Liz O'Donnell appointed chair of Road Safety Authority

Sister Mercedes

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com
This Govt doesn't seem to realize that if they only appoint women, that isn't diversity.
they have a rule where its atleast 40 % of either gender Justice Dept pilot Talent Bank of women qualified to serve on State Boards The Department of Justice and Equality: Government approves new measures to promote gender balance on State Boards

Gender Equality: Talent Bank Under Construction

http://www.publicjobs.ie/publicjobs/publication/document/2014_1125_Guidelines_Appointments_to_State_Boards.pdf
16.1 a) Each Department should as part of the implementation of the arrangements set out under these Guidelines for the filling of vacancies on State Boards prepare a plan to reaffirm and achieve the target of at least 40% for representation of each gender on State Boards within its remit during the lifetime of the present Government.

Last edited:

Mushroom

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com
Good news for the taxpayer. The fewer meetings they attended, the less the Travel and Subsistence they were able to claim!
its a question whether they are doing the job or is Ross right to criticise them Revealed: Ross and O'Donnell in showdown, as road deaths mount - Independent.ie
She said it was true that some board members had missed meetings due to "personal or professional reasons" but said his charge of "a la carte attitude'' by named board members was "ill-judged and offensive".
perhaps those appointed by Labour and Fine Gael in government are actually not that interested in attending RSA meetings and should quit, interesting tactic of Ross keep the board just over the quorum so they are forced to attend meetings or quit.

Aideen Carberry only attended 6 out of 12 meetings in 2014 http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/About Us/RSA Annual Report 2014 web.pdf John Mulvihill was much better 10 out of 12

maybe Fine Gael and the Indo are so pissed at Ross for not reappoining Fine Gaelers Sean Finan and Ronan Melvin when their terms were up last Autumn

Last edited:

Baron von Biffo

The number of drivers getting penalty points down 8.5% in a year, and that despite the extraordinary allocation of speed vans to the inappropriately low limit on the M7 works at Naas.

The number of gardaí nominally dedicated to roads policing down 100 to 648.

Perhaps choosing the chair of the RSA to fill a 'diversity' quota wasn't the best idea after all.

General Urko

The number of drivers getting penalty points down 8.5% in a year, and that despite the extraordinary allocation of speed vans to the inappropriately low limit on the M7 works at Naas.

Perhaps choosing the chair of the RSA to fill a 'diversity' quota wasn't the best idea after all.
In fairness now, the pigz have a lot more on their plates now with having to arrest consenting adults having sex with each other in private, which is obviously an incredibly serious criminal offence!! :mad:

locke

The problem isn't the diversity quota. The problem is the 'has no knowledge of the area, but is politically useful quota'. In fairness, she had a marginally better background for the job than her predecessor.

Baron von Biffo

The problem isn't the diversity quota. The problem is the 'has no knowledge of the area, but is politically useful quota'. In fairness, she had a marginally better background for the job than her predecessor.
You can have someone who has the knowledge, experience and skills necessary to do the job, or you can have quotas.

By definition quotas exist to ensure that people who don't meet the criteria to get the job on merit are are ranked higher than those who do.

Rural

You can have someone who has the knowledge, experience and skills necessary to do the job, or you can have quotas.

By definition quotas exist to ensure that people who don't meet the criteria to get the job on merit are are ranked higher than those who do.
Every position should be awarded on merit. Quotas are not good for anyone, especially the person (a woman usually) who gets the job because of quotas.

Back in the day some people were slipped into jobs because of connections (pull) and I saw them become very angry people just because they were way beyond the level of their incompetence.

Gay Byrne picked Liz as his successor, he never hid the fact that he had a penchant for slim blondes.

Baron von Biffo

Every position should be awarded on merit. Quotas are not good for anyone, especially the person (a woman usually) who gets the job because of quotas.

[...]
I doubt very much is people who take on quota jobs lose much sleep over not being able to do them properly.

Such people tend to see themselves as victims for whom quotas are necessary because the competent have an 'unfair' advantage.

My dismay is due to the fact that we still don't have a proper road safety authority.

Rural

I doubt very much is people who take on quota jobs lose much sleep over not being able to do them properly.

Such people tend to see themselves as victims for whom quotas are necessary because the competent have an 'unfair' advantage.

My dismay is due to the fact that we still don't have a proper road safety authority.
I'd lose sleep if I felt I wasn't up to the job.

But I suppose we all judge situations on our own standards.

The RSA were given a lot of responsibilities, including issuing of Licences, I have one of the new card licences but my Husband has the old one, which is in bits because he had to carry it around in his wallet (RSA brought that in before everyone had a card licence). It's always the cart before the horse.

Baron von Biffo

I'd lose sleep if I felt I wasn't up to the job.

But I suppose we all judge situations on our own standards.
But then you've said that you're opposed to quotas so presumably you wouldn't accept a quota position in the first place.

My point is that those who accept, or even seek out, quota positions are less likely to be troubled by such scruples.

The RSA were given a lot of responsibilities, including issuing of Licences, I have one of the new card licences but my Husband has the old one, which is in bits because he had to carry it around in his wallet (RSA brought that in before everyone had a card licence). It's always the cart before the horse.
The admin stuff I don't much care about. People unnecessarily dying and suffering dreadful injuries on the roads because we won't set up a proper body to prevent it is another story.

General Urko

How é would you d
If you want people to take your post seriously then maybe you should consider dropping the puerile slang.
escri
If you want people to take your post seriously then maybe you should consider dropping the puerile slang.
I can't think of a more apt description for a group who have disgraced themselves so much!
Let's get real here, they are one of those bunches who give the noble art of felatio a bad name!

Baron von Biffo

Another RSA proposal to make more rules.

A great idea if there was the remotest chance of it being enforced but this is Ireland so there's not a hope.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies