Living on a Prayer...

Armchair Activist

If Ireland is to have any chance of reclaiming prosperity for its people, we need to say to hell with the hunger pains today for the sake of tomorrow. Put every last penny we have into education and small to mid size businesses, funding of high tech start-ups, provisions of legal, financial, engineering services and consultation..

Kids need to realise that the status-quo model of falling in line does not work in a world that will jump on each others backs to get a crumb. We need to be smarter, more innovative with not just business models but with education, even general society as a whole. We need to grow tight knit communities.

Children should be capable of designing websites, and drafting business plans by the time they leave primary school. By the completion of secondary they should be capable of A+ or similar advanced computer programming standards, but also to cultivate their creativity. We need to teach them the system, how the banks work.. the benefits of equity capital over debt based when seeking investment for business startups or developments.

To teach them what the world needs, how to deliver and sell it. We are competing in a global economy, the fruit is there for the taking should we figure out smarter ways to get it. Us adults have knowledge to pass on, it will be our children who use this to generate new ideas and models of running business and communities.

The future for our smart economy relies almost entirely on our ability to collaborate with one another on all levels of economic and social dealings. Local forums need to be established, 'think tanks if you will, comprising of our sports, education, commerce, arts leaders.

Ideas must come to the forefront... no longer can we be stupid enough to believe it is possible to remain within an established system that has long been out of touch, while the of the world is and will continue to evolve.

The fact of the matter is that there is no perfect or ideal system, the only thing that comes close is a system that is highly reactive and capable of evolving with the times. We need a system of government that can adapt rapidly with legalisation, policies, micro scale and macro.

I pray for our futures sake that one day, a system of governance will emerge with the consent of 'the people'. The reality is that it will be eGovernment that will eventually allow power of democracy. More transparency in what it is these 'leaders' are getting up to behind closed doors.

The future of Ireland is living on a prayer. Anyone care to answer it???

When we look back on this small country we see such a great history, where men of little means came to prominence by sacrificing their lives, the only problem is that they could see their enemy and the tyranny rulership that oppressed them. Today we have don't have that luxury, few people are smart enough to even realise their lives are actually been ruled over. Among them few have the ability to do something.

Well my fellow Irish men and women… it is time to get angry. Before it truly is beyond faith, to say I am a human being free to live in a peacful and prosporus world..

Last edited:

Paddythai

Brilliant post.
I totally agree with the above.
I do however strongly believe our children need to be taught a moral code, ethics, a holistic approach to life. Too many kids go through education and come out the other end as money making machines not caring about each other.

I see a bright future coming out of the quagmire of the old World Order and the next generation flourishing in the new World.

Planet Earth is a rich place, rich in material as well as cultural wealth.

DeGaulle 2.0

Website
ga.wikipedia.org
I completely disagree.

Children should get a proper education in English Irish and Maths, etc.

Instead of shoving business plans and technology down 12 year old throats, maybe we should look at an approach like Google's - in secondary school, children should have a normal school day 4 days a week and let them study what they want on the fifth day.

cry freedom

Sappy clowns should be hung for treason... they sold us out.

What little hope exists for the future of our children, where will the money come from to bring the school classrooms out of the dark ages into the highly technological and digital age the rest of the world now lives in.

If Ireland is to have any chance of reclaiming prosperity for its people, we need to say to hell with the hunger pains today for the sake of tomorrow. Put every last penny we got left into education and small to mid size businesses, funding of high tech start-ups, provisions of legal, financial, engineering services and consultation..

Our kids need to realise that the age old model of falling in line will not work in a world that will jump on each others backs to get a crumb. We need to be smarter, more innovative with not just business models but with education, even general society as a whole. We need to grow tight knit communities, where our it truly is one for all, all for one. Our children should be capable of designing websites, and drafting business plans by the time they leave primary school. By the completion of secondary they should be capable of A+ programming standards, but for us also to cultivate their creativity. We need to teach them the system, how the banks work.. the benefits of equity capital over debt based when seeking investment for business startups or developments. Teach them what the world needs, how to deliver it to them and sell it. We are competing in a global economy, the fruit is there for the taking should we figure out smarter ways to get it. Us adults have knowledge to pass on, it will be our children who use this to generate new ideas and models of running business and communities.

The future for our smart economy relies almost entirely on our ability to collaborate with one another on all levels of economic and social dealings. Local forums need to be established, 'think tanks if you will, comprising of our sports, education, commerce, arts leaders.

