• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Liveline post-Budget whinge in full flow

enby

Does the requirement of objectivity imposed by the Broadcasting Acts not apply to Liveline? We have had over half an hour of scaremongering and Govt bashing from DuFFy and his callers without any mention of the fact that the country is broke and is in hock to the Troika. Caller after caller is encouraged by DuFFy to attack the Govt with no restraint whatsoever.

The report into the Front Line debacle may as well be binned if these are the standards of balance to be operated by the State broadcaster

ShoutingIsLeadership

Does the requirement of objectivity imposed by the Broadcasting Acts not apply to Liveline? We have had over half an hour of scaremongering and Govt bashing from DuFFy and his callers without any mention of the fact that the country is broke and is in hock to the Troika. Caller after caller is encouraged by DuFFy to attack the Govt with no restraint whatsoever.

The report into the Front Line debacle may as well be binned if these are the standards of balance to be operated by the State broadcaster
Diddums.

People need to vent, just as you are doing now.

Crazy horse 6

The country is not broke. Plenty of money out there. Problem is the government is protecting the people who have it at the expense of the poor and coping classes.

Con Gallagher

Can anyone defend the cuts to carers, hike in fees to students and a flat tax to all (PRSI), given this context....?

Ireland's pre-Budget 2013 arithmetic:

Budget 2013 Cuts & Tax hikes = €3.5 billion
IL&P (bust state-owned 'bank') bonds repayments January 2013 = €2.45 billion
Promo Note (IBRC - toxic loans dump) repayment March 2013 = €3.1 billion
Interest on Government debt: 2011 = €3.9 billion, 2012 = €5.7 billion, 2013 = €8.1 billion, 2012-2013 increase of €2.4 billion
Adding things up: -€3.5 billion adjustment + €5.55 billion 'banks' wastage + €2.4 billion increase in Ireland financing for "our partners' help" = net €4.45 billion will be sucked out of this economy by pure policy psychosis.
69% of the entire annual adjustment on fiscal side, even assuming it will be delivered in the end, will go to fund increases in Government debt servicing in 2013 compared to 2012. These funds will be largely remitted to Ireland's new 'best friends' - the Troika and Franklin Templeton funds.
True Economics

enby

Diddums.

People need to vent, just as you are doing now.
I have absolutely no problem with people venting especially when they are terrified by the implications of the Budget. My complaint is that RTE have abandoned all pretence of objectivity

off with their heads

why should there be restraint the government has decided that NO ONE EVER owned their house or never will.....dont be such a fckn poodle its unbecoming of a man

thebig C

I often wonder at that. Despite Duffys frequent glib protestations to callers regarding libel, I have witnessed them stray over the line on a few occasions.

Particularly in relation to Referendums, I am surprised that Liveline has not been seriously called to account before now.

C

ShoutingIsLeadership

I have absolutely no problem with people venting especially when they are terrified by the implications of the Budget. My complaint is that RTE have abandoned all pretence of objectivity
You are realising this today?

culmore

too many people in this country living off the State, ie, us the Taxpayers, why should i work hard have most of my money taken back to let others breed like rabbits and lie in bed all day in a free house and then spent the night drinking and smoking, at my expeense. time to tell joe and all the other do-gooders to fu ck off and if people want something let them work for it

ShoutingIsLeadership

I often wonder at that. Despite Duffys frequent glib protestations to callers regarding libel, I have witnessed them stray over the line on a few occasions.

Particularly in relation to Referendums, I am surprised that Liveline has not been seriously called to account before now.

C
Leech to get

RTÉ has agreed to pay communications consultant Monica Leech €250,000 in libel damages.

Mrs Leech took a libel action against RTÉ's Liveline programme as a result of comments made on the radio show in December 2004.

In an apology read out to the High Court, RTÉ said comments were made in the course of the discussion suggesting Mrs Leech had secured well-paid State contracts by virtue of having an adulterous sexual relationship with Minister Martin Cullen.

carlovian

Now the unsung heroes of the recession.

The landlady with 4 properties.

It cant be easy.

niall78

P.ie Liveline post-Budget whinge in full flow....................