• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Liveline: Landlords whinge about the end of bedsits

potholedogger

Liveline is dealing with the change in the law requiring higher standards for what are known as bedsits which will require landlords to integrate units to make them bigger to meet minimum standards.

The landlords are very agitated citing concern for tenants welfare.

RTÉ Radio

My view is that bedsits allow landlords to harvest a huge rent from shabby properties that have very poor standards for tenants.

The Field Marshal

Bedsits are a great idea and also cheap.

The state busybodies are just making life more expensive and difficult for those on low incomes.

The costs of all rented accommodation will simply rise and students and others on low incomes will be further marginalised.

White Horse

Chuck the tenants out onto the street.

Plenty of room in doorways and under bridges.

D

Dylan2010

it would be like banning second hand cars, they serve a market. Weve all been there and it comes down to price.

potholedogger

Most pay over the odds for the bedsits they are living in, but they also dread looking for somewhere to live as they expect to have difficulty being accepted by landlords. That may be all in their heads but it makes them ideal candidates for slumlords. I don't think the economy will collapse if these bottom feeders are put out of business.

SilverSpurs

They serve a very useful purpose for students particularly. I would support a tough stand on stuff like building safety etc.

EUrJokingMeRight

bedsits are usually landlords dissecting a perfectly good house to maximise rental yield.

Changing a three bed into four cramped bedsits and you'll get more money seems to be the logic of the bedsit landlords.

They are not happy with the rent they'd get on renting out a three bedroom house, they just want a little more instead.

Personally I think this is a good move...there will be an adjustment period but sh1tholes like cramped dangerous bedsits should never be allowed near the market.

Hitch 22

Chuck the tenants out onto the street.

Plenty of room in doorways and under bridges.
F*ck that.

Put them in concentration camps and create a pool of slave labor to complete public works for a bowl of gruel a day or harvest them for organs.

Filth is what they are!:lol:

EUrJokingMeRight

Maybe some people want to live in bedsits?
In the same way that some would prefer to live in something the size of a prison cell!

What's wrong with minimum standards, such as a studio apartment instead?

H.R. Haldeman

So we've have an hour of complaining landlords, and not one single dissenting voice on? Not one single caller pointing out that sharing toilets with strangers is Dickensian? Nobody to point out that Threshold and Cori speak for vulnerable, poor people when they lobby for better housing conditions?

Not one caller pointing out that these very landlords were the ones who caused our property bubble? Nobody to point out that NAMA and the Banks are allowing boatloads of these people to keep their BTL's despite being underwater?

What about the hundreds of thousands of empty properties in the country? Why are those not being forced onto the market? Why are the banks and NAMA simply allowed sit on them while they access cheap ECB bailout money and wait for the property bubble to return?

What about the fact that there have been essentially zero repossessions on deadbeat landlords and home owners who are living in houses they can no more afford than renters would be, if only they'd been stupid enough to take massive mortgages they can't afford? No mention of the reward for stupidity that these landlords are demanding.

And what about the fact that each and every one of these callers (landlords) have mentioned Rent Supplement, showing that all of them are making their money from the State's teet?

That was probably the most sickening hour of broadcasting I've ever heard this year.

potholedogger

Maybe there is a market for cheaper mouldy bread, cheaper worn tyres, medicines that are out of date, cheaper rotten meat, cheaper televisions that burst into flames, etc!

EUrJokingMeRight

So we've have an hour of complaining landlords, and not one single dissenting voice on? Not one single caller pointing out that sharing toilets with strangers is Dickensian? Nobody to point out that Threshold and Cori speak for vulnerable, poor people when they lobby for better housing conditions?

Not one caller pointing out that these very landlords were the ones who caused our property bubble? Nobody to point out that NAMA and the Banks are allowing boatloads of these people to keep their BTL's despite being underwater?

What about the hundreds of thousands of empty properties in the country? Why are those not being forced onto the market? Why are the banks and NAMA simply allowed sit on them while they access cheap ECB bailout money and wait for the property bubble to return?

What about the fact that there have been essentially zero repossessions on deadbeat landlords and home owners who are living in houses they can no more afford than renters would be, if only they'd been stupid enough to take massive mortgages they can't afford? No mention of the reward for stupidity that these landlords are demanding.

And what about the fact that each and every one of these callers (landlords) have mentioned Rent Supplement, showing that all of them are making their money from the State's teet?

That was probably the most sickening hour of broadcasting I've ever heard this year.
I agree. I don't refer to RTE as 'the Goebbels channel' for nothing!

Truth.ie

Bedsit conditions are little different to conditions in Hostels.
Cramped. Shared bathroom down the corridor.
I've stayed in both in my day.
Are hostels to be banned?

potholedogger

I emailed the Show condeming bedsits but maybe they will cover the other side tomorrow!

D

Dylan2010

That I fully agree with, the lack of repos. and the state goosing the rental market by overpaying is why bedsits are more expensive than they should be. "I'm from the government and I'm here to help you"