Ideas must come to the forefront... no longer can we be stupid enough to believe it is possible to remain within an established system that has long been out of touch, while the of the world is and will continue to evolve.

The fact of the matter is that there is no perfect or ideal system, the only thing that comes close is a system that is highly reactive and capable of evolving with the times. We need a system of government that can adapt rapidly with legalisation, policies, micro scale and macro.

I pray for our futures sake that one day, a system of governance will emerge with the consent of 'the people'. The reality is that it will be eGovernment that will eventually allow power of democracy. More transparency in what it is these criminals are getting up to behind closed doors.

The future of Ireland truly is living on a prayer. Anyone care to answer it??? When we look back on this small country we see such a great history, where men of little means came to prominence by sacrificing their lives, the only problem is that they could see their enemy and the tyranny rulership that oppressed them. Today we have not got that luxury, few people are smart enough to even realise their lives are actually been ruled over. Among them few have the ability to do something. Well my fellow Irish men and women… it is time to get angry. Before it truly is beyond faith to say I am a human being free to live in a peace and prosporus world.
I admire anyone who tries to think outside the box. Well done.
After the 3 Rs, [ which should be the basis of any education], the next thing to be learned is how to make a living and contribute to a vibrant economy.
From the profits of a vibrant economy most good things come.
This should be done at the expense of the current practices in teaching Irish.
Irish and geography and history and a whole lot of other things can easily be learned later [by those interested in them] when they return to their comfortable rooms after a day of making a good living.
Most will probably watch English soccer, but they do that today even after 14+ years of Irish and other "stocking filler" subjects being hammered into them.
Fan clubs should be supported and kept afloat by the subscriptions of their fans and not out of general taxation.

savina10

First Post:

Advice please - am sitting looking at the wall the last hour with a tightness in my heart. Trying to gather my thoughts for teaching 'Democracy' tomorrow in a class of disenfranchised young people. How do I begin to explain this new chapter?
The shackles, the straight jacket, the legacy they wont be able to understand just yet, the monumental losses, the greed and corruption, the lack of consequence for white collar crime, expoited fiscal markets, shambolic sovereignty, the abyss of the financial hole and the self serving politicians with a foot on all our heads.

Am in a rage and fit to COMBUST :mad

Mitsui2

First Post:

Advice please - am sitting looking at the wall the last hour with a tightness in my heart. Trying to gather my thoughts for teaching 'Democracy' tomorrow in a class of disenfranchised young people. How do I begin to explain this new chapter?
The shackles, the straight jacket, the legacy they wont be able to understand just yet, the monumental losses, the greed and corruption, the lack of consequence for white collar crime, expoited fiscal markets, shambolic sovereignty, the abyss of the financial hole and the self serving politicians with a foot on all our heads.

Am in a rage and fit to COMBUST :mad
Welcome Savina!

Re your young people -

Trust them.

Tell them that democracy in the modern sense is a compact between rulers and ruled.

We - the ruled - say to a or b (would-be rulers who put themselves forward): "We will give you power. You will use that power for the benefit of all. Mess it up and we will remove that power"

Then show them that the current situation is the result of neither party keeping the contract - they did not use the power we gave for the benefit of all; and we did not remove them.

Invariably this leads to some variety of where we are now.

Leastways this time there's no tanks involved.

That in itself could be the basis of another lesson: that everything is relative.

Armchair Activist

I am sure if anyone here really wants to reflect deeply upon the actual fundamental principals and meaning of 'democracy' you will soon come to realise that it is the internet that has given birth to a much truer form of it.

In time it will be technology that will allow such systems to really develop with society. No doubt we will always live in an enviorment where people are highly competitive for resouces as long as we put financial price tags on them.

But for the sake of Irelands future social and economic secuirty we have to come to terms with the great limitations that exist for us... our only hope at competing for global status as a world class destination for investment is to become smarter. Obviously this does not remain confined to web technologies but more so in the research and development of other high tech products. R & D is what Ireland MUST become greatly associated with. Even today there exists great oppurtunity for Ireland to attract investment invovled with te reseach of stemcells.. much due to the US's legal stance on the ground breaking medical science.

