• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Living in an Ethnically Homogenous Neighborhood Boosts Health

Chi019

Apparently acts as a preventative measure for cancer and heart disease. For the same reasons that diversity causes trust and civic participation to drop, it may very well cause an increase in stress, and with it an increase in major illnesses?

An African-American or Mexican-American senior living in a community where many neighbors share their background is less likely to have cancer or heart disease than their counterpart in a more mixed neighborhood.

Results of the new study by Kimberly Alvarez, a PhD student at Columbia University’s Mailman School of Public Health, and Becca Levy, PhD, associate professor of Epidemiology and Psychology at the Yale School of Public Health, appear in the American Journal of Public Health.
Living in Ethnically Homogenous Area Boosts Health of Minority Seniors | News | Mailman School of Public Health

Apparently acts as a preventative measure for cancer and heart disease. For the same reasons that diversity causes trust and civic participation to drop, it may very well cause an increase in stress, and with it an increase in major illnesses?

Living in Ethnically Homogenous Area Boosts Health of Minority Seniors | News | Mailman School of Public Health
All the more reason to integrate more - forward to the day when people feel 'among their own' with people of any colour or background... With the added benefit that some genetic diversity brings in terms of stronger immune systems...

ScreeOrTalus

All the more reason to integrate more - forward to the day when people feel 'among their own' with people of any colour or background... With the added benefit that some genetic diversity brings in terms of stronger immune systems...
Robert Putnam said much the same thing about his own findings.

Chi019

@ Toxic Avenger,

You mean forced intermarriage? I'm not sure how you'd reach your planned utopia otherwise - looking at the US, assimilation isn't that high (looking at dating site results, white/middle class flight discussed by Malcolm Gladwell in Tipping Point - once communities become 20% African-american the remaining whites tend to leave quite quickly due to the increase in crime eg. Detroit).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/post/school-segregation-sharply-increasing-studies-show/2012/09/22/5b34111a-04c6-11e2-91e7-2962c74e7738_blog.html

ScreeOrTalus

Racial and ethnic diversity just doesn't work. It's as simple as that.

Ideology says that diversity is a good thing.

Reality shows otherwise.

@ Toxic Avenger,

You mean forced intermarriage? I'm not sure how you'd reach your planned utopia otherwise - looking at the US, assimilation isn't that high (looking at dating site results, white/middle class flight discussed by Malcolm Gladwell in Tipping Point - once communities become 20% African-american the remaining whites tend to leave quite quickly due to the increase in crime eg. Detroit).

School segregation sharply increasing, studies show - The Answer Sheet - The Washington Post
I live in London. It's quite common here. Generally after two or three generations, no-one gives a crap any more.

Chi019

I live in London. It's quite common here. Generally after two or three generations, no-one gives a crap any more.
That was one thing that I wondered about with this US based research - would those results be replicated in London or Paris, and other cities with similarly diverse populations.

Billy the Prod

Well this is an argument against multiculturalism if I ever encountered one.

Like attracts like. Birds of a feather flock together.

We feel more at home among our own.

That's not racism. That's social scientific fact.

Boy M5

I seem to recall that when the (criminal) Nazis took over in Germany the first people they terrorised was their own people - Germans. Thst wasn't very good for the health of the German people.

Chi019

What are Ireland or Britain but nations made up of waves of immigrants and invaders all coalescing to eventully form a cohesive national identity?
That's true, although you're obviously dealing with invaders from a similar population group (eg european). Whether you can get a similarly cohesive national identity if the main ancestry of the population is from asia or africa, is another question.

Boy M5

2 greatest cities in the World? london and New York.
Made up of immigrants.

Chi019

I seem to recall that when the (criminal) Nazis took over in Germany the first people they terrorised was their own people - Germans. Thst wasn't very good for the health of the German people.
No, although I'm not aware of anyone proposing that?

Well this is an argument against multiculturalism if I ever encountered one.

Like attracts like. Birds of a feather flock together.

We feel more at home among our own.

That's not racism. That's social scientific fact.
And perhaps within a couple of generations perceptions of what counts as 'our own' will be based on professional interest, or musical taste, or class, or on what football club you follow, or whatever. What counts as 'other' will change as the generations pass. It already has, in fact, certainly here in London.

Chi019

2 greatest cities in the World? london and New York.
Made up of immigrants.
They were the greatest cities in the world when they were predominantly people of European ancestry. In fact they still are. New York has particularly gentrified.

It would be interesting to see whether they would be if they became majority African or say, majority Islamic.

That's true, although you're obviously dealing with invaders from a similar population group (eg european). Whether you can get a similarly cohesive national identity if the main ancestry of the population is from asia or africa, is another question.
Back then, from antiquity to the middle ages, those invaders were not considered 'similar', they might as well have been from other planets.

ScreeOrTalus

You debate with Liberalism.

You defeat it.

ScreeOrTalus

They were the greatest cities in the world when they were predominantly people of European ancestry. In fact they still are. New York has particularly gentrified.

It would be interesting to see whether they would be if they became majority African or say, majority Islamic.
They would be sh*tholes.