• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Little media coverage of case against the government

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
Unlawful spend on children

Given the government's daily debacle on he economy or abortion, this story has gained little attention. Waters has a great point. The government spent money illegally and given the small margin at the end it isn't difficult to say that the illegally bought the electorate's vote. It would be a great day for our democracy if Waters forces a re-vote.

ger12

Not often I'd agree with him. It was a shameful breach of the McKenna judgement. I wouldn't hold my breath though. The dust has settled now.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Waters is a crackpot and it is a pity the IT give him a platform as there are plenty coherent and intelligent conservatives out there.

In this incidence whilst the govt was very wrong, it is silly to claim with certainty that this spend decided the vote

drummed

Truth is next to nobody cares folks.

EUrJokingMeRight

The government and media do not respect our democracy. They consider voting as your opportunity to agree with their position, nothing more. If you dont agree you'll be given as many opportunities as possible to get it right. That is not democracy, that is coercion(The threat of further harm may lead to the cooperation or obedience of the person being coerced).

Would saying 'If you vote no, There'll be no money in the ATMs and there'll be chaos and you'll starve etc etc' be considered coercion?

I think so.

eoghanacht

I find that taking a stance thats the polar opposite to the wafler waters's own position suits me well.

I'm not clicking on the link as undoubtedly there's a picture of the twat trying to look christ like.

callas

Given the government's daily debacle on he economy or abortion, this story has gained little attention. Waters has a great point. The government spent money illegally and given the small margin at the end it isn't difficult to say that the illegally bought the electorate's vote. It would be a great day for our democracy if Waters forces a re-vote.
Yes , john.

drummed

Isn't that a sad indictment of the Irish public that a government can illegally take and spend our money in order to buy our votes?
Not really if its something virtually nobody cares about anyway.

People have real lives in the real world.

turdsl

Isn't that a sad indictment of the Irish public that a government can illegally take and spend our money in order to buy our votes?
It was very wrong and an attack on the democratic process to influence the result of a referendum.The Supreme court
found the spending was unfair. not equal or impartial, Mr Shatter was asked twice on radio and TV to apologize to the Irish people, His arrogance persisted and he did not do so.

Mountaintop

It's a hard line for any government to walk...

We don't want a scenario where every referendum is won by the party that can afford the most balloons...and we expect the governement of the day to 'do the opposition's job' and set out the counter argument in a manner, no stronger or weaker, than their own position..

McKenna will be revisited at some stage, either by the legislature or the SC,....probably in more affluent times ...when the country's less pre-occupied with where the next meal is coming from...

sadmal

It was very wrong and an attack on the democratic process to influence the result of a referendum.The Supreme court
found the spending was unfair. not equal or impartial, Mr Shatter was asked twice on radio and TV to apologize to the Irish people, His arrogance persisted and he did not do so.

How many peole actually read these information booklets produced by the commission? I never do, i've already made up my mind all on my own.

In my opinion Patricia McKenna was a pain in the arse, always complaining about something or other.

Last edited:

Rocky

Small margin at the end?! It was 16% or 169,868 votes. It was a very large margin.

Man or Mouse

Fianna Fail are past masters at it.

Man or Mouse

Depends. If Fianna Fail do it, its OK. I mean, this is what FF do, innit?

Anyone else, it's OH HELL!

Tea Party Patriot

Waters is a crackpot and it is a pity the IT give him a platform as there are plenty coherent and intelligent conservatives out there.

In this incidence whilst the govt was very wrong, it is silly to claim with certainty that this spend decided the vote
Well the real question though is who is answerable for this as there was a breach of the constitution, in fact a very serious one. If a rerun is not ordered and or is no one is prosecuted then can in theory a government spend what it likes on a referendum in future in flagrant breech of the constitutional position?

Tea Party Patriot

Small margin at the end?! It was 16% or 169,868 votes. It was a very large margin.
I don't think this particular referendum is the main point of contention here though, at the end of the day no one has been prosecuted or made answerable for the spending, does mean that in reality the government can ignore the constitutional position in future referendums, spend what it likes and be able to ignore the constitution?

There is far more at stake here than this referendum.

If you or I failed to pay our taxes in the current environment we would be swiftly prosecuted, yet the government has spent those same taxes illegally in breech of the constitution and no one seems to be answerable.

Ryan Tubbs

There's a very simple reason why this case is getting zero coverage: it is being taken by a very stupid woman, and has zero chance of success.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies