, apparently.

So in Ireland, if you want to dump rubbish illegally, the courts are on your side.

Last edited:

Ruff says Flaherty

Nobody. Thats the problem.

Even for major illegal dumping cases conviction rates are so low that you can basically dump whatever you like, whereever.

I was at a DCC meeting recently and they said that their conviction rates are dreadful. Of 2000 recorded illegal dumpings, about 20 resulted in conviction.
Ya, fair enough but me and you know it isn't being enforced, yet we don't do it.

There is an issue at play here where people don't have pride in their areas or don't understand the damage littering does.

Honestly, the canal area between Portobello and Dolphins barn is an absolute disgrace. Simply put cameras there and catch those responsible.

Interesting though from Portobello on towards Dublin 4 the canal gets noticeably cleaner and more rubbish free. Is this because there are more resources put into cleaning it or is it because the locals are more responsible?

gleeful

Ya, fair enough but me and you know it isn't being enforced, yet we don't do it.

There is an issue at play here where people don't have pride in their areas or don't understand the damage littering does.

Honestly, the canal area between Portobello and Dolphins barn is an absolute disgrace. Simply put cameras there and catch those responsible.

Interesting though from Portobello on towards Dublin 4 the canal gets noticeably cleaner and more rubbish free. Is this because there are more resources put into cleaning it or is it because the locals are more responsible?
There are cameras. The courts refuse to convict on the basis of video evidence. The issue is that, to the mind of the court, dumpers caught on camera aren't sufficiently identifiable.

Its complete nonsense, because the courts happily accept video evidence in other types of cases - murder cases for example.

Courts have convicted when the person's car reg has been captured - so people just park around the corner and walk with the bags. They know where the cameras are - the law says the cameras must be clearly marked.

che schifo

I lived for a while near Portobello and the canal the morning after a sunny day was a tip of empty beer cans, bottles and food wrappers from hipsters, students and scumbags knacker drinking by the canal. A shame as it's a nice looking area by the canal but ruined by people.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies