Living in Ireland - Likes and Dislikes

malman

What do you like about living in Ireland?
What do you dislike about living in Ireland?

Factorem

Like: countryside (what's left of it), beaches, wildlife
Dislike: middle-class uppityness on display on Dawson/Leeson Street, corrupt politicians, anti-religious sentiment

peadarmc

Like: Traditional pubs, culture, language and music etc (as well as irish idioms of the english language!)

Dislike: The complete loss of any form of decency in Irish politics, public life and the lack of foresight of the government and population as a whole with regard to the recession!

5intheface

Like - St. Mullins in Carlow
Dislike - Portrush

TheIrishRover

Like.....hmmmm

Dislike loads stuck up Irish women with D4 accents even though they are from Leitrim, and the majority now who look at you with suspicion like you may be a potential rapist should you perhaps engage in conversation,skangers Knackers, Premiership jersey wearing fools, obsession with our near neighbours,corrupt FF, our lack of humility which we have lost with the Celtic Tiger-keeping up with the Jones syndrome which contributed to this mess. Church bashing liberal leftie trendiness crap etc.
Lack of public facilities space.

Irelands anti-intellectual celebrity culture oh and the weather.

Deise Pride

Excellent Question....

Like: Our humour, countryside, GAA, Language, Music....

Dislike: Anti-church sentiment, weather, growing racism, trade unions, dependency on alcohol to have a good time...

Bakunin

likes - the sound of our language, the trad. music, the openness of the people, the western seaboard, hurling, the freedom we enjoy to speak as we do about our so-called leaders,
dislikes - weather, destruction of the countryside, disdain for our own language and other manifestations of lack of culture, that stupid faux-American accent beloved of so many young wans and general aping of their cultural norms, tedious blaming of the Brits for everything but aping of so many of their cultural norms, lack of proper regard for science/technology/entrepreneurship, clientist politics

and what Irish Rover said above

Last edited:

Bobert

Connemara. Every single aspect of it.

Connuaght loosing to Munster...

DaBrow

What do you like about living in Ireland?
What do you dislike about living in Ireland?

Like: Culture, Music, Irish Language, History & Tradition, Community spirit, the distinct idigenous cultural diversity of our own people in each province.

Dislike: Anti-Religious sentiment, Political Corruption, Redtape, Healthcare that should be universal, disproportionate amount of non-nationals present here (Ethnic Prejudice is growing because of this!), people whom bad mouth the irish language and both ignorant dublin/country peoples grief toward one another.

Factorem

I'll second: GAA, music, community spirit, traditional pubs, gaeilge, humour, friendliness (what's left of it)

Other dislikes: the neuve landed classes (the Ulster planters would be proud), protectionist taxation on farm land, extortionate property prices, rip-off rents and modern day tenaments.

Magror14

Good things off the top of my head:

1.Rugby internationals (including latterly Heineken Cup Matches)

2. Springtime (May and June)

3 Islandness of the country, coastline, maritime birdlife, the sea).

4 Half-assedness of most things

5. Guinness (can't drink as much of same as I used to)

6. Moss, Ivy

7. Pub life (not as much as before, thank God)

8. Irish Music

9. Proximity to mainland Europe.

Things I don't like

1. Weather, could be one or two degrees warmer

2. Tribalism of Irish culture, particularly outside of Dublin

spidermom

LIKE: long quiet stretches of glorious beaches,Wexford and Sligo in particular.The way you can still (thank god) strike up a ordinary decent conversation with someone and find a common(ish) ground. And the way you always know someone who knows someone you know!!!

Dislikes:The yummy mummy brigade,all hair straighteners and blonde highlights(very personal pet hate as I just about get 4 of them dressed and out the door on time not to mind ME washing my face first!!!)
Anti emigrant S**t , yes there are wasters among them, but only the really clever ones who have cottoned on to our way of thinking!!!
THE WAY THE HEALTH SERVICE IS BEING DECIMATED!!!
Our "we're entitled" mentality( unchanged by the decade me fears)

AND (this is gonna be unpopular) despite its craven and appalling hurt it has inflicted the lack of understanding of the good that the church has given to us as a nation in the past.