Other forms of economic ventures can come from our third level institutes where upon they involve themselves in greater global business ventures, examples would inculde sports development services & consultation, arts development, whatever the hell it is a developing country is willing to pay for. Gift of the gab is what we are Irish are famous for, we could seel ice to the eskimos some might say. SO how god dam hard is it to take a team working on behalf of the Irish state and pitch ideas to governments, developments banks etc around the world responsible for spending bilions of dollars on exactly that. Business is everywhere, we need to get over the beliefe that work is only determined by the people responsible for hiring. For anyone with enough skill and knowledge, there is a place within a company for them regardless of whether they are hiring or not. All it takes is someone to present ideas and potential business projects or ventures to them.

I am so feckin annoyed right now.. I feel like screaming at every person I meet just how god dam blind and brain dead they have become by watching these idiotic morans who cant even run their own lives. I'll be damed if they ever try run mine or my families.

As I said just keeping praying that our saviour that is the internet will soon develop systems that berid of these flawed 'big' government and ecocomic systems.

Its time to go local... back to basics, more importantly with our banking institutes. to hell with government bonds and other ridicoulous products they make up out of their stupid minds. A bank at its most basic is a place where someone can keep money safe as well as borrow for whatever reasons to better themselves. Why have we allowed them to become much more that that. Why is does there not exist as many banks (as in physical secure buildings) as there is towns or Villages within Ireland? Mononply is GOD DAM why!

Why are banks owned by private interests, as in the loaning of money into an economy creates profit that very few fat cats can grow fatter on. Why are they not all owned by the state where upon profits can go back into the economy?

Publically owned, privatly run is all I have to say... goodnight Ireland.

Armchair Activist

@savina...

Tell them the truth... it is the very least they deserve. I just wish there were more teachers in Ireland with enough guts to to do it. I remember from my schoold days a religion teacher in a school that didnt even teach history respond to the question of one confused student asking why it was that palestine was now been called Israel.

Her response been "it just is" and so continued on reading the ************************************************ lies in the textbook.

I'll never forget that to the day I die.. is this what we want our children to subscibe to?

To take authority as truth rather than truth as authority is sure to see minds become completely brainwashed never mind seeing them develop into powerful creative machines capable of innovating the world we live in.

Armchair Activist

as regards the education structure I advocate a system that merges each and every subjust into one big project after an other. A curiculm where each subject is relevant to the next one.

As regards teachers I also advocate a system that supports their continual education, no one has a complete understanding of life but we can always learns more. Just have a look at any well performing school and see what they are doing properly, perhaps they their teachers are highly passionette and this reflects in the class room and the students work. perhaps the students come from well to do or established familes and so know the benefits of advanced education, well why not educate the parents of students of lesser means... enlighten them.

Schools need to utilise to its full potential the technology that is now available, such as web and network systems and the advanced digiatal medias. More importantly the curriculm needs to evolve to this higher standard of technological understanding.

Indeed the world needs ditch diggers as well as the designers but in all fairness, I'm sure the world has a fair supply of banjo players just lining up for the work already. Do we really want to send our kids to line up along side the many billions of other monkeys or do we want to give them the know how and ideas to form their own ques?

All is not lost for Ireland.. we need creative vision and leadership but it is possible to turn things around. But we need the ship full of vibrant fresh faces on board not a load of oldies still living in the old days. Its got to happen sooner or later or these young talents will be lost to the competition.

Sure anyway...

Armchair Activist

What is the speculation right now as to the extent of education cuts does anyone know?

thegreyfox

Prayer -probably the only thing that wont be taxed in the budget.Just dont mention it to Lenihan.!!!

Armchair Activist

I admire anyone who tries to think outside the box. Well done.
After the 3 Rs, [ which should be the basis of any education], the next thing to be learned is how to make a living and contribute to a vibrant economy.
From the profits of a vibrant economy most good things come.
This should be done at the expense of the current practices in teaching Irish.
Irish and geography and history and a whole lot of other things can easily be learned later [by those interested in them] when they return to their comfortable rooms after a day of making a good living.
Most will probably watch English soccer, but they do that today even after 14+ years of Irish and other "stocking filler" subjects being hammered into them.
Fan clubs should be supported and kept afloat by the subscriptions of their fans and not out of general taxation.
I think about this subject quite often and agree with what you're saying on so called stocking filler subjects. Two subjects or disciplines/skills I think are crucial in any economy will be carpentry and computing.

Both involved mathematics and require structural planning. Once learned it is easier for the person to acquire additional skills or disciplines like tool making or electronics

New Threads