H.R. Haldeman

Like: countryside (what's left of it), beaches, wildlife
Dislike: middle-class uppityness on display on Dawson/Leeson Street, corrupt politicians, anti-religious sentiment

Almost identical to my list:

Dislike: countryside (what's left of it), beaches, wildlife
Like: middle-class uppityness on display on Dawson/Leeson Street, corrupt politicians, anti-religious sentiment

Eurocitizen

The things I like about living in Ireland.

The people in General
The city centre of Dublin
The old bars
The whole 32 counties in General and the things they have to offer
The high standard of living
The politicians from all parties
The health service although not perfect the medical staff does so much good.
The church
The weather
The prices
The opportunities
The ground I walk on.

The things I dislike.

People whom live in Ireland and want to be British
People who blame their failures on society
People who keep knocking Ireland
People who knock our politicians and political system all the time (all parties)
People who live beyond their means
People who do not avail of the educational opportunities to improve their situation
People who give no credit to our health service and the Nurses and Doctors and the great things they do and only talk about the bad things.
The drug problem
Those living in poverty through no fault of their own
Those who never worked and never will
Greedy people
Wingers
Bad Guinness
Young people starting to smoke
Young people drinking to much
The hypocrites who judge others on how they live
Joe Duffy.

Ireland is a great place to live with so much to offer, unfortunately people cannot see all the good things and sensationalise the bad things .We have a great quality of life compared to many other countries. We sometimes do not appreciate what we have and for some reason only talk about the failings.

We have a section of our society that believe they are owed a living, In saying that we have a majority that work hard and enjoy what they have and get on with it.
I think it should be compulsory that every student spend a year living outside Ireland not only will they appreciate the family unit but they will maybe learn that life is about what you can do for yourself and not what others should do for you.

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
Constitutional requirement for referenda, Proportional-Representation.
neutrality. laid-back accent outside Dublin. Gaelscoil-movement, Lisbon no vote, neoclassical architecture of govt-buildings (formerly RCS), growing secularism of people, heroic national history.

Dislikes:
Violent criminals, judges being soft on crime, parents who knowingly let their children engage in crime, constant rain, politicians pushing Lisbon, public-sector monopolies that rip us off, lawyers/judges holding up deportations in court, media that are soft on asylum and are pushing Lisbon.

JCSkinner

Website
skinflicks.blogspot.com
Like: the Irish people, their manner, friendliness and openness and generosity.
Dislike: the partition of our nation and its ongoing occupation by a foreign power, the attempt to eradicate the Irish people via mass unplanned and unchecked immigration, corruption among our politicians.

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
The warmth of the Irish people. Our very beautiful landscapes in all the counties, but especially those with coastlines, dramatic and otherwise. Our distinctive culture, just about all of it, especially in music an the visual arts. Our outrageous Comedians!
The openess that surprises the hell out of visitors.

Living here is absolutely marvellous in comparison to the 32 years I spent in England, 1949 till 1981.

Ireland's National Music Park. (An idea warmly welcomed on other Irish Forums) I'll be developing the idea and hope people here will mention it elsewhere. Good ideas cannot be left to the unimaginative.

I dislike the attempts to denigrate Ireland and it's wonderful people especially by those that should Know better, and secretly do!!! :)

An Extraordinary Story.

farnaby

To add to many of the above:

Likes: literary heritage, monastic ruins dotting the landscape, skerries on a cold sunny day, seeing dublin bay on approach to the airport, girls with nordie accents, the proximity of history

Dislikes: cute hoorism, me feinism, fawning dependence on FDI, political stagnation, foreign directors making better films about ireland than the irish do, poor copies of crap foreign tv shows.

Pauli

Likes: County Fermanagh in autumn, Fanad Peninsula in winter, decent Guinness, traditional music, our rich literary history, some of our architecture, the Botanic Gardens, parts of County Wicklow, Newgrange, proper Irish oysters, the easy-going manner of most people.

Dislikes:
Rampant, unchecked, immensely damaging corruption in almost every walk of life,
ripoff cartels,
moronic, clientalist gombeen politics,
inept government,
lack of law enforcement
acceptance of below-average standards (particularly in housing).
ludicrous level of VAT.
the wilfull destruction of the health service for commercial reasons
The inability to see beyond, and the obsession with, the UK.
Right-wing demagogues insisting they are right (the evidence confirms otherwise).

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies